Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it's official, we need more bangkok'ers in the Club. A meet further south wouldn't hurt anyone! But it's still good that those who made it to the meet had a nice time.

Yes we had a great time, the other three bikes (black, silver, and another bl**dy red one) are owned by guys who rarely or never access TV so weren't aware of the meeting. We caught up with them at the pub after lunch for the MotoGP bike races.

I do have some questions though. In the picture of the three CBRs, I only saw helmets with flip down shields. Does nobody wear the full face style, or do they just not leave them on their bikes? Also, what, if any, leathers are used? We need to keep safe on the road, and I enjoy reading reports like these, preferring to not have them contain a "we had a good time, but....".

CM is much more relaxed than BKK over helmet laws but all of use were wearing them. I always wear a full face helmet but it is common up here to see the guys wear open faced. On the day I had my wet weather gear in my backpack and didn't wear my leather jacket. If I am going on a blat on the road I will wear my leather jacket but normally I only use it in the cold weather. However I agree with you re being safe on the road. I have picked up guys who have slid down ashalt using their butt cheeks to slow them down - not a pleasant injury.

Also my g/f rides my CBR. It is amusing to watch the Thai men give her looks for being on it. I'm afraid she's not as aggressive as she could be for the machine though.

Tip in the city amongst traffic is normally pretty aggressive so if someone next to her gives her a sneer or laugh at her on the CBR she will happily show them she can ride better than them. I have seen many a Thai lad look very red faced when they have finally caught up with her waiting at the next set of lights. Be that as it may she is a very safe rider but she gets nervous on the open road - purely psychological.

Finally, it was quite amusing to see that really, really big 8 ball helmet with a little thai one on top of it. Made me chuckle anyways.

That is owned by a guy called Jon and yes it does have an eight ball painted on the side but behind it is a partly obscured helmet not an 8 Ball mounted on top.

When I lived at Samuii there was a Thai art student that did fantastic spray work with aerosol paint cans. He did a lot of helmets but you have to be very careful because some helmets are damaged by the solvents and why they look great are useless in case of an accident as a result.

I will speak to the other guys about setting up a meet about halfway down the highway over a long weekend for the BKK/CNX get together. My problem is that I have to work which is most inconvenient when I am trying to organise my social life.

have fun and stay upright

CB

Yeah it's official, we need more bangkok'ers in the Club. A meet further south wouldn't hurt anyone! But it's still good that those who made it to the meet had a nice time.

I do have some questions though. In the picture of the three CBRs, I only saw helmets with flip down shields. Does nobody wear the full face style, or do they just not leave them on their bikes? Also, what, if any, leathers are used? We need to keep safe on the road, and I enjoy reading reports like these, preferring to not have them contain a "we had a good time, but....".

Also my g/f rides my CBR. It is amusing to watch the Thai men give her looks for being on it. I'm afraid she's not as aggressive as she could be for the machine though.

Finally, it was quite amusing to see that really, really big 8 ball helmet with a little thai one on top of it. Made me chuckle anyways.

dave, maybe it's not coming through in the photo, but the last bike on the end is mine, and a Nolan D37 full face helmet is hanging on the mirror. I don't remember, but at least one other rider had a full face. Leathers, however, are just too darn hot in this climate, IMHO. I brought my leather trousers to Thailand and have never used them. But if you can stand the heat, stay in the kitchen...

Yes we had a great time, the other three bikes (black, silver, and another bl**dy red one) are owned by guys who rarely or never access TV so weren't aware of the meeting. We caught up with them at the pub after lunch for the MotoGP bike races.

CM is much more relaxed than BKK over helmet laws but all of use were wearing them. I always wear a full face helmet but it is common up here to see the guys wear open faced. On the day I had my wet weather gear in my backpack and didn't wear my leather jacket. If I am going on a blat on the road I will wear my leather jacket but normally I only use it in the cold weather. However I agree with you re being safe on the road. I have picked up guys who have slid down ashalt using their butt cheeks to slow them down - not a pleasant injury.

