Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Hi Bard. One of the things repeated here often is that the 2008 - maybe even 2007 - CBR150 is designed to run on 91 gasohol.

I agree with the rest of your post. It has been a bit disappointing that the CBR150 has no competition until you get to the Ninja 250 at three or four times the price of a CBR150.

Yes it is sad there is no real competition for it. I would like the Yamaha 125, Aprilia 125 and all the other 125's EU models sold in Thailand that would be a great competition for the CBR 150, and just as well replace the 150 with EU spec CBR 125 with fuel injection, the 125 class in Europe is pretty big and popular as it's legal to ride from 16 years of age, the difference between a EU spec 125 and the CBR 150 is miniscule anyway so why not? They are great beginner bikes, and commuters for people who don't need a big bike.

Cheers Bard

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I mean is this thread is 100% incomprehensible, it is impossible to really track any info. And I wonder why it's like that. There is a lot of tire queries a bit back right?

So why not open a new thread "CBR150 Tire choices" or "CBR150 Tire recommendations"

A way back there were tuning info, why not put in a new thread "CBR150 Tuning"

Now you might find bits and pieces in no order whatsoever about say tires, or tuning or what have you...

If you get my drift, I suspect this thread is just ever increasing with OT, and same type of posts to keep it on the first page or something childish.

For owners it would be far easier to put in different threads, keep it in focus and dude people looking for information will find it easy, works better for Google and other search engines as well.

When you see Honda CBR150, and below "an owners club" you would expect to find the dudes owning them showing pictures of there rides, not a total unfocused ramble with CBR150 included. It is up to you guys but I find it very strange, and hard to understand.

Cheers Bard

What I mean is this thread is 100% incomprehensible, it is impossible to really track any info. And I wonder why it's like that.

I suspect this thread is just ever increasing with OT, and same type of posts to keep it on the first page or something childish.

Sorry Bard- it's just the nature of forums that there will always be a lot of off topic chatter and useless information. The same is certainly true of the Ninja 250 thread and the ER6n thread. Not much anyone can do about it unless the mods want to take it upon themselves to go through and delete all of the off topic material. I certainly wouldn't envy them that job! One clever thing that PeaceBlondie did was start a new thread for the Ninja 250 at the beginning of the year that links back to the original thread. While not a perfect solution this at least helps keep the thread size somewhat manageable... Anyway- I know you're already a member on that "other" Thai motorcycle site, and there's much less off topic nonsense over there... But it's a quiet site. The more traffic the more junk I'm afraid...

Happy Trails!

Tony

I considered starting a new CBR150 thread this year, but never got around to it. A new thread for each sub-topic - even four of them - would be an idea. However, merging and splicing is almost a no-no here,. Even if you get it right, it messes up the google zakatubbies, or the baruschdukas.

I could delete the off topic stuff about bikes other than CBR150, but that might not be fair. It would also renumber the remaining posts in the thread.

If you wish to locate an especially good set of posts, why not attach a new post, below, citing the post number? Even that, however, would be better to link, rather than show the post #

What I mean is this thread is 100% incomprehensible, it is impossible to really track any info. And I wonder why it's like that. There is a lot of tire queries a bit back right?

So why not open a new thread "CBR150 Tire choices" or "CBR150 Tire recommendations"

A way back there were tuning info, why not put in a new thread "CBR150 Tuning"

Now you might find bits and pieces in no order whatsoever about say tires, or tuning or what have you...

If you get my drift, I suspect this thread is just ever increasing with OT, and same type of posts to keep it on the first page or something childish.

For owners it would be far easier to put in different threads, keep it in focus and dude people looking for information will find it easy, works better for Google and other search engines as well.

When you see Honda CBR150, and below "an owners club" you would expect to find the dudes owning them showing pictures of there rides, not a total unfocused ramble with CBR150 included. It is up to you guys but I find it very strange, and hard to understand.

