Biden looks to turn campaign focus to pandemic as Trump dwells on protests

webfact

Biden looks to turn campaign focus to pandemic as Trump dwells on protests

By Jarrett Renshaw and James Oliphant

2020-09-02T095136Z_1_LYNXMPEG810RW_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Democratic presidential nominee and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks about safety in America during a campaign appearance in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. August 31, 2020. REUTERS/Alan Freed/File Photo

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - Democratic nominee Joe Biden looked to shift the focus of the U.S. presidential race back to the coronavirus and President Donald Trump’s handling of the pandemic during a campaign event on Wednesday on safely reopening the country’s schools.

The health crisis, in which more than 184,000 Americans have died, has been overshadowed in recent days by civil unrest in Portland, Oregon, and Kenosha, Wisconsin, where a white policeman shot Jacob Blake, a Black man, in the back last week, triggering protests.

Biden's event was part of his campaign's effort to make the Nov. 3 election in part a referendum on the Trump administration's response to the outbreak and came as millions of students are starting a new school year either virtually or under restrictive conditions.

"If President Trump and his administration had done their jobs early on in this crisis, American schools would be open. And they’d be open safely," Biden said after receiving a briefing from health experts in Wilmington, Delaware.

Biden and his Republican opponent have offered dueling arguments over which candidate can keep the country safe.

Each has accused the other of fostering the sometimes violent protests over racial injustice and police brutality that have rocked the nation for months after the May 25 death of George Floyd, a Black man, in Minneapolis police custody.

Trump, who visited Kenosha on Tuesday, has sought to leverage the volatile climate surrounding the protests to his political benefit, casting himself as a "law-and-order" president holding the line against chaos.

A new Reuters/Ipsos poll shows his approach has yet to boost his national standing. The poll released on Wednesday showed that most Americans do not see crime as a major problem confronting the nation and a majority remain sympathetic to anti-racism protests.

By contrast, 78% of Americans said they remain "very" or "somewhat" concerned about the pandemic. The poll showed that 47% of registered voters support Biden compared with 40% who said they will vote for Trump.

Biden plans to travel to Kenosha on Thursday, where he will hold a community meeting, his campaign said.

Trump on Wednesday traveled to North Carolina, a state which, like Wisconsin, is an election battleground. In remarks to supporters in Wilmington upon landing, he argued that the country was "rounding the turn" concerning the pandemic and stuck to his law-and-order theme.

“They're agitators," he said of protesters. "They're losers and rioters. And then you hear the Democrats, they never say anything bad about them."

Biden earlier this week called for rioters and looters to be prosecuted.

RELIEF FOR SCHOOLS

Reopening schools amid the pandemic has been a top priority for Trump, who has argued it was necessary to boost the economy and give relief to working parents. His campaign on Wednesday criticized Biden for being overly cautious on the matter.

"(Biden) always casts things as an either-or situation. Either we can open up or we can be safe," Trump spokesman Tim Murtaugh said. "The president disagrees with that. It can be both. For the economy and schools, we can both be open and be safe.”

At his event, Biden called on Trump to bring congressional leaders together to negotiate a new aid package to assist state and local governments, which have struggled to provide services for students amid an economic downturn due to coronavirus lockdowns. Congress has been in an impasse over another round of virus-related funding.

"Get off Twitter and start talking to congressional leaders of both parties," Biden said.

Earlier in the day, Biden's team announced that his campaign and the Democratic National Committee had raised $364.5 million in August, shattering the record for the most money raised in a single month during a presidential campaign. The Trump campaign has yet to release its figures for the month.

(Reporting by Jarrett Renshaw in Wilmington, Del. and James Oliphant in Washington; Additional reporting by Michael Martina in Detroit and Jeff Mason in Wilmington, N.C.; Editing by Colleen Jenkins, Aurora Ellis and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-03

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 04.40.10.png

56% is not "75%."

From the first sentence of the article...Some 56% of Republicans believe that QAnon, a far-right conspiracy theory, is mostly or partly true, according to a new Daily Kos/Civiqs poll released Wednesday

Then there is the issue of this being a Daily Kos poll...hardly an unbiased source...but without delving deeper into their poll methodology and the actual questions asked, here's what they found.

One in three Republicans (33%) say they believe the QAnon theory about a conspiracy among deep-state elites is “mostly true,” and another 23% say “some parts” are true. 