Tip in the city amongst traffic is normally pretty aggressive so if someone next to her gives her a sneer or laugh at her on the CBR she will happily show them she can ride better than them. I have seen many a Thai lad look very red faced when they have finally caught up with her waiting at the next set of lights. Be that as it may she is a very safe rider but she gets nervous on the open road - purely psychological.

That is owned by a guy called Jon and yes it does have an eight ball painted on the side but behind it is a partly obscured helmet not an 8 Ball mounted on top.

When I lived at Samuii there was a Thai art student that did fantastic spray work with aerosol paint cans. He did a lot of helmets but you have to be very careful because some helmets are damaged by the solvents and why they look great are useless in case of an accident as a result.

I will speak to the other guys about setting up a meet about halfway down the highway over a long weekend for the BKK/CNX get together. My problem is that I have to work which is most inconvenient when I am trying to organise my social life.

have fun and stay upright

CB

I understand about the helmet laws, but unfortunately I've seen too many instances of what no protection gives you. As a matter of fact, I have a nice reminder that even offroad riding is full of dangers on my left arm. As such, while I try not to be an arse about it, I really like to remind myself and others that safety should come first.

Having gotten that public service announcement out of the way :o , I've spent a lot of time up near Nakhon Sawan. And there, helmet laws are lax.....well, except maybe for the last 1/3 of the month when the friendly law enforcement have run out of beer funds. In Bangkok, they stop me just because I'm not Thai and happen to be riding a CBR. So, I do everything I can to not give them a reason to try and get some fine out of me.

Leather jackets are a need, especially if you have a good brand that has plenty of vents. My AVG doesn't get too hot, unless I'm stuck in traffic for more than a couple of minutes. I unfortunately forgot to pack my pants or they've taken a walk-about, and that will be a priority buy when i get back to Farangland. As of now, I'm doubling up on my boxers and hoping that if I try to slip and slide down the road, the two layer of added protection help me somewhat---but I doubt it.

Sorry my post wasn't clear about the helmets; I was simply commenting about the size difference between the Thai one and the other one. My g/f's helmet can almost fit inside of mine. I simply find it mildly amusing.

You did bring up a good point---helmets usually shouldn't be resprayed, since the chemicals to do a really good job will eat up the glassfibre of the shell.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in Thailand, since it's getting about that time when I need to go back and make some money. However, I'll keep everyone appraised of the situation.

Hi all,

I never knew the CBR existed till I saw this thread. Looks interesting, but how about when you're giving someone a ride? Is it comfortable enough to do regularly. I suppose sidesaddle is out of the question?

Riding on the pillion isn't too bad. The biggest problem I've had in that position is that I had to sit fairly far back on the cushion itself (and I'm only 5' 9"), and ended up getting the grab bar bruising my but. If the rear footpegs were lower, it wouldn't have been an issue, but I wasn't comfortable with my knees just shy of my chin sitting as close to my g/f, who was driving at the time, as possible.

When I stay up with the inlaws, my g/f and I made trips into Nakhon Sawan. These trips were usually around 1 hour, and while she didn't complain, she was happy to get off and say "Jip dtoot". Which I guess is complaining, a little bit. But after 1 hour of riding, it's probably time to stop and take a break anyways. Most Thais are hungry after that amount of time, at least in my experience. :o

I would think the size and shape of the rear seat would preclude any sidesaddling. My g/f mostly wears pants anyways, so I can't actually give you an accurate answer, but she's indicating she would NOT ride in a dress on the CBR.

dave, maybe it's not coming through in the photo, but the last bike on the end is mine, and a Nolan D37 full face helmet is hanging on the mirror. I don't remember, but at least one other rider had a full face. Leathers, however, are just too darn hot in this climate, IMHO. I brought my leather trousers to Thailand and have never used them. But if you can stand the heat, stay in the kitchen...