Cheers Bard

There are times when I remembered a post about something related to the CBR150 and I was always able to find it again using the Thai Visa search function. I greatly enjoy the thread and don't find it overly unfocused... All of us have an interest in the CBR150 and motorcycling or otherwise we would not be posting and reading. Even the heavy Kawasaki 250 talk was okay because all of us keep our eyes open for a CBR150 alternative. I've learned a lot about the bike and Thailand on this thread.

Hi Tony. Nice to hear from you again. I went to the motor show at the weekend and Honda are doing nothing until (maybe) much later this year. I have now ridden the Tiger, you can find a trip report on here somewhere and honestly its a nice little bike for the money. the cbr150 and 250 have been sold. And i am probably going to get a 2nd hand Suzuki vx800 that i have found cheap.

The Tiger factory is on the Chonburi side of Bangkok as well, i had one on a 4 day test ride, went to Khoen Kaen and back. soon i might get the new Sachs 250 x-trail for a test ride as well. they also have a TT racer retro classic bike, Its based on the 150cc engine and really for the Thais as its a bit small. But looks great IMO.

post-62652-1238507418_thumb.jpgpost-62652-1238507699_thumb.jpg

Also the New 250 boxer seat.

post-62652-1238508007_thumb.jpg

Tony (bkk). Tony B has already had a Kawa 250 he did not like it.

Hi Allan, you forgot about the BAHT ? hey how much is that retro 150 & is it on sale now ??, can you call me please as I dont have your number, mines 087-1487325

Just a paint job, nothing more. I walked away from it at the dealership in 2003 and bought a new red one like T_Dog's that looked much better. Just a very busy, confused paint job. I got 17,000 for it when I sold it on, in May 2008, with 54K on the clock.

The Repsol is probably slower under the weight of all those stickers! I agree with Peace, very confused paint job. Sometimes i liked it but mostly i found the orange a bit dated. I tried to jazz mine up by painting the wheels and black bits the Repsol blue, it certainly made it look a little nicer, at least a bit more distinct.

The petrol tank had a couple of dinges and scratches so i thought about a repaint and get rid of the Repsol stickers. At first i tried to do a blue and orange scheme so i wouldn't have to go to the MoT and change the colour in the green-book. I like the burnt orange of the Kawa ER6N, and the only thing you can do with orange is flames! I saw a photo of a Kawa Ninja in purple and silver flames, so decided to go that path but keeping the Repsol Metallic Blue. i got it back last night. They didn't do what i wanted (blue fading into silver but maybe the bike is too small for that) but it doesn't look bad. Different at least! Would have prefered the main frame and the black panels to be painted the new silver, but maybe the painter go ti right.

Finally got around to installing the gear indicator light today, took about an hour or so.

Removal of the dash panel:

post-48432-1239620640_thumb.jpg

Testing before dash re-assembly:

post-48432-1239620815_thumb.jpg

After completing installation including the gear selector. In the neutral position:

post-48432-1239620925_thumb.jpg

In sixth gear, with the top gear light activated:

post-48432-1239621031_thumb.jpg

Did a short ride and everything seems to be working great! When Songkran's over I'd like to get out on a longer ride....can't wait!

hello everyone, this thread is very informative! keep it coming guys! :o

i'm a cbr150r owner since september 2008. since i found this problem last week. the headlight was burnt due to electrical problems. now i'm having hard time looking for genuine part. do you think cbr125r headlight will fit in cbr150r withou any modification?

one more question, what is the biggest bore we can install to our cbr? do we have 250cc bore up kit?

hello everyone, this thread is very informative! keep it coming guys! :o

i'm a cbr150r owner since september 2008. since i found this problem last week. the headlight was burnt due to electrical problems. now i'm having hard time looking for genuine part. do you think cbr125r headlight will fit in cbr150r withou any modification?

one more question, what is the biggest bore we can install to our cbr? do we have 250cc bore up kit?

