Submarine row threatens to become political time bomb

snoop1130

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

“[Submarines] are not meant for combat with any country. They are a strategic weapon to protect sovereignty,”

and he wonders why the people want him out.... sh...ty decisions, unnecessary spending under the pretext of preserving/ protecting sovereignty ... a non sense excuse like that makes me wonder how much is inside the envelope

"Vested interests"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

But surely that fact alone shows Thailand DOES NOT NEED subs. The fact that for nearly 70 years they have not shown that subs would have done them any benefit in a war, a conflict or security shows its a waste of money !

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

“[Submarines] are not meant for combat with any country. They are a strategic weapon to protect sovereignty,”

and he wonders why the people want him out.... sh...ty decisions, unnecessary spending under the pretext of preserving/ protecting sovereignty ... a non sense excuse like that makes me wonder how much is inside the envelope

'protecting sovereignty' is a joke concept anyway. The Chinks are taking over by welcomed stealth methods. I have already stopped my Thai language lessons and am on Chinese now!!! ???????????????? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

'protecting sovereignty' is a joke concept anyway. The Chinks are taking over by welcomed stealth methods. I have already stopped my Thai language lessons and am on Chinese now!!! ???????????????? 

Exactly. I bet these 'patriotic' generals do it all for their Chinese friends. Debt for subs, debt for highspeed trains, debt for other projects. Money loaned by the Chinese. And a ruined economy due to the blocked borders. 

China loves a ruined Thai economy. What a bargain, what an opportunity to invest and to take over. And the Thai debt there is welcomed to control Thailand for the next decades.

It's so cheap to buy a country when you have the right corrupt friends in the government there. Just a few million dollars and a handful Philipp Patek watches, and the country is yours! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

How much, would think more than you and I can scrape together........ 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, snoop1130 said:

“[Submarines] are not meant for combat with any country.

For what then, watering the flowers on sea? Or aiding in flooded areas?

They better put the money on rescue boats.

They are a strategic weapon to protect sovereignty,” he said,

So they are meant for combat with any county.

adding that, “everybody will be held responsible for the consequences” of failure to procure the “strategic weapon”.

So better worded; if there will be combats coming and no submarines available, they are held responsible.. 

plan to buy two more China-made subs.

Thailand used to have a fleet of four submarines – all built in Japan – but these were decommissioned in 1951, according to the Navy.

The reporting ..

How many subs does Thailand have ? Zero.

In the report : ' buy two more '  , so they have already bought subs in the (previous) deal.

Or is it wrong reporting and it's about buying another (2nd) sub on top of one sub already acknowledged in the deal?

Ooooh no, please stop..... out comes the sovereignty card.......... lower than a snakes bum !  

“[Submarines] are not meant for combat with any country. They are a strategic weapon to protect sovereignty,” he said, adding that, “everybody will be held responsible for the consequences” of failure to procure the “strategic weapon”.

Someone should of explained this to the German U boat fleet......  

• Sad 1

1598494741531@2x.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy held a press conference on Monday to defend the submarine deal. (Photo

They wouldn't be trying to be intimidating surely, only 14 at the press conference, and no combat marines, they must be slipping.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

They wouldn't be trying to be intimidating surely, only 14 at the press conference, and no combat marines, they must be slipping.

Seems the usual (SWAT) in this case Navy Seals forgot to come along for the photo shoot.... 

21 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

is this so that YOU can order a CHINESE take away ????!!!

hee hee

Not to worry. Prayut has already said, if the budget does not get approved, he has a backup plan to get the subs.

As they say "a fool and his money are soon parted", unfortunately in this case "the fool will soon part Thailand from their money".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

many months ago.....there was a photo of him on here (and I have said this before) the caption read "i can do what i want to do"

!!!!!!!

I remember the last one that said that back in 92, next time i saw him he was crawling on his knees begging for his life in front of the big boss..........  Good job he was wearing dark trousers.......    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I think you are about right with your remark, and those of us who have been in Thailand a few years know the real reason for the purchase!

Correct - submarines, brown envelope and lunch boxes are mutually compatible.... 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not expert but I would have thought around the coastline of Thailand the sub's would be pretty useless 

Not that it really matters, like the aircraft less aircraft carrier bolted to the wall at its base - just useless rust  collecting scrap. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not expert but I would have thought around the coastline of Thailand the sub's would be pretty useless 

Tha Navy has said the subs are for use in the Andaman Sea so, presumably, the new sub port is to be built on the western seaboard. Then, it's  "Hands up Burma!"

• Haha 1