Opening up Thailand to tourists a "potential catastrophe", wait six months urges Chula doctor

webfact

6 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Sorry but there is a second wave in France and Spain right now,, check Worldometer. I agree no need to panic. The hospitals are getting better at treating symptoms plus the social distancing s protecting the most vulnerable, hence the death rates are low. However if Europe lapse on social distancing the deaths rates could rise very quickly.

But have you read the news that Oxford University look to be finished on the vaccine in 6 weeks, so returning life back to normal next year... Dont know how long to roll it out to other nations but it's a great start.

Agree to all your points. If we should call it a second wave or not now is a question how to define this. But it's way less dramatic than 6 months ago.

The news about the vaccine are very good indeed. So there is hope. I wonder, however, how the reaction of the Thai government will be when the first vaccinated Westerners ask for entering the country. 

2 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Agree to all your points. If we should call it a second wave or not now is a question how to define this. But it's way less dramatic than 6 months ago.

The news about the vaccine are very good indeed. So there is hope. I wonder, however, how the reaction of the Thai government will be when the first vaccinated Westerners ask for entering the country. 

They will be very very disappointed if a vaccine becomes available as they can no longer fleece foreigners with all the tests and OSQ Hotels but I think they will think of some other reason to relieve us of our money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They will be very very disappointed if a vaccine becomes available as they can no longer fleece foreigners with all the tests and OSQ Hotels but I think they will think of some other reason to relieve us of our money.

I am nearly positive a vaccine is on the way. Oxford University are not known for slapdash statements and they were making very positive noises about their vaccine when they started the trials a few months ago.

Can you imagine how much cash is going to be made from the vaccine,,,! every country in the world is going to be willing to pay for it to get the economies moving again.. It would be a fantastic thing if they were to release the vaccine formula free to all countries but that's obviously an unrealistic expectation.. 

28 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I assume some one from the government read the Thai Visa posts, maybe they were testing the water to see the reaction ?

Surely they read our posts. They are keen to track foreigners wherever and whenever possibly. For sure also on Thaivisa.

But honestly, isn't that one reason why we post all this here? We want to hold a mirrow towards them to show them that we understand what really happens here, but also TO HELP THEM to understand what is wrong in this nevertheless so wonderful country which honestly we love same as they might love it. And also, we hope to teach them not to believe everything they are told by their superiors, and to learn to start to think for themselves, isn't it?

Make Thailand great again! :thumbsup:

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

Surely they read our posts. They are keen to track foreigners wherever and whenever possibly. For sure also on Thaivisa.

But honestly, isn't that one reason why we post all this here? We want to hold a mirrow towards them to show them that we understand what really happens here, but also TO HELP THEM to understand what is wrong in this nevertheless so wonderful country which honestly we love same as they might love it. And also, we hope to teach them not to believe everything they are told by their superiors, and to learn to start to think for themselves, isn't it?

I think it is very unlikely the government give a toss what we write on this forum. They certainly wouldn't see you or anyone else as "teaching them". The only time i can see anyone from the authorities intervenes in an English expat forum is if there were posts or topics in violation of Thai law, even then it will be an administrator that picks up the information. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

God I am so tired of the conspiracy nonsense,,, so who is creating this conspiracy and how is it being coordinated across all countries? What is the end game? Are all the doctors, scientists, hospital workers all over the world in on this conspiracy? Are they all keeping it a secret?

This conspiracy is on a par with the end of the world is coming and the whole world will collapse in 2000 when the entire worlds computer systems will shut down,,, surprise surprise nothing happened.. Same will happen here, the vaccine will be launched soon and by first quarter 2021 we will be returning back to normal, that's my thoughts and all the silliness around all these conspiracies will be forgotten like all the conspiracies that went before.

I suppose the hardcore conspiracy stuff comes from people trying to find reason, or cause, for all the madness going on. 

There must be a huge amount of people who have been massively effected by the reaction to all this, people who live in areas that were never likely to have any Corona at all anyway. Yet they are suffering.

So i imagine, for them, this has been an absolute farce that could have been handled a lot better.

Western Australia for example:

since march:

population: 2.6million

655 cases.

641 recovered.

9 deaths.

I dont think anyone is calling it a straight out hoax, but there must be many that are seriously piรรed off and asking questions.

As we know, the mantra of every government has always been

"never let a good crisis go to waste"

It might be leaning on the conspiracy side a little, but i have no doubt that there would be people and governments using all this to fix certain agendas. 

• Like 2

Im beginning to think the government is not that interested in the tourism business when I look it's only certain areas that are suffering like the west coast of Phuket go to Phuket town it's pretty much business as usual we went for a meal last week the place we ate at was busy people waiting for tables,

In Rawai Sunday evening was busy along the seafront the local markets were busy.

We had a friend staying with us for a couple of days who works for one of the biggest developers in Thailand who built a block of condo's here in Phuket "Sold Out" mostly Thai's she tells me,

I went to Trang the other week it was busy not many farang go there,

Will be interesting as this week we will go to Nakorn Si Thammarat which for those who have not been there is quite a big city lets see the situation over there.

Im starting to build a picture in my mind what I think is going on I know we all joke that the government dont want farang here

9 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I am nearly positive a vaccine is on the way. Oxford University are not known for slapdash statements and they were making very positive noises about their vaccine when they started the trials a few months ago.

Can you imagine how much cash is going to be made from the vaccine,,,! every country in the world is going to be willing to pay for it to get the economies moving again.. It would be a fantastic thing if they were to release the vaccine formula free to all countries but that's obviously an unrealistic expectation.. 

Isn’t the vaccine race already over? Russia has one!

