recent experience shipping from CM to US by UPS or FedEx ?

orang37

Well, firstly for a small parcel like that use regular mail, rather than the pricier UPS/Fedex options.

I can comment on the reverse situation.

My wife just sent a package to family in Thailand from the US.

The lady at USPS said that service had been restored, but cautioned that delivery times might be extended due to the reduction in flights

• Like 2

What ever you do don't use DHL. They will openly ask you for money "under the table".

A Customs officer told me he constantly has trouble with DHL.

If you use DHL be prepared to pay and pay and pay.

I paid 3700bht to have less than 1 kg shipped from the US. DHL called me and literally asked 

for 3800 bht "under the table" 2800 for customs and 1000 for DHL Upon speaking to Customs,

Customs said the package had already been released to DHL and there were no charges.

59 minutes ago, tpiety2 said:

What ever you do don't use DHL. They will openly ask you for money "under the table".

A Customs officer told me he constantly has trouble with DHL.

If you use DHL be prepared to pay and pay and pay.

I paid 3700bht to have less than 1 kg shipped from the US. DHL called me and literally asked 

for 3800 bht "under the table" 2800 for customs and 1000 for DHL Upon speaking to Customs,

Customs said the package had already been released to DHL and there were no charges.

That's nonsense.

We ship to the USA all the time by DHL. (He is asking about shipping from Thailand to USA, not the other way around). There is an exemption of 24,000 THB or 800$ USD to the USA. Nobody pays any tax on shipments valued up to 24,000 THB. DHL is excellent and extremely reliable. Customer support is 5*****. And, they are cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

• Thanks 2

On 9/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, elektrified said:

Thailand Post by "e-Packet" - 1 kg. = 845 THB, 2 kg. = 1,450 THB

DHL 1 kg. = 2,060.50, 2 kg. = 3,660.50 (both UPS and FedEx will be more)

Hi, and thanks for the on-topic relies !

By "e-Packet," can I assume this is the equivalent of EMS ? In your recent experience, how long has the parcel taken to be delivered in the US ?

fyi: I recently used Aramex to receive a small parcel from India: Jaipur to CM in seven days, no customs duties. Cost the Indian seller US $23 to send. While Aramex has no office in Chiang Mai, they will arrange pick-up, or delivery (from Bangkok), via another service ... there was no extra charge for that.

thanks ! ~o:37;

11 hours ago, orang37 said:

Hi, and thanks for the on-topic relies !

By "e-Packet," can I assume this is the equivalent of EMS ? In your recent experience, how long has the parcel taken to be delivered in the US ?

fyi: I recently used Aramex to receive a small parcel from India: Jaipur to CM in seven days, no customs duties. Cost the Indian seller US $23 to send. While Aramex has no office in Chiang Mai, they will arrange pick-up, or delivery (from Bangkok), via another service ... there was no extra charge for that.

thanks ! ~o:37;

No, it is not the equivalent. The difference being that e-Packet can only be insured for up to 1500 Baht (cost = 30 Baht), whereas EMS includes insurance up to 7,000 Baht (but is much more expensive). Recently both e-Packet and EMS are taking between 21 and 35 days to get to the USA (there are no direct flights and the post changes planes several times).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nickw said:

I have a package waiting in Thailand at Fed Ex office since April.  Seems like packages are not shipping outbound, but they are inbound.   Package is for a 3 day delivery to USA.  seesh

How long are you going to wait before you pick up your package and take it to DHL for them to send immediately?

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpful replies on this topic !

fyi: I received a small parcel from outside Thailand yesterday from FedEx: they asked me for 177 baht for VAT; DHL and Aramex have never asked for such a charge. The very nice employees at the Chiang Mai office could not explain this charge ... afaik it was not a customs' duty..

The FedEx notification system sent me several contradictory e-mails regarding location and delivery of the parcel; I wasted far too much time trying to get accurate information.

It took major effort to finally get their supposedly English-language support person at #1728 to give me a direct number for the Chiang Mai office #053128150: the man I spoke to at the CM office spoke much better English.

I'll never use FedEx in Thailand again.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, elektrified said:

That's nonsense.

We ship to the USA all the time by DHL. (He is asking about shipping from Thailand to USA, not the other way around). There is an exemption of 24,000 THB or 800$ USD to the USA. Nobody pays any tax on shipments valued up to 24,000 THB. DHL is excellent and extremely reliable. Customer support is 5*****. And, they are cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

Nonsense 5555,

Shipped from US to Thailand. 

DHL called me and literally asked 

for 3800 bht "under the table" 2800 for customs and 1000 for DHL. Not Nonsense, it is 100% true.          DHL openly and clearly said "3800bht, under the table". DHL excellent, my ass! Thai Customs openly said DHL is very unreliable. huh, I had a common experience according to Customs.