Industry Ministry wants electric vehicle roadmap

Industry Ministry wants electric vehicle roadmap

supawadee wangsri

89760f6b4facefdfb7b29cf975b4e95c_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - From now on, the Thai automotive industry will move towards advancing technology driven by electricity. The Ministry of Industry aims to increase electric car production to 30 percent of the total car production over 10 years and will launch measures to encourage people to exchange their old cars for new electric vehicles.

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit told the “New Generation of Automotives” seminar this week, about the Thai electric vehicle industry’s development plan. The short-term goal is to produce more than 60,000-110,000 government vehicles, public buses, electric taxi motorcycles and other personal vehicles. The medium-term goal is to produce about 300,000 ECO electric vehicles (EVs) and Smart City buses. The immediate goal is to produce 750,000 EVs.

The Ministry of Industry will accelerate an improvement in the quality of electric vehicles and study guidelines for continual industry development in order to promote the recycling of materials according to the concept of a circular economy, to achieve a systematic vehicle management mechanism.

The Ministry of Industry will offer tax incentives for individuals and companies to exchange their old cars for new cars or electric vehicles. The scheme will apply to used cars 15 years old or older and will boost sales of new cars and e-vehicles and reduce pollution. The scheme is being discussed by the Ministry of Industry, private agencies and related agencies.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-08-30

Need to go back to ensuring that clean energy is being used to charge EV's first before 

anything. If lignite or coal fired being used you are making the problem worse (transfer loss)

& of course just moving the pollution from one place to another.

Charging stations are pretty well non existent (the most I have seen is at my golf club.

For short haul traffic ie; intercity buses & taxis there is a great future .

To drive to Phuket from Bangkok forget it, would add 5 hours to my trip (recharging time)

Now, old batteries, literally millions of used batteries are going to be "rubbish in 6 years time 

The only country that I have seen seriously tackling this challenge is India.

They are a lot harder to dispose of/recycle than the traditonal wet cell battery

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

From now on, the Thai automotive industry will move towards advancing technology driven by electricity. The Ministry of Industry aims to increase electric car production to 30 percent of the total car production over 10 years and will launch measures to encourage people to exchange their old cars for new electric vehicles.

Thailand can do nothing... except beg the Japanese to help by shifting production.

It's a puppet on another string.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Need to go back to ensuring that clean energy is being used to charge EV's first before 

anything. If lignite or coal fired being used you are making the problem worse (transfer loss)

& of course just moving the pollution from one place to another.

Charging stations are pretty well non existent (the most I have seen is at my golf club.

For short haul traffic ie; intercity buses & taxis there is a great future .

To drive to Phuket from Bangkok forget it, would add 5 hours to my trip (recharging time)

Now, old batteries, literally millions of used batteries are going to be "rubbish in 6 years time 

The only country that I have seen seriously tackling this challenge is India.

They are a lot harder to dispose of/recycle than the traditonal wet cell battery

Clean Energy you can't talk about that now .

We all know that this is as Dirty as can be.

They Only want to talk about the vehicles They are Clean Yes?

No, they using the More Dirty energy than Normal Fuel And the Dirty Banks of Batteries .

But they say Electric Vehicles are Clean. Believe it or Not!

Again, it is proven that modern diesel engines are cleaner than petrol engines, and even EV, think about polution to make batteries, particulate matter caused by the greater weight of the vehicle, generating and distrubuting from the electricity, etc, etc, etc.

And all that for a third world country like Thailand.

Ridiculous.

You guys are being fed propaganda straight from big oil about EV technology. So many myths being perpetuated. 

Is true Thailand sources most of its energy from Natural gas. Of course green energy would be better. However, the process to generate energy in a power plant is far more efficient than your typical ICE found in your car.

You also forget about all the steps before you fill up. Think drilling, refining, transport. Majority of rare earth materials (like cobalt) are used to refine oil. Modern battery tech will stop using it completely.

Anyhow there are people far more intelligent than you and I and they have already studied it in depth. See more here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238118-electric-cars-really-are-a-greener-option-than-fossil-fuel-vehicles/

EV batteries can be both recycled and repurposed. 

The next gen battery tech will have a million km lifespan, so throwing them away is not something to think about for a long long time. (Name one engine that has a million km warranty?)

Recharge speed tech available right now is up to 350kw. We are talking 24km per minute. Check and verify for yourself Tesla technology. 20% to 80% will take no longer than a usual pit stop on a long journey and won’t inconvenience anyone. Vast majority of people only make these longer inter provincial trips a few times a year at most anyhow.

One thing to note is that Thailand makes a significant amount of money from ICE auto parts. I believe they will drag their feet to adopting EV tech because of this.

Various countries in Europe are banning the sale and use of petrol/diesel cars with the next few years. 

Edited by madhav