TAT mulls ‘expat card’ in bid to end dual pricing

webfact

On 9/4/2020 at 11:03 AM, NCC1701A said:

but they can't make a card like this with ATM level security you can swipe at immigration for 90 day reporting?

insert card, pin number, push 90 day reporting button, receipt. done.  

and with a number you can use for the various times you need a Thai ID number like for utility apps and kiosks like True? 

Well played, sir, but no... too easy, logical, and sensical.

The underlying problem is still there. The unpleasant mindset that thinks foreigners should pay more to get into places of national heritage-

Just giving a few expats a pass isn't a solution.

When it comes to national parks, dual pricing is harmful and has a negative impact on management and development - this "card scheme" will do nothing to address that.

If they gave up blanket pricing it would help for a start.

Their offering is a tiny bandaid on a big boil.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:17 PM, skorp13 said:

I think they have missed the point that this shouldn't even be an issue

mate of mine is in Koh Chang right now. Pricing right on the window of entry into a national park with a waterfall clearly states both in English and Thai....Children 20 baht, adults 40 baht, foreigners 200 baht. This is as of yesterday and he has proper visa and current Thai dl

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

mate of mine is in Koh Chang right now. Pricing right on the window of entry into a national park with a waterfall clearly states both in English and Thai....Children 20 baht, adults 40 baht, foreigners 200 baht. This is as of yesterday and he has proper visa and current Thai dl

..and your point is?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Do I have to go to immigration in order to get one? Then, no thanks. 

Don't waste your time, even if you have Thai residency and all the I'd cards with you you'll still be charged falung price 

This is because your still a falung.

That's the explanation my wife was given when I presented my Thai I'd card at a venue. 

OK you still falung not worry you have Thai residency you still falung you pay. 

2 hours ago, Virt said:

Can someone tell me if Thailand always had dual pricing or when did it begin?

you could probably spin a date on some things - like the National Prks - however they have had several pricing reviews over the years that only applied (unofficially) to foreign tourists.

The system of having just one price (or two) to cover every single park is in itself absurd.

I'm sure that it had its roots in bartering.

National parks charge 10 times the amount for foreigners but you'll still see signs like this.in tourist areas.......... 

dual_pricing_noodle_soup-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Not another bloody gooses, isn’t a yellowbook, pink ID card, Thai driving licence, passport enough.

I feel insulted, I presume there will be a charge for the card same like a driving licence 500baht for five years, idiots.

Some national parks are a complete waste of time, take Phu Luang the road is abysmal some pot holes will swallow your wheel, no facilities on top just one vendor, and the only wildlife I saw was a chicken crossing the road about ten kms from the top. Saying the previous I am sure some are worth a visit.

7 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

National parks charge 10 times the amount for foreigners but you'll still see signs like this.in tourist areas.......... 

So 50 baht for Thais  and 60 baht for "dirty foreigners"  

maybe they try to justify this by saying the foreigners get a bigger bowl !

On 9/7/2020 at 1:59 PM, skorp13 said:

269.thumb.jpg.3e60e956b6e9fe4606b8a721a97d3cfb.jpg

Tell your mate in Ko Chang to come to Big Buddha at Nong Khai and save 160 baht.

Thais know about duel pricing,if you go to a national park.they pay 50 baht and then they know the farang pays loads more.my friend showed his thai license with his thai family and paid the same.nothing was said of course.

So if this cards stops this practice ok,but somehow I think it will continue as normal.unless you need to visit a national park or zoo look from the outside