TAT mulls ‘expat card’ in bid to end dual pricing

webfact

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I mean, let's be honest, how often do most people actually visit national parks, especially since so many of them are either a rubbish tip in the making or a complete let-down, a four foot high trickle of water down a rock after trekking through the jungle for half an hour?

Sometimes you are charged the fee without even realizing that.

For example, the Phi Phi islands are a national park, and if you take a snorkeling or diving tour there you have to pay 400-600 THB, which is often included in the tour price so people don't even know about that park entrance fee.

• Like 1

This would represent one of the very few things this toxic administration has ever done to benefit ex-pats. It would be a strong and a positive statement, that there are at least some, who care about our presence, on some level. Anything. Do anything. Just do not continue to do nothing, taking us completely for granted, and treating each of us like some kind of soi dog.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, polpott said:

Why can't we just use the pink card? Took me 30 minutes to get mine and at no point did I speak.

Have never used it, as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Dont agree with you. I was stopped by the police. Asked for passport which i don't ever carry. Showed my pink ID card, which he looked at then returned it to me. He just turned away, not so much as a smile of thank you, not that I expected anything different.

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I tried to get a pink card, and after listening to the uniform talking for 15 minutes about how difficult it was while waiting for me to offer an incentive to smooth the path I walked out. My wife, of course, wai-ed her for taking the p*** with us.

Just did mine last year .   brought my yellow (tabien bahn) book and passport in with me and presto . 20 minutes later they took my photo .   Cost ?  Free.      This was in CM .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

but they can't make a card like this with ATM level security you can swipe at immigration for 90 day reporting?

insert card, pin number, push 90 day reporting button, receipt. done.  

and with a number you can use for the various times you need a Thai ID number like for utility apps and kiosks like True? 

But then that would deny them of their "Power Trip" where they enjoy making us jump through hoops, then imagining that we actually look up to them!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT mulls ‘expat card’ in bid to end dual pricing

Have to look up in Thesaurus: 

“end” = “institutionalize” 

got it already ;-)

6 hours ago, webfact said:

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Why on earth not just end dual pricing then there is zero need for an 'Expat Card'?

Because they do not really want to end that. They will let expats get away but still want to overcharge tourists! Otherwise they could simply forbid dual pricing, set up a channel for complaining and issue big fines for those who don't obey.

Once again, a complicated Thai style half-solution, still motivated by the same greed and still not changing much.

Edited by P100
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Always use my driving licence or pink card ,never have a problem ,always get THAI price.

Me too - I always pay in thaibaht like every thai do, never need to ask ... :whistling:

Edited by ttrd

17 minutes ago, rumak said:

Just did mine last year .   brought my yellow (tabien bahn) book and passport in with me and presto . 20 minutes later they took my photo .   Cost ?  Free.      This was in CM .

One obstacle they put in my path was saying I had to get my entire UK passport translated into Thai, and to do that I had to go from Kalasin Province to Bangkok to get it done at their approved translator. I do often wonder what my life would have been like, how different it might have been, if I hadn't come to live in a corrupt, third world banana republic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Here we go again with the 'just use a pink card' comment.

Please be aware that some provincial offices refuse to give out pink cards even to foreigners who have lived here for most of their lives and fulfill all the criteria specified in 'da rule book'. Pink cards just not an option for some people, whether they want one or not.

Fortunately I have been let into most national parks at Thai price on showing my driving license, but that's not a perfect solution either.

I think the proposed Expat Card could be a good move, so long as we don't have to pay a fortune for it or have silly hoops to jump through to get one.

ohhh, here we go again with using the DL comment, it has been done, recorded, etc., what about the ones that don't have a DL because they can't.... please read my post again whereby you will see that I said OR the much easier solution, just completely removed the dual pricing from any/all places, no need for cards of any sort

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One obstacle they put in my path was saying I had to get my entire UK passport translated into Thai, and to do that I had to go from Kalasin Province to Bangkok to get it done at their approved translator. I do often wonder what my life would have been like, how different it might have been, if I hadn't come to live in a corrupt, third world banana republic.

One thing is for sure - you wouldn't need to translate your entire passport into Thai, but that alone wouldn't have been any life change of importance ... :thumbsup:

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ttrd said:
15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One thing is for sure - you wouldn't need to translate your entire passport into Thai, but that alone wouldn't have been any life change of importance ... :thumbsup:

Another time, I needed a signature saying the person in a photo was me. Again, 15 minutes on why it couldn't be done, 15 minutes of waiting for me to offer an incentive. Again I just walked out.

• Like 1