12 hours ago, aixois said:

I live in France. Nobody in France speaks of a 2nd wave right now.

Scientists say we are still on th 1st wave.

Really? Well in the UK press they are talking about France and Spain on second wave, very strange. Probably just politics. For sure France had a very rapid decline after the virus hit and now experiencing a very rapid increase,,, so to me that seems like a second wave.. You can see on worldometer.. Anyway, stay safe my friend.

5 hours ago, choff56 said:

Isn’t the vaccine race already over? Russia has one!

No they don't, they have an "experimental" drug that has received no human trials at all, typical Russian nonsense.. Whatever it is it is certainly not a vaccine that is ready, it is my understanding Oxford University are ahead as they have been on human trials for months now. 

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

No they don't, they have an "experimental" drug that has received no human trials at all, typical Russian nonsense.. Whatever it is it is certainly not a vaccine that is ready, it is my understanding Oxford University are ahead as they have been on human trials for months now. 

Russian vaccine has completed phase 1& 2 (small and medium group efficiency and safety trial) and was registered without blind testing on extended group (phase 3), which began in Russia only a month ago.

Their vaccine is based on Russian Ebola vaccine and is very similar to Oxford, the difference is they use two vectors (adenovirus), one for vaccination, another for re-vaccination, Oxford uses one for both shots.

From what I heard, some vaccine are ahead, eg.  Moderna, Oxford, Pfizer, Sinopharm, though Moderna has a logistic problem. Its mRNA molecule is stable only by low temperatures (below -20°C), so they have to find some safe stabilising adjuvant, otherwise the use of this vaccine will be limited.

Edited by natalibera

34 minutes ago, natalibera said:

Russian vaccine has completed phase 1& 2 (small and medium group efficiency and safety trial) and was registered without blind testing on extended group (phase 3), which began in Russia only a month ago.

Their vaccine is based on Russian Ebola vaccine and is very similar to Oxford, the difference is they use two vectors (adenovirus), one for vaccination, another for re-vaccination, Oxford uses one for both shots.

From what I heard, some vaccine are ahead, eg.  Moderna, Oxford, Pfizer, Sinopharm, though Moderna has a logistic problem. Its mRNA molecule is stable only by low temperatures (below -20°C), so they have to find some safe stabilising adjuvant, otherwise the use of this vaccine will be limited.

I really don't know about this, I am simply referring to what I have read in the press. Never heard of any other vaccine that is as close to releasing as Oxford University, It has been in production for weeks now in anticipation of it's formal launch,,, risky to do but they were very confident in the later stages of the trial that is was effective. From all I have read they will be first to market. Oxford are saying 5 to 6 weeks now so for someone to be quicker it must be available now right? So who is just about to launch? Personally don't care, as long as a vaccine is coming soon I couldn't give a stuff which lab launched first, but I am not trusting of silly statements from Russia. As for Moderna, not aware of this, but if the vaccine is not stable at -20 it isn't ready is it... dohhh! It's not a "logisitc" problem.. So in summary unless you can send me something that shows launch in less than 5 or 6 weeks from anywhere, Oxford will be the first.

16 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

If you post something inflammatory or derogatory on here, the mods will delete it and might warn you about it, they do a good job. Thais don't want your help or advice, I suspect. I doubt they will go to the lengths to find out who you are and put a marker on your immigration record because you voiced your opinion on a forum. Currently, many Thais are posting very nasty things under their real names on Facebook etc, I suspect that this will be more of a concern right now. 

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

So in summary unless you can send me something that shows launch in less than 5 or 6 weeks from anywhere, Oxford will be the first.

I am not a "supporter" of the Russian vaccine, I just tried to explain, it was tested on humans, but has not yet completed the full cycle of testing. Putin left out a “minor” detail ???? that the Gamaleya institute has actually registered their vaccine for phase 3, not for use. The vaccine itself works, but it's not tested on fragile persons and children and there was no placebo test, they are performing it just now. And, as far as I know, they won't be able to produce it for export in 2020.

I am from Milan, Italy takes part in development of Oxford vaccine, so we’ll get vaccinated with Oxford, not with Sputnik V, anyway.   

Edited by natalibera

25 minutes ago, natalibera said:

I am not a "supporter" of the Russian vaccine, I just tried to explain, it was tested on humans, but has not yet completed the full cycle of testing. Putin left out a “minor” detail ???? that the Gamaleya institute has actually registered their vaccine for phase 3, not for use. The vaccine itself works, but it's not tested on fragile persons and children and there was no placebo test, they are performing it just now. And, as far as I know, they won't be able to produce it for export in 2020.

I am from Milan, Italy takes part in development of Oxford vaccine, so we’ll get vaccinated with Oxford, not with Sputnik V, anyway.   

I believe that is true,, Italy is doing the large scale manufacturing of the vaccine. So Yes, I would imagine that Europe will be the first to get it. I don't know what will happen after that, I suggest it will become a money situation sad but very true...

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

If you post something inflammatory or derogatory on here, the mods will delete it and might warn you about it, they do a good job. Thais don't want your help or advice, I suspect. I doubt they will go to the lengths to find out who you are and put a marker on your immigration record because you voiced your opinion on a forum. Currently, many Thais are posting very nasty things under their real names on Facebook etc, I suspect that this will be more of a concern right now. 

That's why I wrote "we hope to teach them", knowing well that numerous Thais, albeit not all, are quite hopeless cases regarding this. Many, especially officials, are immune against any advice from a foreigner, switch of their brain and follow strictly their routines. When in dispute with a foreigner also Thais often loose common sense and create their own "reality", based on hearsay, dubious or unrelated internet sources, numbers, graphs. So, of course my post was at least partly meant sarcastic.