From amnesty to 60-day wife extension in Bangkok

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for several months in order to gain some insight into my options for staying beyond the end of the amnesty. 

My understanding is that I can apply for the 60-day extension anytime before Sep 26 although my intention is to do so around the middle of the month, roughly between Sep 15 and 20.

Just a few details to help you guys - I'm on a non-O multi, obtained in Savannakhet, Laos in March 2020 shortly before the borders closed. Visa is valid until March 2021. Entry stamp expired in June. Now on amnesty extension. 

60-day extension has NOT yet been used.

I'm a bit confused about the Sep 26 stamp mentioned by the US embassy - does this mean I'd have to go in before Sep 11 now? Or is that only for conversions from other visa types?

As I'm on a non-O already, I suspect this doesn't apply to me - but would like some clarification in case wife needs to take time off work before originally anticipated.

My intention is to seek a 1-year extension from the 60-day one, using the embassy letter, 40,000 Baht transferred from abroad into Thai bank account for 2 months income route. I've already been meeting this requirement for several months now. 

Finally is it still Chaeng Wattana or Muang Thong Thani? Are there many applicants at the moment? 

• Like 1

I am very interested to hear of this is really possible (that 60 day extension).

Somewhere else on this forum I read that they don't do 30 day extensions anymore for people on tourist visa using the amnesty. While everyone thought that it would be possible if the extension wasn't used yet.

I am in a similar situation, expired 3 month visa for visiting child, now using the amnesty. I was thinking about getting an extension for 2 months after sept 26. But have doubts if this is still possible now.

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 1

First, what is certain ...

If you will be granted a 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse, when you apply will not matter as long as it is before September 26th. If granted, the extension will give a new permission to stay expired date of November 25th 2020.

Now, the uncertainties ...

There is no consistency between immigration offices over whether the extension will be granted. We have seen:

• 60-day extensions provided to everyone with a Thai spouse who was legally in Thailand as of March 26th 2020;
  • 60-day extensions provided to those who entered on Non O visas, but denied to those on tourist entries;
  • 60-day extensions only given to those with multiple entry Non O visas where the visa expiry date is prior to the date of applying for the extension [the most ridiculous condition]; and
  • refusal to provide 60-day extensions to anyone who is currently on the "amnesty extension".

All you can do is try and see what happens.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I'm a bit confused about the Sep 26 stamp mentioned by the US embassy - does this mean I'd have to go in before Sep 11 now? Or is that only for conversions from other visa types?

That is mostly to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration that requires 15 days remaining on your permit to stay. 

Not sure it would help to get the 60 day extension but you can request the letter from the embassy by completing this form and they will email it you (print in color). https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=dFDPZv5a0UimkaErISH0S3NVAXsxQaZEpst3lGhanZ5UMTZNNE5TUDM3SEhHOFhHV0MzOEk5UVlaWS4u

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you will be granted a 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse, when you apply will not matter as long as it is before September 26th. If granted, the extension will give a new permission to stay expired date of November 25th 2020.

Even this is nor certain, some IOs seem to be dating things from day of application (I know they are wrong to do that)

50 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Even this is nor certain, some IOs seem to be dating things from day of application (I know they are wrong to do that)

That should now be in the past. I have not heard of that happening in the last few days.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is mostly to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration that requires 15 days remaining on your permit to stay. 

Not sure it would help to get the 60 day extension but you can request the letter from the embassy by completing this form and they will email it you (print in color). https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=dFDPZv5a0UimkaErISH0S3NVAXsxQaZEpst3lGhanZ5UMTZNNE5TUDM3SEhHOFhHV0MzOEk5UVlaWS4u

OK, but that's only for US citizens, which I am not.

How about other nationalities? Is this needed? 

And what is the word on 60-day extensions at Chaeng Wattana? Previously, it seemed to be OK to get one if your entry stamp has expired as long as you're still within the amnesty. I am confused and worried that there appears to be no consistency here, and a lack of recent reports from Bangkok. 

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Now, the uncertainties ...

There is no consistency between immigration offices over whether the extension will be granted. We have seen:

• 60-day extensions provided to everyone with a Thai spouse who was legally in Thailand as of March 26th 2020;
  • 60-day extensions provided to those who entered on Non O visas, but denied to those on tourist entries;
  • 60-day extensions only given to those with multiple entry Non O visas where the visa expiry date is prior to the date of applying for the extension [the most ridiculous condition]; and
  • refusal to provide 60-day extensions to anyone who is currently on the "amnesty extension".

All you can do is try and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought it was the other way round - they want your visa expiration to be AFTER the date of application, which in my case is easily met as I got mine shortly before the borders closed.