I'm surprised the Honda dealership can't order one for you; even if it's a bit more costly than you're expecting, it will still probably be cheaper than ordering a pre-2007 CBR 125 (those were carbon copies of the CBR 150-can't guarantee that the post 2007 with the design change will work) from a European wrecker and paying shipping and possibly import taxes.

As for as 'bore-up' kits, you can get a 195.6 cc from Goodspeed, 177 cc from Faddy, and Akunar merely has a 'contact us for information'.

I would think that the Goodspeed kit is about as big as you can go judging by the minute amount of metal left between the cylinder bore and the mounting bolts. Another thing that has been discussed is the added stress that would be put onto the whole machine. To add that much oomph on a single cylinder engine is going to create a lot of vibrations that the machine may not be prepared to handle.

Goodspeed's kit:

CBR-182-195-cc-L.jpg

Faddy's kit:

93012c.jpg

Different at least! Would have prefered the main frame and the black panels to be painted the new silver, but maybe the painter go ti right.

I think it looks great.

Of all the various standard Honda paint jobs I like the Repsol the best, but have to say the new finish in blue / silver looks stunning, hope yr happy with it.

Bros

I changed my rear sprocket/cog from a 44 tooth to a 47 tooth. I did a run before and after for comparison. My bike is a 2004 and has done 45,000 kms (therefore lower compression than a new bike), I had ½ a tank of 91 Benzene for both runs, I weigh with my gear about 80kgs, Michelin tyres (rear 100/80-17), standard 15 Tooth front sprocket, larger stainless steel exhaust header with modified original muffler, 28mm carbie, CDI is original so I hit the rev limiter (11,500 revs) and took note of the speed, I wasn't fully tucked down behind the screen.

Gear . . . . Speed (km/h) . . . . . .Speed (km/h)

. . . . . . . . . . 44Tooth . . . . . . . . . . 47Tooth

1st . . . . . . . . . . 48 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42

2nd . . . . . . . . . .72 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 68

3rd . . . . . . . . . . 93 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 88

4th . . . . . . . . . .115 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .105

5th . . . . . . . . . .130 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .122

6th . . . . . . . . . . ?? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 135

NB: Speed is indicated (probably reading 5% to 10% too high).

While not scientific as factors such as temperature and wind are not taken into consideration it should give a rough idea. You can also check out http://www.gearingcommander.com to work out how different tyres, sprockets will affect the bike; it has the CBR150 data available.

I've also had a 39T rear sprocket fitted earlier but didn't take any figures; for my use the 39T and even the 44T is too highly geared. The 47T is perfect for me as most of my use is around town, but still nice on the highway. With the 47T the bike is very tractable, even in 6th gear doing 100km/h it had good acceleration to overtake without changing down a gear. Changing from 1st to 2nd after it hits the rev limiter will pop the front wheel up, if that is your sort of thing!

My mechanic reckons that 95 Benzene won't make much difference, although I have used it and it seemed to go better; he said it will be phased out anyway. He also said not to run Gasohol/Soho but to use Benzene. As for running Avgas, I would think the only advantage you can get is if you up the piston compression, but that means you may always have to run Avgas.

As for my new paint job: once I let go of what I thought it was going to be and accepted what I got, I now love it! All I need now (besides a rebore) is some blue lights shining underneath! :o

larger stainless steel exhaust header with modified original muffler,

Hey!

What did you do to the muffler? Drill the exhaust hole a little bigger?

Cheers, M.

It still has the original outlet pipe. Not sure what was done but they did take the ends off and mucked around inside. I'm thinking the first mechanic (that did this) basically ripped me off! As Alan pointed out, most of the gain in the exhaust is with the bigger header pipe.

I'm thinking of upgrading eventually to a Ninja 250 or an ER6F. Actually don't really need to as the CBR does all i want, but the need for speed is tugging at me; which no doubt will get me into a lot of trouble! :o

Ok Girls and Boys. Your chance to get yourself a FANTASTIC 2007 Honda Cbr150, it's like new (only 3,000km), red and black, near showroom condition.

