What are my options? ED-Visa currently on amnesty

Good questions. I'm also interested in knowledge on this 'medical certificate' that may suggest an extension beyond 30 days if needed i.e. if the doctor state xx disease/condition will not improve enough to be fit for travel/flight before 45 days say?
Get an easy paper from your local clinic or opt for sligher more trustworthy 3-4* private hospital certificate which I'm sure will only entail what you propose the doctor write on it in return for his 3-600B professional fee ????

How to prove no flight available back home before 26sep?

• Like 1

Were you getting 90 day extensions before your last one was due. If yes that means it is a informal school. The max stay for attending that type of school is one year from the day you entered using a non-ed visa.

If you could enroll in a formal school (university type of studies) you might be able to apply for another extension.

You mentioned a 90 day visa change. That can only be done if you entered the country visa exempt or a on a tourist visa.

Why are you saying you cannot get a letter from the embassy. Many were stating they would not do them before but some have already changed and are now issuing them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, worldfun said:

Good questions. I'm also interested in knowledge on this 'medical certificate' that may suggest an extension beyond 30 days if needed i.e. if the doctor state xx disease/condition will not improve enough to be fit for travel/flight before 45 days say?
Get an easy paper from your local clinic or opt for sligher more trustworthy 3-4* private hospital certificate which I'm sure will only entail what you propose the doctor write on it in return for his 3-600B professional fee ????

I highly doubt that one can get "an easy paper from trustworthy 3-4* private hospital certificate which I'm sure will only entail what you propose the doctor write on it in return for his 3-600B professional fee". Local clinic as you mentioned, perhaps possible. But quality 3/4 star hospitals not easy.

• Like 1

I'm in the same situation. Chiang Mai university told me I could get a new one year visa without leaving the country. The private school I asked said they couldn't at the moment but were expecting news on a policy change very soon.

Both said the extension will cost 5900 baht every 3 months, up from the usual 1900 baht. I don't understand why the extension costs so much, the initial visa, yes, but the extensions hike seems like a rip off. Total cost to immigration is 20,000 baht.

Normally I pay $80 in Vietnam for the ed visa plus all the travelling costs etc and still have to pay for the extensions, so I guess it's not too bad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Same situation, got now a 1 year extension based on volunteer.

Mind if i ask how much it cost and do you actually have to do any volunteering?

I tried to get a volunteer visa teaching without using an agent as I know several teachers here. One had a vacancy but said her boss wasn't very helpful and probably would provide the paperwork. I don't think it's even possible anymore without an agent, so gave up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marcous said:

Mind if i ask how much it cost and do you actually have to do any volunteering?

Yesterday friend of mine attended agent in Pattaya for volunteering visa 12 month. He paid 49k. No volunteering required.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yesterday friend of mine attended agent in Pattaya for volunteering visa 12 month. He paid 49k. No volunteering required.

That's rather reasonable. Assuming a multiple/re-entry permit has to be obtained separately.

And the passport very likely goes on a hike for a substantial period of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyingThai said:

That's rather reasonable. Assuming a multiple/re-entry permit has to be obtained separately.

And the passport very likely goes on a hike for a substantial period of time.

I don't know if reentry included. 

Yes would be a worry to me if my pp was on "holiday" for too long.

I will give report next time talk to him.

I have bit more empathy now for some folk stuck here, with very few options.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Same situation, got now a 1 year extension based on volunteer.

To be clear, you had an education visa and they issued an extension based on volunteering for that? That's interesting in the sense that some assume(d) you'd need a Non-O visa first.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, worldfun said:

What countries except maybe Australia won't accept their own citizens to come back via air? You can leave almost any time you want on several flights from several airlines if you have to. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What countries except maybe Australia won't accept their own citizens to come back via air?

More than you think. Many have restrictions like Thailand does and there are no repatriation flights for them from here and connections with them are very limited.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Were you getting 90 day extensions before your last one was due. If yes that means it is a informal school. The max stay for attending that type of school is one year from the day you entered using a non-ed visa.

