Crows - moving house - why ?

Speedo1968

I know there are some who comment regarding bird life ( flying kind ) but not sure if there is a special section.

Six years ago there were no crows locally.    Four years ago 2 crows only in one particular tree, but hundreds ( I have counted more than 500 birds with 120 in 15 minutes on their evening roost journey between 4pm and 6pm ) flying overhead to a different location to roost.
Last year all crows flying to a location some distance away to roost.     

This year a few crows stopping over in a new tree others, though not hundreds as before flying same direction to roost but making a stopover in trees near a small keep fit park.

Last year end of August much of this area was flooded for the first time in 50 years.

Flooding caused changes to soil, grasses etc.
Any guesses as to why crows have moved to different locations ?

• Like 1

I've noticed this too, I've lived in Mooban on the suburbs of Bangkok since the 90s, previously the land must be all rice fields and not many big trees for them to roost. Since it's become residential, people plant big trees but even then no crows until about 5-6 years ago.

Maybe their habitat big trees and parks in central Bangkok was destroyed in many construction project and has since moved outwards 
like Suan Lum night bazaar next to Lumpini Park used to have lots of big trees, it's now a big construction site

A lot of remaining green areas like old houses around Sukhumvit are being turned into condos too

• Like 2

9 hours ago, malt25 said:

Well... stone the crows !

I would if they ever nest near my abode......noisy bustards! I used to work where a flock occupied a tree in the grounds and they used to give me a headache! I often told them to flock off but they never did...????.

Edited by SunsetT

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

thai superstition ... if a crow visits your house... someone will die

if you catch a crow then secretly left it (tied up of course) in someone's house while you pay them a visit does that work,  someone in that house will die?

May be the occupant of the house became so agitated or worried that he or she died of heart attack.

More mystical readers may remember in the Carlos Castañeda books that the appearance of a crow signaled good fortune to Yaqui sorcerers.

I only noticed them here in Udomsuk in the last few years, cawing their way through the skies. They always make me happy, remind me of westcoast Canada.

Far prefer them to filthy pigeons!

• Like 1

At my school there have been 3 construction projects going on for 2 years now. Crows started showing up near the end of term 1 last year. This year there are dozens of them covering everything around in kee nok. So much so that the director had covered walkways installed around her office building. (we're in Bangkok) Wonder if closing the Dusit zoo last year has anything to do with them coming here.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

More mystical readers may remember in the Carlos Castañeda books that the appearance of a crow signaled good fortune to Yaqui sorcerers.

I only noticed them here in Udomsuk in the last few years, cawing their way through the skies. They always make me happy, remind me of westcoast Canada.

Far prefer them to filthy pigeons!

Now you are someone who knows whose books to read, Castaneda, excellent !!! not just for the beat / hippie generation.  Wonderful books to read and pass on during ones backpacking adventures.