UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

htyu.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey is seen outside Downing Street, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in London, Britain March 17, 2020. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - A British minister said she was surprised by plans for another Scottish independence referendum given the budget deficit in the country and the economic challenges facing the whole of the United Kingdom after the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’m just somewhat surprised,” Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey told BBC television on Wednesday.

“Last week we saw that Scotland has a record deficit, the union bonus is about 2,000 pounds ($2,673) per person in Scotland. I really struggle to understand why this is the right time to be thinking about an independence referendum.”

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon on Tuesday pledged to publish draft legislation for a new independence referendum, including the question and timing of the vote, before the country’s parliamentary election next year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-02

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Is the claim of a 2000 pound union bonus correct?

I think she is referring to the Barnett formula that Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland receive  I’m led to believe that Scotland get in the region of £2,000+ for each person each year.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Who will the SNP blame when they have finally rid themselves of the so loathsome English, nationalists need someone to hate, that's how they function. 

If you vote other than a nationalist you are branded scum or a traitor, that is not the way a modern fully functional society should work. 

13 U turns and counting, obviously a fully functional society.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

While I think it is a shame, I can't blame Scotland for wanting to extricate itself from Boris and his brexiteers. They have shown themselves to be lacking in vision when it comes to moving forward and creating a better UK. 

This Indy2 stuff started right after the Brexit vote, way before Boris was PM, which is only just over a year now. 

• Like 1