If you could enroll in a formal school (university type of studies) you might be able to apply for another extension.

You mentioned a 90 day visa change. That can only be done if you entered the country visa exempt or a on a tourist visa.

Why are you saying you cannot get a letter from the embassy. Many were stating they would not do them before but some have already changed and are now issuing them.

It is indeed an informal school. 

Regarding the letter from the embassy, last time I asked they would not do it but if some have changed then I will ask again! 

9 hours ago, Marcous said:

I'm in the same situation. Chiang Mai university told me I could get a new one year visa without leaving the country. The private school I asked said they couldn't at the moment but were expecting news on a policy change very soon.

Both said the extension will cost 5900 baht every 3 months, up from the usual 1900 baht. I don't understand why the extension costs so much, the initial visa, yes, but the extensions hike seems like a rip off. Total cost to immigration is 20,000 baht.

Normally I pay $80 in Vietnam for the ed visa plus all the travelling costs etc and still have to pay for the extensions, so I guess it's not too bad.

Does Chiang Mai University easily accept new students at the moment and what kind of course do you have to enroll to? 

3 hours ago, mikeyjj said:

volunteer Visa is the way to go you can get a 1 year extension on your ed visa for around 40k just shop about abit and don’t go with the first agent you find 

How big is the risk of getting caught with these? Would not want to be expelled from Thailand for years.

How are you guys finding these agents? Just searching up online and getting some 'bribery' suggestions? I have little experience with this sort of thing as my school took care of it before. 

2 hours ago, pat0948 said:

5 hours ago, mikeyjj said:

volunteer Visa is the way to go you can get a 1 year extension on your ed visa for around 40k just shop about abit and don’t go with the first agent you find 

How big is the risk of getting caught with these? Would not want to be expelled from Thailand for years.

The risk is very low, but not quite zero.

2 hours ago, pat0948 said:

How are you guys finding these agents? Just searching up online and getting some 'bribery' suggestions? I have little experience with this sort of thing as my school took care of it before. 

The best way is personal recommendation. It is easier to find reliable agents in some areas than others. Where are you currently?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pat0948 said:

Does Chiang Mai University easily accept new students at the moment and what kind of course do you have to enroll to? 

Yes they do, only 7 spaces left though as of mid last week. The course was Thai langauge. It costs 35,000b plus the extension fees, 6 hours of class per week and you must attend 80% IIRC. The deadline is September 10th.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

The risk is very low, but not quite zero.

The best way is personal recommendation. It is easier to find reliable agents in some areas than others. Where are you currently?

Currently staying in Bangkok. 

8 hours ago, Marcous said:

Yes they do, only 7 spaces left though as of mid last week. The course was Thai langauge. It costs 35,000b plus the extension fees, 6 hours of class per week and you must attend 80% IIRC. The deadline is September 10th.

Ok sounds good. Will try to find something similar in Bangkok as CM is not an option for me. How long is the course you are doing? 3 months? 

I was forwarded a conversation with a Visa agent in BKK offering a 15 month ED Visa for some school in Nan Province at a "discounted price" of 59,000 Baht plus 10k for Re-Entry. And his passport would be gone for 4 weeks. LOL!

21 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

I was forwarded a conversation with a Visa agent in BKK offering a 15 month ED Visa for some school in Nan Province at a "discounted price" of 59,000 Baht plus 10k for Re-Entry. And his passport would be gone for 4 weeks. LOL!

If 15 Months, sounds like a full 1-year extension through a "formal school" (vs language-school), after the initial 90-Day "change of visa type" Non-Ed stamp.  It might also involve time to get the Ministry of Ed to sign-off before the extension.  

Overall, close in cost to an "in-country" Non-B for a legit-job, for which you already have a work-permit, via Bangkok 'law firm'.