Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Hello, it seems some of you guy's have "the need for speed" from a Honda cbr 150, so here is the answer with pics

Bike: CBR150 2004 completely modified. Engine: Original 150cc, 1 piston, 4 valves watercooled, 4 stroke:

Rebored to 169cc, Stage 3 ported and gas flowed head, twin racing high lift cams, 38mm racing carburettor (standard is only 26mm) jetted for quickness at high revs, Racing CDI (allowing higher revs). Endurance exhaust, Adjustable Racing gear and brake footlevers, Larger rear sprocket Suspension and steering : Front lowered 2 inches, ohlins steering damper (20 settings) can adjust while driving along, keeps the front in line with the back (we all hate that wobble affect) Vee rubber tyres (soft compound) helps keep all the mods stuck to the ground. Hard top rear seat cowl (specially made due not available as spare) gives the racing look but easily changes to carry passenger.

Out performs bigger bikes around town, can get thru the traffic!

Have yet to find another cbr 150 modified or not that can keep up with me.

Keeps up with all 125 and 150 two strokes on pullaway, at 80kph+ I leave them for dust.

Top speed 170kph (Chonburi to Rayong Road kept speed for 2k, that was long enough)

Handling at speed and cornering is excellent. (40 laps at Bira racetrack in Pattaya may 2007).

petrol consumption: uses twice as much as standard, but what do u expect, if u want the speed u have to pay for it.

Money spent so far "U DON'T WANT TO REALLY KNOW" but wellworth it when I am on it!

Please come on then :o

24112005.jpg

Some questions as I am new in Pattaya. I just got myself a KSR110 (I know, your CBR guys will have something to say....) and I would like to mod the bike :

- Does the pattaya /chonburi police allow replacement exhausts ? Can you get off with a few hundred baht if they stop you ?

- Would a race CDI be a good way to start the mod as the bike is still new ? Whats the effect of just a race CDI installed ? Whats a good one ?

- Shops in Pattaya for parts and workshop for tuning recommended ?

thanks and please see my post about the KSR. Fun bike..... I know.....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on Koh Phangan, I don't think I will have too many problems with the boys in brown whatever I fit. I will need to refit the stock exhaust every 4k miles though when I take my baby on for a service :o

1) http://www.faddybike.com/static/cbr150.htm

2) http://www.aseanmoto.com/main.html

Thanks, those were the links I had in mind!

Thanks for those, looking good.

One small question though, is it worth me fitting a larger carb and a racing CDI at the same time as I fit the exhaust? Or simply re-jet the stock carb?

I'm particularly looking to increase low rev power, a lot of the time I find myself sitting behind trucks on a windy road (life on an island for ya), a little more pick up on the low side of the power band would really help in these situations.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply to this thread.

I have been very pleased with my CBR 2003 version, (see photo) the absolute best choice for a dealer sold bike in Thailand.

The time has come however for modifications. I get bored easy, so I have decided for full custom paint. But I also would like to tweak the performance. A new CDI is an obvious choice to start, as well as the K&N filter.

I found myself nearly losing a race with a Nouvo the other day, partially because I didn’t take the race seriously at first. The Nouvo was obviously modified, and it was driven by someone half my size as well. But still in the lower gears he seemed to have nearly equivalent speed.

Where is a shop that can locate and install a yoshimura kit?

post-10408-1184727905_thumb.jpg

CBR150's are for pussies - real men ride NSR150's :o

post-46010-1179586916_thumb.jpg

no, real men ride nsr 250 rrs , or vfr 400rs (no pic of my vfr here unfortunately).

Real men ride their girlfriends, treat them with respect and don't care about the size of their cars or bikes!

