TAT mulls ‘expat card’ in bid to end dual pricing

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One obstacle they put in my path was saying I had to get my entire UK passport translated into Thai, and to do that I had to go from Kalasin Province to Bangkok to get it done at their approved translator. I do often wonder what my life would have been like, how different it might have been, if I hadn't come to live in a corrupt, third world banana republic.

I have had my share of "frustrations" over my 30 years here .  Not always clear sailing . But luckily nothing major,  and the more i learned the easier it became .   Believe me, anyone in the world who

is not being just a robot (following orders)  has probably encountered  bureaucratic BS , payed tons of taxes, and been treated less fairly than some others at times.  

And hey, you can't deny that Thailand has been more "interesting"  than the boring, sterile lives so many western guys live.     I think even Paul found that out  ????

BTW:  screw the pink card.   hardly any use, if any.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Tanes Petsuwan, the Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications at TAT, said that “it does not make sense” to charge foreigners more than Thais"

There you go they even admit themselves. Credit where due tho, least they talking about it - its a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

ohhh, here we go again with using the DL comment, it has been done, recorded, etc., what about the ones that don't have a DL because they can't.... please read my post again whereby you will see that I said OR the much easier solution, just completely removed the dual pricing from any/all places, no need for cards of any sort

The driving license is not a perfect solution, as I said in the post that you are criticising. It isn't perfect for three reasons: first because some folk don't drive, second because as an ID it is often out of date with the wrong (your previous) passport number, third because it often has the wrong address (if you have moved since getting it).

The pink card is also not a perfect solution, because as I said in the post you are criticising, some provincial offices will refuse to issue them.

The topic of this thread is about a possible Expat Card. It is not about dropping dual pricing altogether, which is not on the table at this time. So, given the alternatives, I think this could be a good idea, if it is easy to get and free or cheap to get, as I said in the post you are criticising.

In summary: DL and pink card no good for everyone; dropping dual pricing is not an option at this time; the expat card could be the answer.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rumak said:

screw the pink card.   hardly any use, if any.

There was a post while ago. One of TV members claimed that he was charged a "Thai fee" at one of the government hospitals without going through farang forms since there is an "ID number". Was that a fact regarding a pink card ? 

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

There was a post while ago. One of TV members claimed that he was charged a "Thai fee" at one of the government hospitals without going through farang forms since there is an "ID number". Was that a fact regarding a pink card ? 

The pink card has an ID number, yes, which makes it easy for online applications requiring same.

Does nto entitle one to free care under the government system, though.

I have no idea what is meant by "farang forms".

As some other tell already, it should be much more easy to go:

forbid double pricing and if someone not follow the law, the jail.

It is very easy, because if any do not follow that law, foreigner will take pictures and will go to show them in immigration office, then the law would have to apply. If the law not apply next, we can write to the minister office with the proof linked.

After some would be catch to negate the law and to paid, it will be definitely finish.

easy.

question tag session:

What is the real idea back to this card ? Can we trust something who is not easy when there is some easy way to fix the problem ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It's not the end of dual pricing. This move only proves that they want to keep it. 

TAT introduced a scheme at Thailand Golf clubs with a discount since Covid to encourage players to play, however this is only availble to Thai people and not farang residents. So TAT want to end dual pricing but its OK for them to introduce it. 

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The pink card has an ID number, yes, which makes it easy for online applications requiring same.

Does nto entitle one to free care under the government system, though.

I have no idea what is meant by "farang forms".

I guess he already had medical history and the pink ID number brings up everything quickly.

• Like 1

National parks used to accept a work permit or a Thai driving license as proof of residency but they stopped this a few years ago. Now ALL farangs pay 200 baht whilst Thais pay 20 baht at most national parks. This is racism pure and simple so whoever you are or where you come from it needs to stop.

• Like 2

If they really want to end dual pricing just make it law that no establishment or individual can charge foreigners more than Thais...end of story!  There would be no need for the time, effort, and expense of issuing cards...everybody just pays the same. 

While this report states it wants an end to dual pricing, it smells like tourists will still be targeted otherwise why bother with a card??

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

think that was me ,yes i was charged Thai price with my pink card ,she seemed quite pleased i had one 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

i got one because UOB bank wanted it to open a higher interest earning acct.     

the pink card does not have a bar code so i could not even use it for ID to pay bills at Lotus.

