Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

If it's ignorant nonsense, why do the majority of guys move the family back to their home country?  Serious question.

It's not due to affordability, from the examples I have given. 

Over the years I have seen quite a few examples of people packing up and moving the family back to the West, better educaation for the kids was cited often.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Gives the girlfriend\wife a better opportunity to meet someone better with more money

Cynical.... but by family I did mean a couple with kids, who had been together some time. I have certainly seen what you cite happen though.

The man may or may not have been without blame.

Edited by jacko45k

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Cynical.... but by family I did mean a couple with kids, who had been together some time. I have certainly seen what you cite happen though.

The man may or may not have been without blame.

where there is a large age gap and the relationship was based on money then it's a risk, if that doesn't apply then normal rules apply

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

expats i know are loving Pattaya now, still doing the things they like to do, everything cheaper. I was in Walking St last night, very good and getting busier, lots of asians around that weren't there 3 weeks ago

Pattaya is great.  Turned around 6 townhomes last year for huge profits.  Sold to working Thais, the tourist economy is just a side show.  Some tools may not be savvy or masculine enough to cut it, no problem, it is not for everybody. Let them slink of to Philippines or commie-Nam or wherever. ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Again, that is you. My spends in the UK are lesser than I spend in Thailand.

I also spent less away from Thailand. I do whatever I want in Pattaya without thinking about the cost because I know it's cheap, so spend more. In Aus I continue to not buy stuff because it's so expensive. Example, a burger and chips at my local surf club costs $16 (360 baht) so I don't buy it and eat at home instead. Also good wine much much cheaper in Aus than Thailand ????

Note: I don't pay rent in either country so not a factor

Edited by aussiexpat

Mate I just paid $10 for a pint of beer, so much prefer the cheap 55 baht beers in the Pattaya happy hour bars.

The difference is I'll only have a couple of beers here and go home because so expensive, whereas in Pattaya I'll just keep drinking cheap beer, so actually spend more ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I'd say a qualification for a Thai graduate to get a job in the West would be fluent English. My niece is 13 at an expensive international school. She can't even go past "Hello my name Is..." What do you expect? Filipino English teacher- probably bought his degree in downtown Manila.

On the other hand, my Aussie neighbor's kids are quite fluent for their ages yet they go to a Thai school with a bilingual program. They seem to be learning a lot, and I'm impressed with their appearances, maturity, and good manners, far more so than I am with the porcine offspring of my friends in the States. No comparison, really.

And my neighbor definitely does have the money to move the family to Australia if he wished. Whoops!

Seems your niece is either lazy, has no ability, isn't receiving encouragement and practice at home, needs to change schools, or needs for her parents to have a talk w/ the teacher & school. A lot of Filipinos speak and write far better English than the average Brit, anyway, so I doubt the problem calls for our usual bigoted blanket condemnation, much as we love that. The real problem lies at home.

Have you tested her for something like, Allroyt oim... or Aareet me nyem is...? That might lead to a fuller conversation.  

And then my friend's adopted Thai son went to a Thai school w/o a bilingual program, just the usual English-on-the-side, yet Dad taught him enough and practiced with him so that after few English courses he did quite well on his TOEFL, graduated from ABAC (English-language only), had his degree accepted in the States, and, after passing a lot of tests, is now in pilot training. Fact.

Other Thais, like countless Asian students elsewhere, manage to learn enough English without going to international schools or even through bilingual programs yet they still study abroad and graduate with a foreign degree and can easily work abroad if they wish. I've given an example above of an American guy living here, quite well off, whose daughter graduated from a good school here then studied engineering at the University of Southern California, and is now a professional engineer. Fact.

One of the big COVID hardships for Western institutions is the lack of such students now.

Some Thai unis have joint programs with foreign unis and students can graduate with degrees from both. Can be done at the tertiary level or graduate. I've known of some great success stories along that line as well. Fact.

So all that, and more (we've other testimonials in the thread), flatly contradicts the ignorant assertions here that a student can't learn English in Thailand, can't receive an education accepted in the West, and can't work in the West after being educated in Thailand.

You can pretend, and continually repeat, all day that because somebody says they can't and believes they can't makes it true. Nope. The hard evidence lies in facts such as above. Why all desperate need to stay in denial?