Hello, it seems some of you guy's have "the need for speed" from a Honda cbr 150, so here is the answer with pics

Bike: CBR150 2004 completely modified. Engine: Original 150cc, 1 piston, 4 valves watercooled, 4 stroke:

Top speed 170kph (Chonburi to Rayong Road kept speed for 2k, that was long enough)

170kpm :o ....that's about the time where I change to 3rd gearcheesy.gif

Rebored to 169cc, Stage 3 ported and gas flowed head, twin racing high lift cams, 38mm racing carburettor (standard is only 26mm) jetted for quickness at high revs, Racing CDI (allowing higher revs). Endurance exhaust, Adjustable Racing gear and brake footlevers, Larger rear sprocket Suspension and steering : Front lowered 2 inches, ohlins steering damper (20 settings) can adjust while driving along, keeps the front in line with the back (we all hate that wobble affect) Vee rubber tyres (soft compound) helps keep all the mods stuck to the ground. Hard top rear seat cowl (specially made due not available as spare) gives the racing look but easily changes to carry passenger.

Have yet to find another cbr 150 modified or not that can keep up with me.

Keeps up with all 125 and 150 two strokes on pullaway, at 80kph+ I leave them for dust.

Handling at speed and cornering is excellent. (40 laps at Bira racetrack in Pattaya may 2007).

petrol consumption: uses twice as much as standard, but what do u expect, if u want the speed u have to pay for it.

Money spent so far "U DON'T WANT TO REALLY KNOW" but wellworth it when I am on it!

Please come on then :o

24112005.jpg

Some questions as I am new in Pattaya. I just got myself a KSR110 (I know, your CBR guys will have something to say....) and I would like to mod the bike :

- Does the pattaya /chonburi police allow replacement exhausts ? Can you get off with a few hundred baht if they stop you ?

- Would a race CDI be a good way to start the mod as the bike is still new ? Whats the effect of just a race CDI installed ? Whats a good one ?

- Shops in Pattaya for parts and workshop for tuning recommended ?

thanks and please see my post about the KSR. Fun bike..... I know.....

I ended paying around 1,500 Bht for my modfied exhaust on a Yamaha Nuovo in Pattaya. So I keep the original one on the CBR 150.

Hey Crowboy, can i join your gang ?? Should have a CBR 150 by the end of the week, the missus can ONLY ride a bike with a clutch, can you believe that. So it's for her as much as it is for me.. Can you recommend the best dealer in CM??

see ya soon.

AT.

The two best dealers are probably Niyom Panich, going from Airport Plaza toward the moat; or Sasa Panich, going north out of town by Rama IX park. At least, they are most likely to have a CBR150 (or a Phantom 200) on display, and have the largest number of Honda mechanics who understood liquid cooled engines four years ago.

And if the missus doesn't like to throw her leg over the tank, you might settle for a Sonic 125.

The two best dealers are probably Niyom Panich, going from Airport Plaza toward the moat; or Sasa Panich, going north out of town by Rama IX park. At least, they are most likely to have a CBR150 (or a Phantom 200) on display, and have the largest number of Honda mechanics who understood liquid cooled engines four years ago.

And if the missus doesn't like to throw her leg over the tank, you might settle for a Sonic 125.

Thanks PB, but we already have a step-through bike (dream) and the missus can only ride the bigger bikes with a clutch, don't ask me why, she says thats what she learnt to ride on.

Cheers.

I live on Koh Phangan, I don't think I will have too many problems with the boys in brown whatever I fit. I will need to refit the stock exhaust every 4k miles though when I take my baby on for a service :o

1) http://www.faddybike.com/static/cbr150.htm

2) http://www.aseanmoto.com/main.html

Thanks, those were the links I had in mind!

Thanks for those, looking good.

One small question though, is it worth me fitting a larger carb and a racing CDI at the same time as I fit the exhaust? Or simply re-jet the stock carb?

I'm particularly looking to increase low rev power, a lot of the time I find myself sitting behind trucks on a windy road (life on an island for ya), a little more pick up on the low side of the power band would really help in these situations.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the CDI you're looking at only reaises the limiter, or offers a hotter spark, but it's a cheap enough part to change out I'd do it. Getting a hotter spark is a definitive way of increasing power across the board. To that end, a must is a new spark plug lead. I've read they're available from a Honda dealer.... Refitting an exhaust shouldn't require a rejetting, however, reviewing various websites, it really does seem that Honda has really choked the engine at that point, thus suggesting a larger (read: thirstier) carb would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Just remember that a small, high revving motor is designed to produce their power up in the higher reaches of the tach sweep. We're not piloting large volume v-twins. :D I don't suppose anyone would be delighted to see their power peak at only 1/2 of the engines rated speed. You really should consider dropping down a gear or two and opening the throttle up. That's why there's so many gears in there. :D I suppose you could try and find a little itty-bitty supercharger and improve low end that way, but as the revs climbed, you'd quickly overwhelm it.

Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply to this thread.

I have been very pleased with my CBR 2003 version, (see photo) the absolute best choice for a dealer sold bike in Thailand.

The time has come however for modifications. I get bored easy, so I have decided for full custom paint. But I also would like to tweak the performance. A new CDI is an obvious choice to start, as well as the K&N filter.

I found myself nearly losing a race with a Nouvo the other day, partially because I didn’t take the race seriously at first. The Nouvo was obviously modified, and it was driven by someone half my size as well. But still in the lower gears he seemed to have nearly equivalent speed.

Where is a shop that can locate and install a yoshimura kit?

See my last post in regards to some of my thoughts about modification. Another thing you'll want to consider if you're going to continue these stoplight drag races with Thai teenagers is to loose some weight (I'll do it if you will--want to have a contest on who hits a target weight first? I'm starting from 95 kilos!) and change your rear sprocket, if not also your front. Going bigger in the back will allow a quicker accelerating bike at the expense of top speed and your fuel consumption. Another thing that I have found advantageous is to slide my oversized a$$ as far back as possible and try and force that rear wheel to get as much traction as possible.

In regards to your Yoshimura question; I'm confident a reputable shop could order you a proper can, but if you are truly looking for the real deal, I wouldn't trust one they'd have in stock any more than I'd trust my wife to walk by a shoe store and not buy a pair!

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I thought that most racing modifications (big carb, changing the ignition, highlift cams, etc.) improve the power output at high rpm, and don't help the output at low engine speeds at all. Getting a larger rear sprocket with more teeth would increase acceleration at the expense of top speed, etc., sure enough.

I'm not greedy, but sometimes in traffic, another ten horsepower at around 7000 rpm would come in real handy. I don't trust myself to travel over 180 kph in Thailand, but even 39 more horsepower at 5000 rpm would be fun....

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I thought that most racing modifications (big carb, changing the ignition, highlift cams, etc.) improve the power output at high rpm, and don't help the output at low engine speeds at all. Getting a larger rear sprocket with more teeth would increase acceleration at the expense of top speed, etc., sure enough.

I'm not greedy, but sometimes in traffic, another ten horsepower at around 7000 rpm would come in real handy. I don't trust myself to travel over 180 kph in Thailand, but even 39 more horsepower at 5000 rpm would be fun....

Well, an internal combustion engine is just a fancy air pump. So any modifications that increase the volume of air will increase power across the powerband, but it will be more pronounced at the point the manufacturer blueprinted the engine to produce the most power. This is obvious since your increasing the power across the board a certain percentage and the more power you start off with, the more power you're going to have after the increase. There are other factors that affect this also, such as head design, cam lift and duration, etc.

You could of course do quite a bit of work to move the peak power to a lower RPM point, but chances are you'd end up losing a bit in the process. Overboring and installing a longer throw crank and increasing the mass of the parts will give you more power (in the form of torque) at a lower engine speed.

Very few people complain about more power (although an exception to that is there was once when I tried driving my Z28 during the winter in Michigan and ended up a$$ first in a ditch quicker than I could say oh <deleted>). The more I reflect upon it, the realisation comes that Honda didn't do too bandly with the ~17 BHP that they got out of this engine. Considering that a NSR is essentially sucks down twice the same fuel at the same engine speed, and produces 140% of the power when optimally tuned is encouraging. Also taking into account that a lot of 4 stroke bikes even 4x as big only prduce 2-3x as much power it makes our little machines look even more proud.

I would think tha going much faster than 160 KPH on stock running gear would be hazardous to ones plans for a lomg productive life. Increasing the size of the tyres/wheels would be of paramount concern, and to do it right, you'd need more space. this would entail a wider swingarm, tripletree, etc. This all translates into more weight, defeating some of those gained by your power increases.

Another thing you'll want to consider if you're going to continue these stoplight drag races with Thai teenagers is to loose some weight (I'll do it if you will--want to have a contest on who hits a target weight first? I'm starting from 95 kilos!) and change your rear sprocket, if not also your front. Going bigger in the back will allow a quicker accelerating bike at the expense of top speed and your fuel consumption. Another thing that I have found advantageous is to slide my oversized a$$ as far back as possible and try and force that rear wheel to get as much traction as possible.

I'm not overwieght i'm undertall :o

I would like to take you up on the challenge, it seems we are starting from the same mass, but I have a random schedule for the next month at least. I find it hard to lose when I can't schedule exercise. But for sure sure late August and September I will be agressively fighting the bulge. I have another trip to Nepal in March, every pound off seems like ten over there.

Thanks for your bike advice

Another thing you'll want to consider if you're going to continue these stoplight drag races with Thai teenagers is to loose some weight (I'll do it if you will--want to have a contest on who hits a target weight first? I'm starting from 95 kilos!) and change your rear sprocket, if not also your front. Going bigger in the back will allow a quicker accelerating bike at the expense of top speed and your fuel consumption. Another thing that I have found advantageous is to slide my oversized a$$ as far back as possible and try and force that rear wheel to get as much traction as possible.

I'm not overwieght i'm undertall :o

I would like to take you up on the challenge, it seems we are starting from the same mass, but I have a random schedule for the next month at least. I find it hard to lose when I can't schedule exercise. But for sure sure late August and September I will be agressively fighting the bulge. I have another trip to Nepal in March, every pound off seems like ten over there.

Thanks for your bike advice

You'd think I'd be able to sweat most of this weight off, but it's not happening. I'm not particularly tall, coming in around 5' 9" stretching, and fit in 36" pants. I assume, since I mainly stick with chicken and lean cuts of beef it's my overconsumption of sugar that's doing me in. And I'm not talking about just the excessive amounts of soda I'm chugging, but also my preference for starchy foods.

I'd love to get back down to ~80 kilos again, perhaps setting 3 x 5 kilo goals would do the trick. I've found swimming, which if you can't do well as I can not, is a very quick way of burning a LOT of calories very quickly. My rotortiller approach to swimming quickly tires me out.

• 1 month later...

I have copied this over from the Chiang Mai forum where the question was originally asked the link back there is CBR150 BKK to CNX

Thanks this is great news. What about Helmets Should I bring my own. has anybody made the trip from Bangkok to Phukett any advise .How long. bad idea Thanks again I am sure I will have additional questions
Hey idahospud,

Several of us on this forum own CBR150's. No problem for availability; all the Honda dlrs in town should have 1 or 2 in stock. The new 2008 model will probably not be out till Dec, so you will most likely get an 07- which is just fine. I don't know if there are any major changes planned for 08; unlikely.

Price is 65,000. If you bargain hard (like our pal Gus from Outback Bar) you might shave 2500 off the price...but new bikes of this rarity are not often discounted that much.

As for riding to BKK, etc.- no problem. CrowBoy (on this forum) rode his to Penang from here for the break-in, in 1 week. In May, I rode 1200 km around northern Thailand in 4 days; was not passed by one other vehicle, of any type, on any road, anywhere. With the g/f, you might not be going at quite that pace, but you will be fine.

All us CBR150 owners here LOVE our bikes- a great choice for Thailand.

Hope this helps.

McG

Hi Idahospud - as McGriffiths wrote in his reply to you I rode my CBR150 from Chiang Rai (actually if I want to be pedantic from Mai Sai on the border) down to Penang. It did take me longer than his stated 1 week. I did it as a tour not a speed test :D I did the bit from Bangkok to Phuket but did a detour to Samuii on the way. The road was fine as far as Thai highways go but there were parts down south that had major roadworks happening and that slowed things down. I set myself a loose target re distance and then ride accordingly. My personal preference is to avoid riding after dusk on the open road and to look at the trip as being for fun not because I HAVE to be in such and such a place on a specific date.