Sorry, I didn't pay much mind to the first picture, because I'm biased against low resolution pictures. I do see your helmet though, now.

I've covered my thoughts about leathers in a previous post, so I will not bore you with a repetition. However, wouldn't your b/f like you in leather pants? :o

I'll get my new CBR this Friday (blue 2007 model). Pre negotiated 63,000 Bht, but will try to squeeze out still a few items. Well I am down in Pattaya, where you do not see too many CBR150's. That's far away, but at least I can join the thread starting Friday....

cu Moo9

I'll get my new CBR this Friday (blue 2007 model). Pre negotiated 63,000 Bht, but will try to squeeze out still a few items. Well I am down in Pattaya, where you do not see too many CBR150's. That's far away, but at least I can join the thread starting Friday....

cu Moo9

I bought my CBR down in Pattaya on Pattaya Tai. Was down closer to Sukhumvit, on the right hand side of the road as you're headed toward Sukhumvit. I got lucky, they were offering the Yellow one, which is one of my favourite colours. Inlaws call it "pa-mon" (bee). Actually, if we could get more riders in Bangkok and Pattaya together, a meet up 1/2 the way in between wouldn't bee out of the question. Obviously those Chiang Mai people don't care about us! :o

As a side note, make sure you break it in properly. And try and get service done by a place that actually sells them, as there's a chance that they'll be more knowledgeable about them. For instance, I took mine to a local dealer who doesn't sell them to get serviced, and he insisted on turning down the idle speed to ~1200 RPMs, although the manual plainly states it should be 1500. I also asked him to adjust my headlights, which were doing an excellent job of lighting overhead signs instead of the road and he insisted it couldn't be done. A really comprehensive link about new bikes.

cu Moo9

I bought my CBR down in Pattaya on Pattaya Tai. Was down closer to Sukhumvit, on the right hand side of the road as you're headed toward Sukhumvit. I got lucky, they were offering the Yellow one, which is one of my favourite colours. Inlaws call it "pa-mon" (bee). Actually, if we could get more riders in Bangkok and Pattaya together, a meet up 1/2 the way in between wouldn't bee out of the question. Obviously those Chiang Mai people don't care about us! :o

As a side note, make sure you break it in properly. And try and get service done by a place that actually sells them, as there's a chance that they'll be more knowledgeable about them. For instance, I took mine to a local dealer who doesn't sell them to get serviced, and he insisted on turning down the idle speed to ~1200 RPMs, although the manual plainly states it should be 1500. I also asked him to adjust my headlights, which were doing an excellent job of lighting overhead signs instead of the road and he insisted it couldn't be done. A really comprehensive link about new bikes.

Hi,

thanks for the link, very useful!

I am planning to get it from Mityon, corner Pattaya Tai / 3rd road. They do the maintenance and repair there as well.

I was really considering to buy a bigger bike, but considering the traffic in Pattaya, I thought, that the CBR150 is first choice. I do not plan very long tours or whatever. For that I prefer to use my car (not only because of baggage etc.).

Anyway, let's stay in touch here and maybe we will be able to set up a small meeting someday somewhere.

Ride safely

Moo9

Hi to all Chao Pattaya!

I'm in Pattaya as well, and by my count that makes 3 of us. Plus I have a friend who loves to ride his CBR150 but doesn't read the forum (no computer).

Maybe if we exchange PM's we can set up a meet and have our own rides here on the Eastern Seaboard.

Hi, great....That would be fun...I am quite busy for the time to come, but why not thinking of a meeting by end of June, should be out of trouble then:-)

You can always contact me by PM.

Cheers

Moo9

Hi all,

I never knew the CBR existed till I saw this thread. Looks interesting, but how about when you're giving someone a ride? Is it comfortable enough to do regularly. I suppose sidesaddle is out of the question?

