How to fight the rising dengue threat after heavy rains

webfact

How to fight the rising dengue threat after heavy rains

By THE NATION

800_2790cdb365ef603.jpeg?v=1598582016

People must beware of dengue fever, after rains in several regions of Thailand have spawned huge numbers of mosquitoes, Department of Disease Control (DDC) director-general Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai has warned.

“From January 1 to August 24, 47,738 cases of dengue fever have been reported with 32 deaths,” he said. “During the rainy season alone [June-August], we have had 29,814 new cases, or 62 per cent of total patients.”

“Dengue fever carried by mosquitoes can be commonly found in young people, with 26.22 per cent of patients in the 15-24 age group, 22.25 per cent aged 10-14 and 13.14 per cent aged 25-34,” he added. “Provinces that have seen most cases per 100,000 population are: Mae Hong Son, Rayong, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen.”

The DDC advised people to follow these instructions to reduce the risk of dengue fever:

▪︎ Clean up your home and never leave clothes lying around to reduce places where mosquitoes can live.

▪︎ Properly dispose of garbage in and around the house. Empty containers of food should be put in garbage bags to prevent mosquitoes laying eggs in rain water.

▪︎ Put a lid on all water containers. Change water in flower vases and plant pots every week.

▪︎ If you have high fever for more than two days and feel tired, nauseated, have a stomach ache and red spots on the skin, go and see a doctor for proper diagnosis. Avoid using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen or Brufen, as they could cause internal bleeding.

For more information, contact DDC Hotline at 1422.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393644

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-28

Not only Dengue what can get! Few friends have get chikungunya now and they have been really sick! In our soi they come put that smoke "poison" every bush and i think after was even more moscito! One what i really hate here is moscito, not seems to be nothing effect to my wife . Even my leg's bleeding coz i have scratch "bite's" when sleeping!

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

The DDC advised people to follow these instructions to reduce the risk of dengue fever:

▪︎ Clean up your home and never leave clothes lying around to reduce places where mosquitoes can live.

▪︎ Properly dispose of garbage in and around the house. Empty containers of food should be put in garbage bags to prevent mosquitoes laying eggs in rain water.

▪︎ Put a lid on all water containers. Change water in flower vases and plant pots every week.

▪︎ If you have high fever for more than two days and feel tired, nauseated, have a stomach ache and red spots on the skin, go and see a doctor for proper diagnosis. Avoid using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen or Brufen, as they could cause internal bleeding.

Seems to me that they are trying to educate people of the obvious. That is a clear sign that something is very wrong.

• Like 1

You can use bleach in stagnant water to kill larvae. Mosquitos eat plants so the more you have the more mosquitoes you get. The wife and I had dengue. I did not notice a thing until I got spotty whereas the wife spent 8 days in hospital: It turned her into a mosquitoe killing machine ???? plus we put new mosquito nets everywhere in the hose which solved the problem..

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Seems to me that they are trying to educate people of the obvious. That is a clear sign that something is very wrong.

Agree with that, something is very wrong that is being kept "quite" methinks ????

Singapore, which is half the population of Bangkok has had more than 20,000 cases of dengue so far this year!

• Confused 1

Now this is a real killer and according to Thailand with several national killers being well above Covid yet very little to nothing is done. I've had Dengue twice and the second time it hit me hard and took over a month to come close to getting over it. Then there is the other elephant in the room Malaria "another present from Thailand". What a killer Malaria is world wide. When I was in Belize they would smoke the camp once or twice a day every day with pesticide so until Thailand start doing this then it's a joke...

• Thanks 1

Oxitec Biotech has developed a genetically modified Aedes aegypti mosquitos that can't reproduce after mating.  Now releasing them in Florida.  That may be a good idea in Thailand.  I'm not particularly a GMO fan, but I've had Dengue and don't ever want it again.  I'd be happy if Aedes aegypti was eradicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Oh boy! how many times have I heard this myth down through the years. Spraying diesel fumes around would be a very definite no no!