As has been pointed out - there is a link to a thread on this forum for owners of CBR150s CBR150 forum I suggest we move this conversation there.

The CBR150 is a great little bike - not something I would have considered in any way, shape or form back in Oz but they work very well here. In ChiangMai there are quite a few rolling around and while there isn't a club as such we are more a loose association of kindred souls. The majority of CBR150 owners are farung but there are several owned by Thais around town. The other thread is read by owners all over Thailand including Phuket so that would be useful for contacts on the trip down south.

Look forward to seeing you on the other thread and when you are coming to CM send us a message - several of the boys are happy to indulge in the occassional beer or six :o

CB

Thanks for the link to this other forum.

I have copied this over from the Chiang Mai forum where the question was originally asked the link back there is CBR150 BKK to CNX
Thanks this is great news. What about Helmets Should I bring my own. has anybody made the trip from Bangkok to Phukett any advise .How long. bad idea Thanks again I am sure I will have additional questions
Hey idahospud,

Several of us on this forum own CBR150's. No problem for availability; all the Honda dlrs in town should have 1 or 2 in stock. The new 2008 model will probably not be out till Dec, so you will most likely get an 07- which is just fine. I don't know if there are any major changes planned for 08; unlikely.

Price is 65,000. If you bargain hard (like our pal Gus from Outback Bar) you might shave 2500 off the price...but new bikes of this rarity are not often discounted that much.

As for riding to BKK, etc.- no problem. CrowBoy (on this forum) rode his to Penang from here for the break-in, in 1 week. In May, I rode 1200 km around northern Thailand in 4 days; was not passed by one other vehicle, of any type, on any road, anywhere. With the g/f, you might not be going at quite that pace, but you will be fine.

All us CBR150 owners here LOVE our bikes- a great choice for Thailand.

Hope this helps.

McG

Hi Idahospud - as McGriffiths wrote in his reply to you I rode my CBR150 from Chiang Rai (actually if I want to be pedantic from Mai Sai on the border) down to Penang. It did take me longer than his stated 1 week. I did it as a tour not a speed test :D I did the bit from Bangkok to Phuket but did a detour to Samuii on the way. The road was fine as far as Thai highways go but there were parts down south that had major roadworks happening and that slowed things down. I set myself a loose target re distance and then ride accordingly. My personal preference is to avoid riding after dusk on the open road and to look at the trip as being for fun not because I HAVE to be in such and such a place on a specific date.

As has been pointed out - there is a link to a thread on this forum for owners of CBR150s CBR150 forum I suggest we move this conversation there.

The CBR150 is a great little bike - not something I would have considered in any way, shape or form back in Oz but they work very well here. In ChiangMai there are quite a few rolling around and while there isn't a club as such we are more a loose association of kindred souls. The majority of CBR150 owners are farung but there are several owned by Thais around town. The other thread is read by owners all over Thailand including Phuket so that would be useful for contacts on the trip down south.

Look forward to seeing you on the other thread and when you are coming to CM send us a message - several of the boys are happy to indulge in the occassional beer or six :o

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

After some 28 years ago that I came the first time to Chiangmai i finaly have my pension at 57 years old and never growing up, living in Maejoo so its a ride 20 mikn in town.

I first bought us a new Honda 125 Wave and after 2 weeks I said to the Mrs That i needed a bigger Bike so I did buy me a Honda Phantom with all Xtras for about 100k bath. And its suits my needs to go around and to do the shopping and so on.

But then the little devil inside told me you need something with a lot more fun in it to play around with so went back to Nyiom Panith Plaza for the third time and looked at the CBR 150 Black and it took me ten minutes to decid I take this. 62k Bath

And I tell you with only 80 km on Tacho dont reggret it Its a lot of fun on the superhighway from town to Maejoo.

So I hope to find you CBR fans in the city and its one more on the driveway. :o

Hi again

Its realy fun to ride the CBR150 but the tires could be better they are very slippery on on the white paintmarks on the road, have someone found another brand of tires please let me know.

