"Foreign tourists won't come if confined to their room for 14 days" but keeping them at resorts is OK, Pipat

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

An utter moron. Only makes sense if you are planning on coming here for many months. What percentage of the general tourism population does that represent?

The toxic army is despised like never before. They have over extended their welcome. They need to go, and the sooner, the better. They know that. We know that. 

Pipat needs to be replaced within the next 24 hours. If the toxic army cared one iota about the Thai people, they would be searching for a competent and creative mind to lead the tourism ministry, rather than this mental midget. 

ALL people from ALL nations should be allowed to come, as long as they are willing to subject themselves to quarantine. Period.

No other requirements or restrictions. No heinous, punitive, or humiliating requests for permission from the overseas consulates. Who are we? Kids begging for play time? Or tourists willing to spend a bundle to help save Thailand's economy? 

This is the time for the arrogant ministers and members of this toxic administration to be humble. Is this possible? Is this not a reality check and a wake up call? Are these guys capable of learning and adapting

I would give you a like........ but at this age I do not think i could withstand the waterboarding .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I dont know why you are twisting my posts but you should <deleted> right off.

sorry mr mega.    sometimes i do cross the line of what some think is funny. I promise to never twist your posts again.   And if i do,  will straighten them out posthaste.

i shall now honor your wish and    delete   right off 

Edited by rumak

Well, I usually stay for a little less than 180 days winter time in my rented house in Thailand. So, if I get in quarantine in October,how do I now stay legally  ????? Not on a Multi entry Visa anymore...... If a 6 month Visa had been available, I would gladly be locked down for a few weeks, but preferably at my own place.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

maybe they don't want tourists arriving on long haul flights but they want tourists that can fly for a couple of hours and have a nice cheap holiday?

like the Chinese for example

Chinese people are not interested at all in spending 2 weeks of their valuable holidays in a seaside resort without going shopping.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

If there were no other options around the world... however..... 

I was thinking the same thing.  The 4 star all-inclusive oceanfront resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic are looking good right about now. Cheaper, all meals and drinks included, and no visa / certification / restriction nonsense.

• Like 1

They never mention us with long stay visas that want to get back to our girlfriend and the place we’re paying rent.  I come for 4 months and go to USA fo 2 months then back for 4.  Always bring $10,000 and spend in Thailand.  Seems easy to test before departing and on arrival why make it so difficult 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Why would people take expensive long haul flights to be confined to a resort, when they could fly for a couple of hours and have a nice cheap holiday in the sun where they can go wherever they like?

I think this guy may have overestimated the lure of Thailand.

Hundreds of thousands of people travel to places like Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Mexico etc each year. Everything they eat and drink is at their hotel, they don't leave the resort. Some people even do that in Europe when they book an all inclusive package. Pretty much the same as this plan but with testing, insurance etc. 

And that's in normal times when there are options all around the world. I know Thailand is different and people go for different reasons but I'm pretty sure demand will outdo supply by a considerable margin. 

• Like 1

Have the locals in Phuket figured out yet that they will also, in effect, be quarantined on the island? Farangs may be content to be "stranded in paradise", but I doubt if the Thais will be delighted by the idea, lol. 

1 hour ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Hundreds of thousands of people travel to places like Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Mexico etc each year. Everything they eat and drink is at their hotel, they don't leave the resort. Some people even do that in Europe when they book an all inclusive package. Pretty much the same as this plan but with testing, insurance etc. 

And that's in normal times when there are options all around the world. I know Thailand is different and people go for different reasons but I'm pretty sure demand will outdo supply by a considerable margin. 

Perhaps you are right, but the question remains of who will be flying them there and back and whether any such flights will stand to be cancelled at a moment's notice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Perhaps you are right, but the question remains of who will be flying them there and back and whether any such flights will stand to be cancelled at a moment's notice. 

That's one of the many questions that remains unanswered. 

Flights, visas, ASQ hotel choice and who can go, that's what we need to know. 

3 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

The big difference is that you don't have to fly halfway around the world for essentially the same experience. For North Americans, you can be at an oceanfront 4 star all-inclusive in Cancun or the Mexican Riviera, as well as the DR in just a few hours. Even if you never leave the resort, the amenities are most likely far superior for way less money. As an added bonus, you're free to move about and explore the area, with no requirement to quarantine or confine your movement to a limited area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrDave said:

The big difference is that you don't have to fly halfway around the world for essentially the same experience. For North Americans, you can be at an oceanfront 4 star all-inclusive in Cancun or the Mexican Riviera, as well as the DR in just a few hours. Even if you never leave the resort, the amenities are most likely far superior for way less money. As an added bonus, you're free to move about and explore the area, with no requirement to quarantine or confine your movement to a limited area.

Ah, from the US the flights are a lot less to the Caribbean and a lot further to Thailand. I forgot you didn't have direct flights to Thailand for some bizarre reason. 

I was thinking about UK flights, 12 hours to Thailand or 10 hours to Mexico. 

As so many have said, standard tourists won't be interested but those who wish to stay for a long time probably will. After all, if the Caribbean all inclusive resorts are so much cheaper with superior amenities, then there must be some very good reasons why people choose Thailand over these places in normal times. As of course there are. 

56 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Ah, from the US the flights are a lot less to the Caribbean and a lot further to Thailand. I forgot you didn't have direct flights to Thailand for some bizarre reason. 

I was thinking about UK flights, 12 hours to Thailand or 10 hours to Mexico. 

As so many have said, standard tourists won't be interested but those who wish to stay for a long time probably will. After all, if the Caribbean all inclusive resorts are so much cheaper with superior amenities, then there must be some very good reasons why people choose Thailand over these places in normal times. As of course there are. 

I think some people choose Thailand because of the amount of young females avaible.

• Like 2

Everybody keeps reiterating, no tourists will want to stay 2 weeks in a hotel before they can travel. Do you really think the government does not know that?? Of course they know. It is simply a scapegoat. Sure, there are people with families, and businesses they need to tend to, but people seem to be forgetting that there are millions of chinese that are itching to find a way out of their country. Two weeks quarantine for some of these people is a small price to pay under the guise of a tourist. 

25 minutes ago, Dooles said:

Everybody keeps reiterating, no tourists will want to stay 2 weeks in a hotel before they can travel. Do you really think the government does not know that?? Of course they know. It is simply a scapegoat. Sure, there are people with families, and businesses they need to tend to, but people seem to be forgetting that there are millions of chinese that are itching to find a way out of their country. Two weeks quarantine for some of these people is a small price to pay under the guise of a tourist. 

True, but the Chinese aren't the long stay tourists. They often come in group tours and even independently they tend to be relatively short stays. It's the Europeans, Americans, Australians that come for several months at a time. That's why for this plan to stand any chance of being successful, it needs to be available to these nationalities. 

It is an interesting experiment. And it got now even much more interesting since the people are allowed to move around within the resort freely. I can't await that the experiment will start and we see the outcome. It never gets boring here. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think some people choose Thailand because of the amount of young females avaible.

Jumbo hit the Jackpot .     but we all knew the answer .......uh, i think 

6 minutes ago, Orient Express said:

Probably ... but anyone booking anything with Thai Airways at the moment needs their head testing, quite frankly.

Probably repatriation flights, £700 a single form Heathrow if you could get a seat in Economy Clas but over £2400 Business Class.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit