UK warns EU on Brexit: We won't blink first

webfact

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Why ?  do you give them a "Manchester kiss" or some such violence.

That's exactly what I mean, they come to sit at my table and start to speak "something" I usually not understand. 

I have absolutely no idea what a "Manchester kiss" is, and no desire at all to know what it is. 

There was once a guy who said to me: "don't you speak English" 

I answered him "I do, you don't". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, johng said:

Can you post a photo of yourself so "us Britons" make sure we don't innocently try to talk you. ;')

What about a "banner" on my table with :

"No mad dogs & Englishmen" 

With thanks to Mr. Noël Coward. 

But enough, I stop here. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

You are playing with your (Britain without Scotland and NI) reputation. 

Does UK turns into a Rogue State? 

????

I would add that is exactly what the vast majority in England want,...more than definitely want

Shut of Scotland,and as for Ireland ,you can keep it, just get shut of the problem,once and for all,..just what Boris aims to do

Well done Boris

On 9/8/2020 at 5:14 PM, nauseus said:

They certainly do have ammunition. The question is will they use it? 

The trade deficit with Germany is on goods, which will be subject to tariffs at WTO rates from both sides, however the UK has a trade surplus with the EU of over $30Bn in financial services and these can be subject to a lot more non-tariff barriers.

So yes, there is the ammunition.

Frankfurt stands to gain much more in terms of financial services trade than Munich and Stuttgart will lose in auto sales - so anyone who thinks the German car manufacturers will sway the German government stance may be mistaken

Edited by crobe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Since many years I try to avoid Britons in Pattaya.

For some obscure reason there are always some who want to speak to me. 

After a very short time they realize it was a bad idea. 

I believe, whith the actual situation, when I go back to Pattaya next month , there will be only Britons who know who I am, and keep away from me. 

We are not all that bad - and having lived and worked on the Wallonian-Flemish border there are other countries with internal problems

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crobe said:

The trade deficit with Germany is on goods, which will be subject to tariffs at WTO rates from both sides, however the UK has a trade surplus with the EU of over $30Bn in financial services and these can be subject to a lot more non-tariff barriers.

So yes, there is the ammunition.

Frankfurt stands to gain much more in terms of financial services trade than Munich and Stuttgart will lose in auto sales - so anyone who thinks the German car manufacturers will sway the German government stance may be mistaken

It is you who are mistaken. It would take years, if ever, to shift even a fraction of the financial services market out of London. The German auto industry would lose out immediately in the event of no deal; that means an immediate loss of jobs and that's why German car manufacturers can sway the German government. 

16 hours ago, luckyluke said:

What about a "banner" on my table with :

"No mad dogs & Englishmen" 

With thanks to Mr. Noël Coward. 

But enough, I stop here. 

That'll be the day!

Edited by nauseus

18 hours ago, luckyluke said:

That's exactly what I mean, they come to sit at my table and start to speak "something" I usually not understand. 

I have absolutely no idea what a "Manchester kiss" is, and no desire at all to know what it is. 

There was once a guy who said to me: "don't you speak English" 

I answered him "I do, you don't". 

Don't tell me ...............

....................... and then he kissed you! ????

• Haha 1

that's why German car manufacturers can sway the German government. 

They just wait until the very last moment like last-minute-man Boris? ???? 

Even after so many years, you still haven’t understood that the single market is worth much more than the small U.K. market. No one will come to the rescue of the breadcrumbs when it would damage the big pie. (Unlike Brexiteers, of course, who fight for their 0.1% fishing industry)

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, izod10 said:

I would add that is exactly what the vast majority in England want,...more than definitely want

Shut of Scotland,and as for Ireland ,you can keep it, just get shut of the problem,once and for all,..just what Boris aims to do

Well done Boris

They should bar you from entering the continent. ????

The UK is important, strategically, so I don't think Europe (i.e. France/Germany) will tell us to FO.. Probably be some last minute compromises. This is the problem really - we're telling them to FO, they're telling us to FO, but we both realise that in reality it's a mutually dependent relationship. It's all about getting a good deal. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants a complete break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

The UK is important, strategically, so I don't think Europe (i.e. France/Germany) will tell us to FO.. Probably be some last minute compromises. This is the problem really - we're telling them to FO, they're telling us to FO, but we both realise that in reality it's a mutually dependent relationship. It's all about getting a good deal. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants a complete break.

True, but there is Boris' problem:

A deal would damage his reputation with the Brexiteers.

And a No Deal would damage his reputation with the Remainers who were hoping at least to get a deal. 

And now breaking international laws......... It's both a banana country and a rogue state. 

Where is the reliability of UK gone? ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nausea said:

Probably be some last minute compromises.

We can but hope

3 hours ago, nausea said:

... we both realise that in reality it's a mutually dependent relationship. It's all about getting a good deal. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants a complete break.

Sadly today's developments suggest that is not the case. It appears that the UK government is set on a complete break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

...and 80% of the benefits go to Japan, the UK improving just 0.1x% compared to its existing EU-JP trade deal. That’s what happens when you’re small and desperate. 

Good news is, they can always ask their sovereign parliament to break what they signed up for. 

Where do you get these ratios from? Hint: don't pull your rabbit out at the same time and give the game away!