Only 43,000baht or nearest offer

(quick sale needed, Wife has a dying buffalo in need of the Vet's :o:D )

It's a friends bike and it's in Silom BKK. Pm me(allan) or call Richard on 0846487815. Pictures later, but hey you know what one looks like.

I changed my rear sprocket/cog from a 44 tooth to a 47 tooth. I did a run before and after for comparison. My bike is a 2004 and has done 45,000 kms (therefore lower compression than a new bike), I had ½ a tank of 91 Benzene for both runs, I weigh with my gear about 80kgs, Michelin tyres (rear 100/80-17), standard 15 Tooth front sprocket, larger stainless steel exhaust header with modified original muffler, 28mm carbie, CDI is original so I hit the rev limiter (11,500 revs) and took note of the speed, I wasn't fully tucked down behind the screen.

I'm in Chiangmai, where did you buy your 47 tooth rear sprocket from?

See Toi at Race Shop (near Chiang Phuak - there are directions earlier in this thread).

Just got back from holidays, and rode the CBR this morning for the first time. Hit 151 at 12k - fully tucked - no wind (47 tooth). Held it for about 5 minutes...

See Toi at Race Shop (near Chiang Phuak - there are directions earlier in this thread).

Just got back from holidays, and rode the CBR this morning for the first time. Hit 151 at 12k - fully tucked - no wind (47 tooth). Held it for about 5 minutes...

Can you help me with a link for directions to this place? I've looked back in the posts but can't see the directions anywhere.

Thanks

It still has the original outlet pipe. Not sure what was done but they did take the ends off and mucked around inside. I'm thinking the first mechanic (that did this) basically ripped me off! As Alan pointed out, most of the gain in the exhaust is with the bigger header pipe.

I'm thinking of upgrading eventually to a Ninja 250 or an ER6F. Actually don't really need to as the CBR does all i want, but the need for speed is tugging at me; which no doubt will get me into a lot of trouble! :)

I think you'll be disappointed if you go up to only the 250. For the price spread, you can't beat the ER-6*. More than double the power, more comfortable ergos, and if you have a FNU a better rear seat will sway your mind toward it. I've got the Ninja and the CBR and it's a bit silly to upgrade only to the Ninja if you're interested in more speed. There IS more speed, but not to the point that I believe justifies the amount of change you'll have to dig out of your sofa.

I'm not belittling the Ninja 250; in fact I try and give good example/counter-examples of why it could be better than the CBR for a buyer. And if you already have a CBR and are looking for more power, you're better off getting a ER-6* (at least until Honda releases a competitor....probably not going to happen until the Japan import tariffs are lifted).

I'm thinking of upgrading eventually to a Ninja 250 or an ER6F. Actually don't really need to as the CBR does all i want, but the need for speed is tugging at me; which no doubt will get me into a lot of trouble! :D

I think you'll be disappointed if you go up to only the 250. For the price spread, you can't beat the ER-6*. More than double the power, more comfortable ergos, and if you have a FNU a better rear seat will sway your mind toward it. I've got the Ninja and the CBR and it's a bit silly to upgrade only to the Ninja if you're interested in more speed. There IS more speed, but not to the point that I believe justifies the amount of change you'll have to dig out of your sofa.

I'm not belittling the Ninja 250; in fact I try and give good example/counter-examples of why it could be better than the CBR for a buyer. And if you already have a CBR and are looking for more power, you're better off getting a ER-6* (at least until Honda releases a competitor....probably not going to happen until the Japan import tariffs are lifted).

