My experience buying land with lawyers assistance

They never put amount on land office papers what you actualy pay for it! You can even go to watch land deals what have made before in that area. And amount's are really small! What is my knowledge, that is not unleagal.

But if somebody know better let us know.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Who paid the and tax ? Did you go half each ?

No way - it’s not my tax to pay, I didn’t receive the money. Lol.

With some deals that didn’t happen, I did offer to pay the transfer to fee as a sweetener. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

We have purchased plenty of farmland and as long as there is a chanote, no problems... don't need a lawyer - a sane seller is good but my wife would probably have backed out after the first bits of insanity... 

Yeah, sure .. there are plenty of posts here repeating this. I would have been quite happy to proceed without a lawyer, but being 1500km away, I paid the lawyer 5K to help me out before we made the trek from the Deep South. He did all the legwork before I laid out for flights.

I don’t think there is a right way or a wrong way, just saying, up to the last 5 mins the lawyer was of little use, then when she suddenly flipped at the last gate, he earned his money and I’m glad I did use him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yeah, sure .. there are plenty of posts here repeating this. I would have been quite happy to proceed without a lawyer, but being 1500km away, I paid the lawyer 5K to help me out before we made the trek from the Deep South. He did all the legwork before I laid out for flights.

I don’t think there is a right way or a wrong way, just saying, up to the last 5 mins the lawyer was of little use, then when she suddenly flipped at the last gate, he earned his money and I’m glad I did use him.

5k for help, that is cheap

I once ask several offices, to go to land department to get a copy of a chanote

7500 baht + TAX (and up)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We were negotiating with an old women, not crazy like you described, and the price kept changing. We walked away and the old woman still has not sold the land 4 years later. The SIL was not happy as she was on commission.

We have been plagued by “agents” and locals searching for their commission all the way along, they bring nothing to the table.

i am suppressed at the lack of negotiation, people would rather walk away than negotiate - like this nutter wouldn’t drop 10K at the beginning even tho I offered to jump on the next plane and pay her, and then 2 weeks later agreed. Some land in the south was waaay overpriced. 1M/ngaan which no one in their right mind would pay.  It seems a lot of people don’t care if they sell or not, which is the best way, but guess.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

We have been plagued by “agents” and locals searching for their commission all the way along, they bring nothing to the table.

i am suppressed at the lack of negotiation, people would rather walk away than negotiate - like this nutter wouldn’t drop 10K at the beginning even tho I offered to jump on the next plane and pay her, and then 2 weeks later agreed. Some land in the south was waaay overpriced. 1M/ngaan which no one in their right mind would pay.  It seems a lot of people don’t care if they sell or not, which is the best way, but guess.

Did you ever specify the size of the land?

I couldn't find it.

Not bad legal fees, paid 150k when buying our most recent abode to the lawyer, but then again he is a professional.... 

One thing of note, is a couple of years ago, we were looking to buy some land to put a industrial complex on for my company, we were shown some land by the wife of a 'friend' (then) anyway, we liked it, agreed price, on the day of transfer the wife (his wife) at the land office, informed me not to proceed, i asked why, she said there's an outstanding debt on it (loan shark), weird she did not tell us before lol.

Her husband then started rumour mongering, and i reached out to him and asked why, and informed him what his wife said just as we were about to hand over the wedge at the land office.

Either he was aware (longtime expat) and ok with such, whilst his wife recognised that our legal would go after her for being complicit in such, or he was in the shade.

At that point anyway, we stopped associating with them (we'd spend about 600k in their enterprise yearly), and naturally stepped away from that deal.

It was an eye opener, at how corrupt and money driven some thai's and for that matter expats are.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

ok - so good then...

enjoy your time in Dixie...