The CBR is a great bike here in Thailand and pleased that you found this thread. My wife regularly rides pillion on my CBR. If she is wearing jeans she will sit straight up, but if I pick her up from work she is wearing a very slim fit Lanna Syle wrap around skirt so has to sit side saddle. The pillion pad is not large but most Asian women have a small bum so she manages very well and in some ways prefers it to riding pillion on the Honda Wave because she is perched a bit higher and can see over my shoulder. On the Wave she is bouncing around like a demented terrier trying to see under or around my arms. On the CBR she is eye height over the top of my shoulder.

She has sat side saddle for quite long distances but normally on trips will wear jeans (safer and more convenient). I will happily go for 10 hours at a time and only stop for pit stops but with her I go for about an hour and a half then take a break. She is happy and we can get some distance between stops. Most Thais, especially women start to fade out if they don't eat every hour and with a metabolism like a humming bird need to stock up regularly. The other problem for Thai women is that on pillion they can't talk and it has been documented in Medical Journals that forcing a Thai woman to not speak for more than two hours causes them to explode from the build up words. For the first ten minutes after we stop it is a full concentrated blast of pent up sentences until she has relieved the pressure sufficiently to then start eating.

:o

CB

cu Moo9

Excellent news - congratulations. Send photos. Another happy parent on his new baby AHHHH

CB

CBR150's are for pussies - real men ride NSR150's :o

post-46010-1179586916_thumb.jpg

no, real men ride nsr 250 rrs , or vfr 400rs (no pic of my vfr here unfortunately).

Where did you pick up the 250? Interested in the details.

CB

cu Moo9

Hi,

thanks for the link, very useful!

I am planning to get it from Mityon, corner Pattaya Tai / 3rd road. They do the maintenance and repair there as well.

I was really considering to buy a bigger bike, but considering the traffic in Pattaya, I thought, that the CBR150 is first choice. I do not plan very long tours or whatever. For that I prefer to use my car (not only because of baggage etc.).

Anyway, let's stay in touch here and maybe we will be able to set up a small meeting someday somewhere.

Ride safely

Moo9

Yeah, I've bought a Wave at that Mityon store. They throw in a free nylon jacket and a really cheap helmet! I didn't buy my CBR there because they only had red (?), and a motocyc driver friend of my g/f found a yellow one just down the road.

Bigger bikes in Pattaya aren't a good idea, as you've decided. Not only are the ones you can buy been beat to death by buddah knows who from where, they're grey imports that have been registered using crashed bikes. Not exactly something I'd want to deal with.

Hurry up and buy, I want to get together, but I'm leaving within the first couple weeks of June to go back and get some more money together. I'd be more than happy to meet half way between Bangkok and Pattaya, probably even go as far as Chonburi.

Will even bring the camera and be the designated photographer!

no, real men ride nsr 250 rrs , or vfr 400rs (no pic of my vfr here unfortunately).

CB

Even better, are there any Australians who can get the proper 250 heads to mate to our crankcases? I'd imagine that quite a few of us would like the stealth added power. He could probably have his effort rewarded just in getting them over here.

I sent that quote to a friend of mine who took over from me as secretary for a bike club. He is going to use it as a splash banner for the news letter.

He is the same guy who printed my picture and the fact that I am now riding a CBR150 much to the amusement of the club members.

NSRs are nice but I prefer my CBR for all round use.

CB

That pic was taken in the middle of the Mabprachan Reservoir Pattaya a couple of years back when it had all but dried up. The tree on a raised area in the background is an island that's usually in the middle of the huge reservoir.

If you wanna bike that'll really make the Thais stop and stare get something like this below. They look at it as if it's something from Mars, probably due to them wondering if anyone can really ride something so tall. You can stop at the lights next to Harleys, Ducatis, Triumphs or just about anything else and this'll probably get the most looks strangely enough. Sadly wasn't my bike, just had use of it for a couple of months but might put in an offer for it.

post-46010-1179913619_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've bought a Wave at that Mityon store. They throw in a free nylon jacket and a really cheap helmet! I didn't buy my CBR there because they only had red (?), and a motocyc driver friend of my g/f found a yellow one just down the road.

