TAT mulls ‘expat card’ in bid to end dual pricing

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa understands that TAT has made ending the practice of dual pricing across the tourism industry in Thailand a top priority and is in discussions with various government departments, state agencies and private sector organisations regarding the matter

T.A.T have so far achieved nothing as far as dual pricing is concerned, they have allowed it and condoned it for years.

No need for a card of any colour, the government can cut this practice at a stroke...
Just end it once and for all.

Admission price is the same for all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

but they can't make a card like this with ATM level security you can swipe at immigration for 90 day reporting?

insert card, pin number, push 90 day reporting button, receipt. done.  

and with a number you can use for the various times you need a Thai ID number like for utility apps and kiosks like True? 

You are obviously thinking like the character aboard your user name. You must stop doing that, Ha!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Do I have to go to immigration in order to get one? Then, no thanks. 

Should be no need for the card if dual pricing is outlawed. If you haven't a card they can charge you more then a Thai then. Bonkers,

But there could be a case for charging tourists more of them a Thai, such as national parks or places were its been paid for and maintained by the Thai tax payer.

But Thais being charged to go into these places is ludicrous for them to pay to see what they have bought and maintained through there taxes. That wouldn't be accepted and in the UK. Fancy having to pay to go into an art gallery were the tax payer has paid millions of pounds for a painting, but it was tried once.

Edited by Percy P

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

I showed my Thai driving license and so far it worked to get a Thai price. But I always was with my Thai girlfriend and perhaps this helped in addition. 

Really? It has never worked for me, even being with my wife.. Depends on where obviously.

3 hours ago, Pottinger said:

2003? That old story was around in the '80s when they used to switch traffic direction on Sukhumvit and Petchburi almost by the month.

During the 90s a French consortium did a test of automated lights which worked pretty well. The RTP said that gecko poop shorted out the cables making it unreliable and declined to buy it. Now, as we all know we have the RTP to be reliably incapable of addressing traffic issues...

5 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Why on earth not just end dual pricing then there is zero need for an 'Expat Card'?

Well, it's not a tourist card so dual pricing seem to be ending for expats and expats only ...

• Thanks 1

Back in the day when I visited national parks I used to take about 8 people altogether with me then when the farang price started again I stopped going , don’t think any of the Thais I took went again , I was paying Thai price but for everyone , and food and others ,   So good at business these Thais .

Pay a couple of hundred baht more for a tourist attraction where you can decide to pay or not visit is one thing, but Farang price at hospitals is a disgrace, a minor procedure can cost up to 50% more for farangs, 10s of thousands of baht.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shuya said:

Same hassle to get this card as getting a pink ID card? No thank you, I rather waive visiting all those spectacular wonders of nature they call national parks.  

I tried to get a pink card, and after listening to the uniform talking for 15 minutes about how difficult it was while waiting for me to offer an incentive to smooth the path I walked out. My wife, of course, wai-ed her for taking the p*** with us.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

All around the world, locals get discount. 

Royal Melbourne Golf Club, Disney world in Florida, castles in Scotland. 

And I would have no problem with that if it was locals vs tourists, but I live a couple of miles from Nong Nooch Gardens and still get charged farang price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

All around the world, locals get discount. 

Royal Melbourne Golf Club, Disney world in Florida, castles in Scotland. 

That is local, to the region.

On the gold coast the movie world, sea world, dream world all give locals, within a certain distance, a discount. But if you are outside that area, even if aussie, you pay tourist price. Its not based on citizenship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whitfield said:

Pay a couple of hundred baht more for a tourist attraction where you can decide to pay or not visit is one thing, but Farang price at hospitals is a disgrace, a minor procedure can cost up to 50% more for farangs, 10s of thousands of baht.  

I have not experienced over pricing in hospitals to see a doctor or for minor treatments . My guess is that you go to private hospitals ,that do have the advantage of not having to wait long for a consultation in the midst of a dense crowd of local Thais . I see a doctor at an ordinary hospital that treats the common masses . I have an excellent doctor , over COVID-19 without a consultation the hospital has posted my medicines right on time without my having to ask , Brilliant !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

And perhaps you have to renew it every 90 days... 

...with a mountain of paperwork and have it signed off by the governor of the province where you live, the PM or President of the country where you come from and the current minister of foreign affairs in Thailand.

• Haha 2