If you had to leave the Land of Smiles, what would you miss?

Thailand Explore

409961880_Screenshot_2020-09-01koh-samuijpg(WEBP700400).png.fe3687e354424abb1a149bc1f38de57e.png

A quick glance on Thaivisa.com and I can see what the big debates are among the expats living in Thailand, and one of the most popular at the moment caught my eye. A forum user asked what others would miss if they had to leave Thailand. We all from time to time have a moan about living here, but pushed into a corner on the subject most of us could never entertain the thought of leaving. Although, for the record, I could certainly see my family and I leaving one day.

Anyway besides the fairly obvious ‘women’ comments I could see as a scrolled through the thread, some of the comments were actually very true and interesting.

You had some predictable ones from hot weather, cheap Thai food and accommodation, but then you had some gems.

Plenty to miss in the land of smiles

What about the low priced cinemas for starters. I think it costs around 150 baht to go and watch a movie in Thailand, a fraction of the price you would pay in your domestic country.

Cheap public transport, which is spot on. When the meter is actually used in the taxis or you just use Grab taxi it’s peanuts. The baht buses get you from A to B for around 10 baht is amazing value. I would also add that Thailand has an excellent road network throughout the country – Although I would certainly not miss the dangerous driving here.

To read the rest of this blog by Dan about Thailand visit https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/06/27/if-you-had-to-leave-the-land-of-smiles-what-would-you-miss/

I enjoy the walk from Chong Nonsi BTS station to the office where i work. all the street food, the smells, noise etc. I love that people smile at me and say good morning.The lady who sells me fruit gives me freebies and makes a little conversation.

it's a pleasant start to the day.

Should I ever return to the NW of England which is mostly populated by miserable, grim people, I would miss that, being served with a smile. 

• Like 2

As much as we here, on these pages, often take the mickey and poke fun and roll our eyes in disapproval as to how silly this country can be moan and groan about unfairness treatments o foreigners there's still some kind of magic in this land that keep drawing us and keeping us in...TIT...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

As much as we here, on these pages, often take the mickey and poke fun and roll our eyes in disapproval as to how silly this country can be moan and groan about unfairness treatments o foreigners there's still some kind of magic in this land that keep drawing us and keeping us in...TIT...

Even without magic it's better, IMO, that where we used to call home. IMO western countries are barking now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No problem. There is always an option to download the music to an USB and leave.

Concerts, you can't download them we have hundreds of discs in our house but neither of us play any, only in the car. It's the concerts that would be missed but not many now of course.

Home is anywhere you wish to lay your head, and of course what you make of it with what's at hand.  If you wish you had this, and then that, best to never have left where you were if you wish to compare the two.  Me I would miss the wonderful view from my penthouse apartment and the ability to enjoy the lights with a nice glass of French wine, just relaxing and listening music, which of course is easily downloaded or accessible.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Concerts, you can't download them we have hundreds of discs in our house but neither of us play any, only in the car. It's the concerts that would be missed but not many now of course.

So, in other words. You just popped in to say what you don´t miss? Did you ever read the headline?

• Like 2

The cheap rent, utilities, food. Thai people, of course, but that's a given. Also how they manage to integrate the various cultures, like I see muslim women at the local market, nobody cares. Easy women drew me here, but it's not what keeps me here, you get over that kind of stuff in the first year. Fulfilled most of my fantasies, which mostly involved two women and me. Now I'm here for the long haul. If I ever go home I'm gonna be a stranger in a strange land.

• Like 2

I'd miss having random conversations with strangers and being able to practice Thai language on a daily basis, overcoming the language barrier really did wonders for my shyness.

I'd miss durian, and the countless markets. I'd miss the amazing sushi place near my home which would be 6x more expensive in my homecountry for that level of quality. 

I'd miss the convenience of being able to find a boxing gym in every part of every semi big city.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 1