Might have some advantages, but i don't know.  I felt like a bigshot pulling it out a few times,

person looking not impressed (no crude comments please)    haha      So now i stick to driver's license to show

oh, and doesn't help me at govt hospital.   but no problem to register and get an id card .   Still i have to pay (very little) ....... thais mostly free if not all free

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One obstacle they put in my path was saying I had to get my entire UK passport translated into Thai, and to do that I had to go from Kalasin Province to Bangkok to get it done at their approved translator. I do often wonder what my life would have been like, how different it might have been, if I hadn't come to live in a corrupt, third world banana republic.

Thank your lucky stars that you don't live in the UK, because that place is also well on the way to becoming a "third world banana republic".

Edited by thaigrifter
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

think that was me ,yes i was charged Thai price with my pink card ,she seemed quite pleased i had one 

"thai price ? "     my mrs and her family pay nothing .   father in hospital for major illness....... no charges at all .   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Agreed.  Thats my experience too.  I have had the same problem trying to get the yellow book which is required before the pink card can be issued.  The number of hoops our amphur wanted me to jump through to get the YB was over the top especially considering I have been able to do whatever I have wanted to do without one just by showing some other ID such as passport, drivers lic etc and I have never been asked for one.

The difficulty is getting some on here to comprehend that some amphurs, traffic offices, banks, hospitals etc are just like Imm offices throughout Thailand in that they all have their own different requirements.  It may be just a 20 minute exercise in Bangkok, Phuket or Nakon Nowhere but where I am it is certainly not.  For me it is a waste of time, effort and money. 

If they decided that the pink card was required for me to get into a park or museum without paying full price it would still be easier and cheaper in the long run for me to pay full farang entrance fee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oldie said:

I showed my Thai driving license and so far it worked to get a Thai price. But I always was with my Thai girlfriend and perhaps this helped in addition. 

If you got a discount you are lucky. For a number of years flash the old drivers license and wam Thai price, that stopped about 6 or 7 years ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sujo said:

That is local, to the region.

On the gold coast the movie world, sea world, dream world all give locals, within a certain distance, a discount. But if you are outside that area, even if aussie, you pay tourist price. Its not based on citizenship.

Royal Melbourne is. $200 More for foreigners! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orlov said:

National parks used to accept a work permit or a Thai driving license as proof of residency but they stopped this a few years ago. Now ALL farangs pay 200 baht whilst Thais pay 20 baht at most national parks. This is racism pure and simple so whoever you are or where you come from it needs to stop.

Cue the all purpose canned response: "my pen rai".

4 hours ago, Letseng said:

Everybody here is full of complaints and criticism.

Is your country of origin perfect? If so, why don't you return home?

Not perfect, but frequent iterations of constitutional law and equality have become more embedded in every domain of the social contract. Do you have a problem with victims of prejudice and discrimination voicing their right to equal justice under the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand? 

Part 6 Foreign Policies, Section 82: The State shall promote friendly relations with other countries and adopt the principle of non-discrimination and shall comply with human rights conventions in which Thailand is a party thereto as well as international obligations concluded with other countries and international organisations.

• Sad 1

Goodness me,, what a load of old rubbish. It' like explaining to a smoker the key to being a non smoker is simply not to smoke.. They key to stop dual pricing is just to stop dual pricing... Make it an illegal trading practice and job done.,, no need to create more admin, more process, more paperwork and another form of ID,,, I still find it unbelievable how stupid these people are, i mean when they sit around a table coming up with these solutions is nobody seriously bright enough to see the obvious, cheaper solution? I can only imagine that the real reason for this is they are ok for expats to not be charged more but any tourists will face the dual pricing for evermore... Must be something like this OR they really are that stupid.

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

The difficulty is getting some on here to comprehend that some amphurs, traffic offices, banks, hospitals etc are just like Imm offices throughout Thailand in that they all have their own different requirements

yes, i agree.     just  for the record I am aware that each amphur, immig office, land office, etc all have their own"way of doing things".          i say that often when people post "this is the law" type stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ericnoodeeka said:

got the pink card, and never been charged farang price in 12 year. latest visit to national park in kanchanaburi included.

They only gave the pink card to migrant workers pre 2016.

Edited by Neeranam

7 hours ago, Percy P said:

Should be no need for the card if dual pricing is outlawed. If you haven't a card they can charge you more then a Thai then. Bonkers,

But there could be a case for charging tourists more of them a Thai, such as national parks or places were its been paid for and maintained by the Thai tax payer.

But Thais being charged to go into these places is ludicrous for them to pay to see what they have bought and maintained through there taxes. That wouldn't be accepted and in the UK. Fancy having to pay to go into an art gallery were the tax payer has paid millions of pounds for a painting, but it was tried once.

Sorry to disagree but have you ever heard of Stonehenge or other Heritage sites where they charge a family of 4 will pay £100 or more, but it is the same price for everyone.

• Like 2