Bigger bikes in Pattaya aren't a good idea, as you've decided. Not only are the ones you can buy been beat to death by buddah knows who from where, they're grey imports that have been registered using crashed bikes. Not exactly something I'd want to deal with.

Hurry up and buy, I want to get together, but I'm leaving within the first couple weeks of June to go back and get some more money together. I'd be more than happy to meet half way between Bangkok and Pattaya, probably even go as far as Chonburi.

Will even bring the camera and be the designated photographer!

OK, I will try my best and send you a PM. Unfortunately I am so busy at this time. :o

cu

Moo9

If you wanna bike that'll really make the Thais stop and stare get something like this below. They look at it as if it's something from Mars, probably due to them wondering if anyone can really ride something so tall. You can stop at the lights next to Harleys, Ducatis, Triumphs or just about anything else and this'll probably get the most looks strangely enough. Sadly wasn't my bike, just had use of it for a couple of months but might put in an offer for it.

post-46010-1179913619_thumb.jpg

Yeah the bikes so hot the seat is on fire - the local thais are looking at it in case you are selling bbq chicken from it.

CB

CB

there are quite a few available in and around bangkok and pattaya. there iare a couple of mechanics who do nothing but. it is every bit as fast as the vfr 400 i have. tops out about 190. becomes airborne at 9000 rpm when it its its power curve.

A very interesting thread, the little CBR 150 sounds like a fun machine, at almost 3 score and 10 years young my CBR 1000 is getting to be a bit of a handful for me so I have it on the market,maybe a 150 is the way for me as the need for a blast remains strong.

A very interesting thread, the little CBR 150 sounds like a fun machine, at almost 3 score and 10 years young my CBR 1000 is getting to be a bit of a handful for me so I have it on the market,maybe a 150 is the way for me as the need for a blast remains strong.

If you still haven't sold it by ~November, I may be interested in it.

So hopefully I'll get my CBR150R by today. How is the legal situation on Yoshimura exhaust systems? I recently get caught by the Pattaya Police with my Yamaha Nouvo on which I installed a racing can. That was, I admit, terribly loud, but a nice sound. The Police took my bike away, I had to go to their storage the next day, had to put on the original system again, then reported back to the police, paying some 1,500 Bht and after that I was allowed to pick up my bike again.

So I wonder, whether there is any legal way to get a modified exhaust system? Anybody knows?

Drive safely

Moo9

So hopefully I'll get my CBR150R by today. How is the legal situation on Yoshimura exhaust systems? I recently get caught by the Pattaya Police with my Yamaha Nouvo on which I installed a racing can. That was, I admit, terribly loud, but a nice sound. The Police took my bike away, I had to go to their storage the next day, had to put on the original system again, then reported back to the police, paying some 1,500 Bht and after that I was allowed to pick up my bike again.

So I wonder, whether there is any legal way to get a modified exhaust system? Anybody knows?

Drive safely

Moo9

You know I've always wondered about that. This being Thailand, and the amount of crap that other vehicles put in the air (yes I'm talking about you you nasty delivery trucks!), and the noise that all those vendors pollute with (get your eggs for 18 bhat) I'd assume it wouldn't be a problem. I've also seen Thais with aftermarket exhaust systems.

However, us being non-Thai, it may or not be ok depending on if the police officer in question has enough money to get his beer, or if he's having a good day, or whatever. I would think that IF you bought an aftermarket system, you could probably get it wrapped with the old can that was originally on your bike.

Here is an interesting thing about bikes older than 5 years and noisy exhausts. Firstly they do a mini test on the bike to check its roadworthy when you renew your road tax (tabien rot), this includes lights, turning the engine over, etc. Thus if you get a noisy exhaust (to impress the neighbours?), then keep the old one so you can put it on every year to get through the test :o Girlfriend tried to move a Bangkok bike to Khon Kean and they failed it on the noisy (souped up?) exhaust. Said come back when you have 'fixed it'.

Archived