In the few days I have had the CBR I have done 3 modifications , a new DBS Racing exhaust but there came to much sound so I did modify the outlet to half the size, and now the exhaust fumes can pass and with a level of noise reduction to near normal level.

Number 2 is that I fitted a Kehin flatside carburator 28mm inlet that pushes a lot more air and gasoline in the engine, and did a little bit more holes in the air intake so the engine resonds on direct throttle.

The most expensive part was the Exhaust 6500 bath but you can find others around 3500 bath that also fits, Carburator 2800 Bath.

And I tell that made a big diffrent bike from a nice coffeshop racer to a wild animal, and thats what its all about to have fun. :o

Hi again

Its realy fun to ride the CBR150 but the tires could be better they are very slippery on on the white paintmarks on the road, have someone found another brand of tires please let me know.

In the few days I have had the CBR I have done 3 modifications , a new DBS Racing exhaust but there came to much sound so I did modify the outlet to half the size, and now the exhaust fumes can pass and with a level of noise reduction to near normal level.

Number 2 is that I fitted a Kehin flatside carburator 28mm inlet that pushes a lot more air and gasoline in the engine, and did a little bit more holes in the air intake so the engine resonds on direct throttle.

The most expensive part was the Exhaust 6500 bath but you can find others around 3500 bath that also fits, Carburator 2800 Bath.

And I tell that made a big diffrent bike from a nice coffeshop racer to a wild animal, and thats what its all about to have fun. :o

Today I did change the oil in the engnine, switched to Mobil1 100% Synthetic oil and I was amased how much cooler the engine did run after little while The temp did not go up to Half the meter anymore. So I think that the cooling is 15 - 20 percent better then with the Honda 4t oil .

To explain the Carburator switch Its the same size that the original one but insted of the slide and jets moounted in the inlett that will disrupt the airstream the new one has a old fashion throttle and nothing that disturbs air intake, to give more air you can just take out the rubber intake its mounted loose so you only pull it out and get get a big nice intake just over the airfilter.

• 3 weeks later...

Bros,

I'm marvin from the philippines. I saw this while searching the internet. I hope you guys can help he direct to a website where I can buy a RACING CDI for my CBR150 and have it shipped here. No shops here in the philippines that sells RACING CDI's for my ride. I hope you guys can help me.

Ok, just had the CBR put through its 1000 km service at the Honda Dealership (near the airport). The service was ok but didn't amount to that much, just routine checks. I asked for synthetic oil and they showed me what looked like the best oil (95 baht for 1 litre of the stuff) so I went with that.

After that everything was ok I roared off. The water temperature hits the half-way mark still in heavy traffic so I reckon it's none synthetic but hoh hum, better luck next time I guess :o

Repsol Sighted!

Just for if anyones interested,

I was cruising just past Hang Dong when I spotted a small independant bike dealer who had no less than 3 NSRs and 2 CBRs for sale! All second-hand.

Crucially one of the CBRs is a Repsol varient! I think I remember hearing that these are like really rare beasts to see up North.

Well I asked the age and the price and the dealer said 2 years old and he wants 45,800 baht cash! It looks to be in good shape.

The NSRs look a lot older but 1 of them was in very good nick (bodywise) the others just ok. No idea what the engines are like though.

The remaining CBR must of been a mk1 / early model cause the gauges where a mimic of the NSRs and it had similar parts for the exhaust (narrow bore).

If you head south through Hang Dong and go straight through the lights and after about 600 yards just keep your eyes peeled for a non-descript, one story bike dealership on your right-hand side.

Hi all and thanks for interesting thread!

I live in Pattaya and so close to Bira Circuit. I'm interested to know if any of you know how to get involved with racing on a CBR 150? I would like to practice my need for speed on a race track rather than the streets of Pattaya, as many folks seems to do...

Regards, Jay

Jimsknight I need the same 1 k service. I bought at honda by airport. I have had my cbr for 1 week now what did they charge. Just curious How long did it take, did you need to leave and come back or wait. Just got back from a ride to Chiang Rai pretty good roads little constructon. Ran with the traffic. :o