So now we see that only 33% believe Q-Anon is mostly true and 23% say some of it is true...again neither of which is 75%, but if you add these differing opinions together Daily Kos says 56% believe in the Q-Anon theory. What parts of the theory these different groups believe isn't stated in the article.

So any way you slice it, the post is false and misleading.

PS: I see the post your are trying to support with this article has already been removed as false and misleading...but I give you points for effort.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1

Keep trying Joe...it only took you 50 years climbing the political greasy poll to have a shot at the presidency, after failing twice, to do what Donald Trump accomplished in a year and only had to do once!

President Trump and Joseph Biden clashed on Wednesday in dueling remarks and with new advertisements about public safety and the outbursts of violence in some American cities, as the presidential campaign entered an aggressive new phase with the parties tussling over both the issues and the electoral map they are being fought on.

Biden and Trump Unveil Dueling Law-and-Order Ads https://nyti.ms/3jJPlHb

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

He still lead, right? Other battle ground states are looking good for Biden too.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-poll-found-joe-001408887.html

I think I've aired this before the 2016 elections, but polls tend to "miss" certain segments. People who are into QAnon stuff, for example, are bad "material" for pollsters to work with. People supporting candidates, parties or goals which are seen as "unacceptable" or less desirable, similarly pose issues for conducting polls. I think that in recent years, there's more and more of that - going hand in hand with the rise of populist leaders worldwide.

So, IMO (and I hope I'm wrong), better to cut a chunk of the official poll numbers to get a better feel for the upcoming results. I don't pretend to be able accurately do this without the actual data, and/or being very involved in the actual polling process. As a guesstimate/rule of thumb, though, maybe something like the margin of error for a given poll. In order to be on the safe side, a wider gap is needed.

Add to the mix last minute surprises, whatever they might be (a few in 2016) and things could be even more fluid than that.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think I've aired this before the 2016 elections, but polls tend to "miss" certain segments. People who are into QAnon stuff, for example, are bad "material" for pollsters to work with. People supporting candidates, parties or goals which are seen as "unacceptable" or less desirable, similarly pose issues for conducting polls. I think that in recent years, there's more and more of that - going hand in hand with the rise of populist leaders worldwide.

So, IMO (and I hope I'm wrong), better to cut a chunk of the official poll numbers to get a better feel for the upcoming results. I don't pretend to be able accurately do this without the actual data, and/or being very involved in the actual polling process. As a guesstimate/rule of thumb, though, maybe something like the margin of error for a given poll. In order to be on the safe side, a wider gap is needed.

Add to the mix last minute surprises, whatever they might be (a few in 2016) and things could be even more fluid than that.

You don't have to over analyze...just come out and say what you feel, Biden's gonna loose ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

It sounds like you have little confidence in a Biden victory...on that we can agree.

It sounds like you're desperately trying to spin my words. What I said is that I think it would be a close call. As in Trump may lose, Biden win or vice versa. As for confidence in Biden winning - again, barking up the wrong tree. Same way I don't take Trump supporters' "landslide" posts seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I don’t think we can take the 2016 polling mistake as the template. Polls historically have been quite accurate. Even the 2016 election had Hillary won and she did in the popular vote. The 2016 election had some peculiarities like the excitement generated by late voters from Comey’s revelation and Russian interference. However I can say that polls are no certainty of actual outcome. Here an opinion piece that analysed the subject well. 

https://qz.com/1882744/can-we-trust-the-trump-biden-election-polls/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I don’t think we can take the 2016 polling mistake as the template. Polls historically have been quite accurate. Even the 2016 election had Hillary won and she did in the popular vote. The 2016 election had some peculiarities like the excitement generated by late voters from Comey’s revelation and Russian interference. However I can say that polls are no certainty of actual outcome. Here an opinion piece that analysed the subject well. 

https://qz.com/1882744/can-we-trust-the-trump-biden-election-polls/

What "mistake" would that be? Not following your narrative. HRC won the popular vote, yes, but in as this differs from winning states, it doesn't say much on points raised. As for polls being historically accurate, I will refer you to comment about changing times, and changing political styles. Citing the "surprises" which effected that election is alright, just need to acknowledge stuff like this could come up this time as well.

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

He doesn't have any reasons...other than he's wanted to be president, so he can ride The Beast, for 30 years.

Yes he does. There are many posts, links and OP's addressing this. Feel free to ignore them.