And talk's cheap. Why believe everything you hear? Some well-off expats may say they moved back for their kids' education, but it may not be so simple. Maybe they wanted to move back anyway. Maybe they need their kids to be true Aussies or Brits. (Not sure why, though.) Maybe they know their kids can get a good and purely Western education here, but are too cheap to pay the international school fees when public education's free back home. Or maybe they can't pay them, really. We've heard a lot of the latter admission.

Not, you see, that they really have to move for their kids sake; in fact, it may even be a mistake, all considered; but they think they do. It's part of the narrative.

In the meantime, we're just shock! not hearing all those hundreds of success stories from expats who moved to the West to educate their little darlings, how they're all on corporate boards now, brain surgeons, computer scientists, lawyers, professors, etc. NOT of course just working low level jobs like most and still living with mom & dad. More than half of young American adults are living with one or both of their parents

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know a Thai man working on his doctorate at the University of Missouri.  He graduated from CMU and Montfort College.  Not a HiSo guy, at all.  So, I think there are decent opportunities for the obviously smart, top students, as well as the very few, who would be wealthy by western standards.  Most of a large middle group seem to be getting shortchanged, though, by cultural issues.  Financial difficulties are so widespread, it is easy for them to get dragged down by friends and family.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

You can pretend, and continually repeat, all day that because somebody says they can't and believes they can't makes it true. Nope. The hard evidence lies in facts such as above. Why all desperate need to stay in denial?

Your handful of examples don't make it universal.  Far more are on the opposite side and you're just stirring a thread up again for reasons known only to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Your handful of examples don't make it universal.  Far more are on the opposite side and you're just stirring a thread up again for reasons known only to you.

Straw man argument, not surprisingly. Aren't you the guy who can't understand that Jomtien's part of Pattaya????? I said nothing whatsoever about universal, though I do contend that the absolute rule being promulgated is nonsense.

Moreover, one example alone is sufficient to disprove the nonsense I addressed. Yet we've heard no examples of verified success coming from our "All education is Thailand is worthless" thumpers. Fire away; I'm all ears--not that it disproves my point anyway. The thread don't die when you say it dies, and obviously it ain't dead yet, pal.

Edited by BigStar

36 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Hey BigStar, how about starting another thread about education in or out of Thailand and leave this one alone for us deciding whether to give up on Pattaya?

The education in Thailand issue came up from other posters--presumably included in your "us"--contending that one must give up on Pattaya to stay in Australia for the sake of kids' education and that you, aussiexpat, would be obligated to do so. Not that you'd in any way implied so.

I merely pointed out that you needn't give up on Pattaya either for the lack of a family, which you could acquire here, or necessarily to take that family back to Australia to educate your kids, should you have any, as they could be well educated here.

Incensed at the unorthodox but proven idea that a kid could be successfully educated in Thailand, some of the "us" continued with a number of ignorant, illogical arguments. Perhaps they're now tired of repeating them.???? If not, it's really up to any one of the "us" to start another thread devoted to bashing education in Thailand. I'm with you, man: they should do that, absolutely.

In the meantime, I hope I've helped you eliminate those reasons for giving up on Pattaya, if they were in fact any part of your thinking on the matter.???? Could be that some other members of the forum will benefit as well.

Edited by BigStar

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

In the meantime, I hope I've helped you eliminate those reasons for giving up on Pattaya, if they were in fact any part of your thinking on the matter.???? 

Nope, kids education was never part of my reason to give up on Pattaya ????

Relieving mental stress was the reason for giving up on Pattaya, as hoping to soon go back was becoming too much. 

Edited by aussiexpat

On 8/26/2020 at 11:11 PM, CygnusX1 said:

I’m in the same situation as you, bought my condo a year before the China virus, now stuck in Australia. No sense in giving up on Thailand though, as Thai border will be open long before we’re allowed to leave our Australian prison, so it’s not as if we can go anywhere else in the world either. I’ve been predicting 2023 Oz border opening ever since the insanity started in March, the time will go fast, and heaps of TV and computer games to catch up on.

Can leave Australia any time. 

Just request to leave.

And have somewhere to go. 

Its not hard.

It took 24 hours to get the ok.

• Like 2