Opening up Thailand to tourists a "potential catastrophe", wait six months urges Chula doctor

webfact

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

When the annual flu season is just kicking-off in the countries that provide most of Thailand's tourists, it's probably not the best time to start opening the borders. The shops, hotels and bars might get a decent month or so of business, but as the virus starts spreading out of control the authorities will have no choice but to impose a lockdown again. The lockdown will seriously hurt most businesses, not just those in the tourism sector. So what do you do, give the tourism industry a brief respite at possibly enormous and unnecessary cost to the non-foreign tourist sector, which makes up 85% of Thailand's GDP remember? That doesn't make any sense to me, why would you risk inflicting great damage on the largest part of your economy just to try and boost a relatively small part of it?

Sound like Spain. Desperation for the tourist dollars. Now they are heading into Autumn and Winter with a large spike in cases they probably wont be able to control.

5 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

There is usually a lag of about 4 weeks after infection rates spike for the death rate to start to increase

No that's only 14 days, look at the graph above about France:

- peak of the "daily new cases" = 31 th march

- peak of "daily new deaths" = 15 th april

That's also why the quarantines lasts 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Mises said:

I am from the UK.

Does anyone anywhere know anyone who actually died of COVID? Of not with.  One guy at my work knows someone that died but they were at death’s door anyway and that is the total extent of my experience.  My daughter was working as flight crew abroad but gave up and returned to Thailand, she has 3 more days of quarantine in a hotel, she is not allowed out of the room at all and all food is delivered to outside the door.  14 days of that would send anyone crazy even without their carreer being destroyed.  Yesterday a man doing the same in her hotel threw himself off the balcony.  So I now know of more suicides than COVID caused deaths.  I suspect I am not alone.  And that is before all the extra cancer and heart disease deaths that are now a certainty in the UK

Do you know anyone, who died of starvation?

No?

Neither do I!

Still millions are dying of starvation, every year!

Not seeing something personally and then not believing it is not the most intelligent way to go about things!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is the problem with the so called doctors where ppl trust them like they were god while they only memorized more words from the textbook in the school which are already written down in the book and available to read to anyone, and throw op those textbook words again front of the exam judges makes u entitled to be a doctor who will heal the population. This is one of the basic problem with the world 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mises said:

I am from the UK.

Does anyone anywhere know anyone who actually died of COVID? Of not with.  One guy at my work knows someone that died but they were at death’s door anyway and that is the total extent of my experience.  My daughter was working as flight crew abroad but gave up and returned to Thailand, she has 3 more days of quarantine in a hotel, she is not allowed out of the room at all and all food is delivered to outside the door.  14 days of that would send anyone crazy even without their carreer being destroyed.  Yesterday a man doing the same in her hotel threw himself off the balcony.  So I now know of more suicides than COVID caused deaths.  I suspect I am not alone.  And that is before all the extra cancer and heart disease deaths that are now a certainty in the UK

I know of one person now fighting severe pneumonia with the actual virus long gone. He is well over 70 with an underlying condition. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mises said:

I am from the UK.

The same for me with the exception that no one I know has died or even been Knowingly infected. Mind you when you look at the amount of human beings in the world and the number of confirmed COVID-19 infections the odds appear slim.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

You are aware that the big increase is cases is due to the huge increase in testing correct?  Most of the people that are shown as positive have no symptoms whatsover.  You are aware of this correct...... in case you haven't noticed.

And what drives the increase in testing ?

2 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

AGreed , Do what Bali is doing 

What are they doing besides shutting down completely as of now.  Do you have any new info.

Latest as of yesterday was closed until 2021

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bali-closed-coronavirus-foreign-tourists-2021-indonesia-september-a9687021.html?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Availability of testing equipment and reagents. Supply and capacity has been greatly increased (not so in Thailand, still at ~5k/d AFAIK).

So when they get more equipment and reagents etc more people come out to get tested ?

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It need be acknowledged that there is an inevitable lag time for recorded fatalities from an increase in infection rates. No doubt there will those  who will insist that these two graphs "prove" the risk level has been exaggerated  as  opposed to the  reality  only  time  will tell !

And yet the correlation between the March and May sections of each graph suggests not so much... Or did you conveniently overlook that?