extension based on retirement

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

My expiry 31 Jan. 2021,  Do I need to consider 'Elite' ?  BIG money to get back to the condo.  Would be about 19,000-20,000 USD after all said and done - flight, ASQ, etc....  Thinking hard. 

You might want to consider applying for a Thailand Elite visa. Once the approval is given, you can then decide (based on the situation at the time) whether to pay and go ahead.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

You might want to consider applying for a Thailand Elite visa. Once the approval is given, you can then decide (based on the situation at the time) whether to pay and go ahead.

Thanks, surely I don't want this route. What about all us Non O yearly extension holders anyway ?

Just now, CANSIAM said:

Thanks, surely I don't want this route. What about all us Non O yearly extension holders anyway ?

You will be able to return when Thailand opens for tourists. When that will be is anyone's guess. 

A vaccine next year could speed things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

My expiry 31 Jan. 2021,  Do I need to consider 'Elite' ?  BIG money to get back to the condo.  Would be about 19,000-20,000 USD after all said and done - flight, ASQ, etc....  Thinking hard. 

I THINK that every month it will get easier and easier, with more flights and less restrictions.

Thailand wants to play it safe so still requires quarantine in state hotels, but as the situation

improves the quarantine will be allowed in private apartments as well...i think

that around march or april it is going to be much easier.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I THINK that every month it will get easier and easier, with more flights and less restrictions.

Thailand wants to play it safe so still requires quarantine in state hotels, but as the situation

Perhaps you can quarantine on a boat ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1179143-getting-into-thailand-via-sea/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I think it'll get easier for a month or two.

Then there will be a load more infections.

Then there will be a total lockdown and border block.

Repeat until the end of the world.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You will be able to return when Thailand opens for tourists. When that will be is anyone's guess. 

A vaccine next year could speed things up.

Thought Non O Ret. would have some sort of status over 'tourists', they are not coming in with 25k+ USD as we have in their banks yearly.  Hurry up vaccine. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Thought Non O Ret. would have some sort of status over 'tourists', they are not coming in with 25k+ USD as we have in their banks yearly.  Hurry up vaccine. 

After more people have been allowed to apply for certificates of entry and enter the country they might include those normally staying here based upon retirement.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After more people have been allowed to apply for certificates of entry and enter the country they might include those normally staying here based upon retirement.

Thank you ubonjoe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

How did you come up with the number 19-20,000 USD? You don't have to go for the most expensive ASQ-hotel. ฿30,000-35,000 will be ok. That's just around 1,000-1,100 USD using the current exchange rate. Then the flight, which is not very expensive (+ a virus test and a fit-to-fly certificate). Compare that to ฿500,000 for the Elite card. Thinking hard about what? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

How did you come up with the number 19-20,000 USD? You don't have to go for the most expensive ASQ-hotel. ฿30,000-35,000 will be ok. That's just around 1,000-1,100 USD using the current exchange rate. Then the flight, which is not very expensive (+ a virus test and a fit-to-fly certificate). Compare that to ฿500,000 for the Elite card. Thinking hard about what? 

Maybe a little high,  I was calculating Business class, from what I have read there's not many seats or none for expats in economy on many repatriation flights. I would think in Business, far less chance of catching anything from the untested locals. ( On a previous post I said considering to apply for Elite to get back ).

Edited by CANSIAM

I would wait for two more months to see if long-stay permit holders are allowed back in.  If tourists are allowed back in after your permission to stay expires, then visa waiver, 90 Non-O and a new one—year extension might be the most economical route.  I expect that there will be a couple of vaccines available Q1 to Q2 of next year.   It’s a bit risky but the authorities are exploring every option to re-admit tourists ASAP.

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I would wait for two more months to see if long-stay permit holders are allowed back in.  If tourists are allowed back in after your permission to stay expires, then visa waiver, 90 Non-O and a new one—year extension might be the most economical route.  I expect that there will be a couple of vaccines available Q1 to Q2 of next year.   It’s a bit risky but the authorities are exploring every option to re-admit tourists ASAP.

Yeah thanks, wait and observe. Jan 31 is 5 months away things can happen, I'm sure there will be 'high season' pressure on authorities soon to add to the risk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Yeah thanks, wait and observe. Jan 31 is 5 months away things can happen, I'm sure there will be 'high season' pressure on authorities soon to add to the risk

I’m in a similar situation whereby my extension of stay is due early next year and currently fly I’m stuck in the UK, don’t meet the coming back criteria and even if I did I couldnt get the time off come and waste in quarantine etc. 

Im pretty confident going by the slight change of tone the past few days things will be different by peak season once it really starts to hit. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1