Thanks Dave. The CBR is my first bike so i was thinking going up to a 250 was a safer bet, but in Farang Land a 650 is still considered a beginners bike. I'm just blasting around town at the moment which the CBR is great for, but i do find it a bit tiring the few times i have gone for a jaunt down the Highway. I am going to wait for the Kwaka ER6f which has ABS and the fairing that should come out later in the year. Anyway, by that time i will have more riding experience. As i am in Pattaya, one day i'll get around to doing a day with the High Side Tours guys at Bira race track. The FNU is a mute point as she refuses to get on the back of a sports bike with me (clever girl!!!) And she is a back-seat-rider! At least on a big bike i can open the throttle and won't hear her nagging me. But she is the sort of person who'll take her helmet off and start beating me with it! :) In some ways, the bigger bike might be a life saver for me as it may stop me pulling stupid overtaking moves, and generally acting like a hooligan around town.

I have been waiting, like you have, to see what Honda brings out. The import tariffs are dropping, i think earlier in the thread is a link to the agreement but it only drops about 4% a year for the next 6 years.

I got the guy who painted my bike to paint a helmet for me, based on a Suomy design.

Thanks Dave. The CBR is my first bike so i was thinking going up to a 250 was a safer bet, but in Farang Land a 650 is still considered a beginners bike. I'm just blasting around town at the moment which the CBR is great for, but i do find it a bit tiring the few times i have gone for a jaunt down the Highway. I am going to wait for the Kwaka ER6f which has ABS and the fairing that should come out later in the year. Anyway, by that time i will have more riding experience. As i am in Pattaya, one day i'll get around to doing a day with the High Side Tours guys at Bira race track. The FNU is a mute point as she refuses to get on the back of a sports bike with me (clever girl!!!) And she is a back-seat-rider! At least on a big bike i can open the throttle and won't hear her nagging me. But she is the sort of person who'll take her helmet off and start beating me with it! :) In some ways, the bigger bike might be a life saver for me as it may stop me pulling stupid overtaking moves, and generally acting like a hooligan around town.

I have been waiting, like you have, to see what Honda brings out. The import tariffs are dropping, i think earlier in the thread is a link to the agreement but it only drops about 4% a year for the next 6 years.

I got the guy who painted my bike to paint a helmet for me, based on a Suomy design.

Get some information from Tony (Bigbikebkk) about the ER-6N. From what I've read it's not over-kill powerwise, i.e. it shouldn't kill you if you grab a big old handful of throttle. However it is MUCH more torquey than the other bikes you're looking at so it's definitely something to consider.

It's a really good idea if you had never ridden before to have started off on the baby CBR; I never understood why any Tom, Dick, or Harry could walk into a dealership with an endorsment and the money and ride out with a large bike when they're only 16 in the States.

It's also a good idea to get training in with professionals. You'd be amazed at how many bad habits you have and they'll be able to provide information that you need.

I also act quite stupid on my CBR, but since I live in the sticks it's not fraught with the dangers that you face. Consider that the first month or so on your new big bike could be quite dangerous; the temptations will still be there but all that you know from your little 150 will be turned on its head. The acceleration will get you in quite a bit of trouble and the higher speeds are going to peel more skin off when you go down.

There's two bikes that I want to see from Honda; the Transalp and the CBR 600ABS. If they both came out in LOS I know I'd lust after the 600 but would probably end up with the Transalp. Power is more or less on par with the ER-6N (IIRC!) but it's much more off road capable. Plus it's a Honda :D .

That was a bad idea to paint your helmet. The chemicals (solvents) used whilst painting weakens the structure....but it does look good.

Get some information from Tony (Bigbikebkk) about the ER-6N. From what I've read it's not over-kill powerwise, i.e. it shouldn't kill you if you grab a big old handful of throttle. However it is MUCH more torquey than the other bikes you're looking at so it's definitely something to consider.

It's a really good idea if you had never ridden before to have started off on the baby CBR; I never understood why any Tom, Dick, or Harry could walk into a dealership with an endorsment and the money and ride out with a large bike when they're only 16 in the States.

It's also a good idea to get training in with professionals. You'd be amazed at how many bad habits you have and they'll be able to provide information that you need.