The fog is made up from a synthetic pyrethroid (an insecticide) that is mixed with water vapour and sprayed into the bushes were many mosquitoes rest up during the day. It has passed many safety checks throughout its long history. I remember it being used in Singapore in the 1960s.

They can use water or diesel. In both cases insecticide is added. Diesel is not allowed anymore in some countries but has the advantage that it sticks better to surfaces but can because of the same reason damage some surfaces. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CHAZ1 said:

All good advice but will it be heeded?

so I will repeat it - as a precaution:

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Good advice, for every Thai woman, child and man - and of course for every woman, child and man from foreign countries.

Take care!

Edited by Yom

10 hours ago, Pierre888 said:

There are many positive testimonials from people who experienced dengue fever (see in the article) and since it is a safe treatment, it is worth a try.

An excerpt from a study:

"From the various reports published in scientific literature, it appears that C. papaya L. leaf extract does have beneficial properties in dengue. It has been shown to bring about a rapid increase in platelet count. This could be possibly attributed to its membrane-stabilizing property. The flavonoids and other phenols present in the extract have been suggested to provide the beneficial effects. One study found that the leaves of papaya plant are rich in several minerals. The researchers suggested that these minerals may balance the mineral deficiency caused by the virus and strengthen the immune cells against it.[20]"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4071726/

3 hours ago, faraday said:

That one article from 6 years ago is hardly a confirmation. It's at most a study of how likely papaya could be worth more investigation. This is part of their conclusion:

However, the picture is not entirely clear. First of all, there are very few cases reported in literature. Many of the reports have presumed that the patients suffer from dengue due to the presence of thrombocytopenia and have not confirmed the diagnosis. This may have been due to the high cost of the test, which is often unaffordable to people in the underdeveloped and developing countries, where most of these studies were conducted. Therefore, it cannot be proved based on these case reports that the extract is conclusively effective in dengue. It is possible that the extract may be beneficial in other cases of thrombocytopenia as well. Thus, it is first important to diagnose the cases correctly and prove beyond doubt that the patient indeed suffers from dengue infection.

When patients aren't diagnosed properly it's difficult to conclude that papaya might have a positive effect.

The very last sentence hits the nail on the head:

Large scale randomized clinical trials in dengue-confirmed patients is necessary to establish their usefulness.

As long as that's not the case the papaya idea is just that, an idea at most. The conclusion is that there is simply no evidence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

That one article from 6 years ago is hardly a confirmation. It's at most a study of how likely papaya could be worth more investigation. This is part of their conclusion:

When patients aren't diagnosed properly it's difficult to conclude that papaya might have a positive effect.

The very last sentence hits the nail on the head:

As long as that's not the case the papaya idea is just that, an idea at most. The conclusion is that there is simply no evidence.

Since there are no other effective treatments, it is safe to try.

And then some of the studies carried out do not apply the explained method of taking only the juice of a fresh, uncooked and crushed papaya leaf.

Personally, I have more confidence in the many positive testimonials than in studies sometimes done by scientists who have an interest in not promoting natural methods because labs want to promote new vaccines.

Just look at what happened with the coronavirus, and how the Lancet lost all credibility by publishing a false study to discredit chloroquine because labs want to put forward a very expensive but ineffective treatment (remdesivir) and/or a vaccine.

• Thanks 1

Oh boy! how many times have I heard this myth down through the years. Spraying diesel fumes around would be a very definite no no!

The method of using diesel was used up until around 2013. After that it was fazed out. I believe that diesel is still being used here in Thailand.

The diesel-based fogging disturbed the upper respiratory system of human beings

Edited by IvorBiggun2

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The new product eliminates use of diesel and thereby reduces pollution

A nasty stench of smoke and burning eyes are associated with fogging for controlling mosquito-breeding outside our homes. German company Bayer’s new product, a water-based insecticide, eliminates the use of oil-based diluents such as diesel and helps reduce pollution caused by fogging.

Edited by IvorBiggun2