Change From Tourist To Non-immigrant Status: Urgent Advice Needed

My niece, a Cambodian national, is a full-time student at Mahidol. She was on a student visa but failed to get a re-entry permit when she went back home for the New Year and only realized it when it was time to return, there wasn't time to get the necessary letters etc from the school so she got a tourist visa instead. Now her tourist visa expires this Sunday, she's at the school, got the letters from the University and plans to go to immigration this Friday to seek a change to non-imm status and extension of stay.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be OK, or will she face unexpected problems (like being told to go back to Cambodia and apply from there)? As it is only days before her tourist visa expires there's not much time if anything goes wrong. She is in a very demanding program and struggling to keep up so taking time off to go back to Cambodia and straighten out her visa is not a good option.

Other approach would be to extend her tourist visa. She's only been here a month but that's all Cambodians get stamped in for. From experience with other Cambodians I expect she would easily get an extension but it would be for only another month and the school term doesn't end till June. I am not sure they would allow a second extension for a third month....

Appreciate any info/advice before we go to immigration tomorrow, don't want to get blind-sided. Thanks!

Hello, I have a 30-day entry stamp and I am applying for a Non-B without getting out of Thailand. The Immigration officer said that as long as I povide the complete requirements, then I can get my Non-B here..

Maybe this info can help you. Please check www.immigration.gov.th

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-:o: FOR STUDYING IN THAILAND

1. In case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
  2. Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)
    Application for visa. (TM.87)
  3. Copy of passport entries.
  4. 4 X 6 cm. Photograph.
  5. Application fee of 2,000 baht.
  6. In a government school or university
    In the university
    • A letter from the director of university , requesting visa or visa status alteration.
    In the school
    • A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or, a letter from the governor, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.
  7. In a private school or university
    In the university
    • A letter from the rector of university , requesting visa or visa status alteration.
    In the school
    • A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or, a letter from the governor of province, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.
    In the international school
    • A letter from the authorized principal or the manager of the International school.
    And
    • A Certified copy of the registration papers of the educational institution. (Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)
    • A Certified copy of the license of the school or university administrator(Certified by authority signature and institute’s seal or stamp.)

Remarks

1. The Applicant must sign every page of application.
  2. Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 , 02-287-4948 for details.