I also act quite stupid on my CBR, but since I live in the sticks it's not fraught with the dangers that you face. Consider that the first month or so on your new big bike could be quite dangerous; the temptations will still be there but all that you know from your little 150 will be turned on its head. The acceleration will get you in quite a bit of trouble and the higher speeds are going to peel more skin off when you go down.

There's two bikes that I want to see from Honda; the Transalp and the CBR 600ABS. If they both came out in LOS I know I'd lust after the 600 but would probably end up with the Transalp. Power is more or less on par with the ER-6N (IIRC!) but it's much more off road capable. Plus it's a Honda :D .

That was a bad idea to paint your helmet. The chemicals (solvents) used whilst painting weakens the structure....but it does look good.

I'm waiting to see what Honda bring out too, but more importantly if it is value for money like the ER6. Still, i do love my CBR 150, it is sooo much fun around town. Last time i was in Aus i bought all the protective clothing i needed, not that i wear it all going around town. At least i should wear the Kevlar jeans and vented jacket, as they aren't too hot. Actually i was surprised that even at 20 km/h the vented jacket had a nice flow of air through it.

Yeah, i know about painting helmets; it depends on the paints used, there are very good water based paints now. Not that mine was painted using water base, i just wanted to test the design and the capabilities of the painter. I didn't do it to my Arai helmet but to a local one that i use around town when i need to leave the helmet on the bike. Let's face it, a coat of paint on some of the el cheapo Thai helmets can only strengthen them! :D

I went to look at a CBR 150 about 3 months ago and was told by the salesman to wait a couple of months, as the current model was "having some problems", and the new model would be better. I gave them my number and told them to call me when the new ones came in. About 6 weeks later he called and my wife and I went to take a look. Ended up buying a new black one, as well as a one of a kind paint job Air Blade for my wife. Both bikes get a lot of looks from everyone, and while the Air Blade is a good bike for her, and a 'family' bike for us, the CBR is MINE!!! lol. I've run it against some of the older ones here in Chiang Mai and have yet to lose, which doesn't necessarily make the Thai riders real happy at times. lol. We live about 18 k outside of the city itself, and when I'm on the highway and there's little to no traffic, I forget the speedometer and just go with what feels good. Did that today on an empty stretch and found myself doing 210, and was comfortable with that. In 4 four words - I Love This Bike!

I went to look at a CBR 150 about 3 months ago and was told by the salesman to wait a couple of months, as the current model was "having some problems", and the new model would be better. I gave them my number and told them to call me when the new ones came in. About 6 weeks later he called and my wife and I went to take a look. Ended up buying a new black one, as well as a one of a kind paint job Air Blade for my wife. Both bikes get a lot of looks from everyone, and while the Air Blade is a good bike for her, and a 'family' bike for us, the CBR is MINE!!! lol. I've run it against some of the older ones here in Chiang Mai and have yet to lose, which doesn't necessarily make the

Thai riders real happy at times. lol. We live about 18 k outside of the city itself, and when I'm on the highway and there's little to no traffic, I forget the speedometer and just go with what feels good. Did that today on an empty stretch and found myself doing 210, and was comfortable with that. In 4 four words - I Love This Bike!

210? Was that having gone off the edge of a cliff?

Since you'd have to be spinning the engine at some 15 750 RPM at stock gearing; it must have been very interesting to see your speedo almost topped out.post-a33235-IMAGE-00145.jpg

Oh, and there were NO problems with the last years model; I'd be willing to bet that the loss of face for not being able to deliver is moer likely the reason that you were fed that story.

There has been a new black one sitting in the Mityon Naklua showroom for about 3 weeks now. I didn't notice any difference from last years model. But i am jealous that you did buy a new one, i bought mine with 44k kms on it. Since the ER6F is not coming out til November and Honda hasn't announced anything, i just might get a rebore a drop a bigger piston in mine. Or get a jet pack fitted and go for the double ton! :)