Extension of tourist visa but how if airlines don’t accept ?

Hi I know with covid this is a question when things return to normal. They say if you arrive on a visa exemption of 30 day stay you can extend for another 30 days , or if you have a 60 day tourist visa (applied in your home country)you can get a further 30 days.  BUT , if I depart my home country with a return ticket of 60 days (30 day exemption + 30 day extension planned ) or 60 day multiple entry ( plus 30 day extension), the airline will refuse me entry on he plane fro. Australia as they say you don’t have permission ( at the time of departure)to stay more than 30 or 60 days respectively? Even if I explain to them  I -lan to apply for an Extension  ?

same If I just want to get a visa exemption on arrival but no return or onward flight they may refuse even though I may do a few visa runs via air tri-s to neighbour countries , how do, you get around this ?

12 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Easy.  Either book a cheap throwaway ticket out of Thailand within 30/60 days of arrival.  Alternatively book a not cheap ticket which you can cancel and get a refund.

Most airlines and OTA's such as Expedia/Orbitz allow free cancellation within 24h of purchasing the ticket. Much easier and cost effective than using a throwaway ticket or an expensive flex fare.

5 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Many thanks so if I purchase a one way ticket from Brisbane to Bangkok with Thai airways ,then Just buy an outward cheap ticket to say Cambodia they should let me on the plane in Brisbane ?

2 x singles are normally a lot more expensive than a return, get the return for your required dates and then a throw away/cancelable ticket to satisfy the airline., or of course a visa

14 hours ago, treetops said:

Depends what country you're purchasing the ticket in.

You can always use Expedia / Orbitz USA page no matter what your city pair is.

I exclusively use Orbitz for all my flights including intra Asia travel.

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Get a tourist Visa.... when landing in Thailand with one, a return flight is not checked for and hence the airline should have no reason to refuse you. The catch is you need to show a return ticket to get the Visa. 

It doesn't matter if a return flight isn't checked for (and in some cases depending on your appearance it IS checked).

The law says you HAVE to have a return flight and that's the information in TIMATIC which the airlines use. IF you can't comply with the regulations the airline has the right to deny you transportation as they are otherwise on the hook for fines and transporting you back to your origin if the immigration finds you inadmissible.

9 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Many thanks so if I purchase a one way ticket from Brisbane to Bangkok with Thai airways ,then Just buy an outward cheap ticket to say Cambodia they should let me on the plane in Brisbane ?

One way tickets are usually very expensive, often similar to what you would pay for a one month return. If you have no intention of returning of course that is no problem. As to your question, yes.

8 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Many thanks so if I purchase a one way ticket from Brisbane to Bangkok with Thai airways

Assuming things return to pre-COVID status, TG wuld deny you boarding at BNE.

If you had proof of onward travel out of Thailand on an aircraft within 30 days then they would allow you to board.

Some airlines offer tickets with 12 month use, so you can book a return within 30 days, and then change the return date, free or with a fee.

I guess it would help if you could share more detail, esepcially regarding air travel BNE-BKK, BKK-XXX and YYY-BNE?

1 minute ago, FlyingThai said:

and transporting you back to your origin if the immigration finds you inadmissible

And since  you have a TV, why would immigration find you inadmissable? They do not require a return flight. Really depends on how pernickety your carrier is at check in. I regularly travel to Thailand on the return leg ticket and my Re-Entry Permit is enough for check-in staff. Done it on one way tickets too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Some airlines offer tickets with 12 month use, so you can book a return within 30 days, and then change the return date, free or with a fee.

Yes I suggested this, one has to have a good look at the T&Cs before purchasing, and be aware the re-booking of the return leg often means no seats of the same booking class and a charge. What looked like a bargain when purchasing may be very restricted.

29 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The law says you HAVE to have a return flight and that's the information in TIMATIC which the airlines use.

To be picky, it's any flight out of the country, not necessarily a return flight, and TIMATIC also says "Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers" so airlines can use that as a get out, but I've never come across that being discussed.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

To be picky, it's any flight out of the country, not necessarily a return flight, and TIMATIC also says "Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers" so airlines can use that as a get out, but I've never come across that being discussed.

I have also heard of Airlines accepting some signed paper that the passenger will bear responsibility for return costs, not sure if that includes the fine that might be imposed on the airline for bringing him.

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And since  you have a TV, why would immigration find you inadmissable? They do not require a return flight. Really depends on how pernickety your carrier is at check in. I regularly travel to Thailand on the return leg ticket and my Re-Entry Permit is enough for check-in staff. Done it on one way tickets too.

Having a re-entry permit to show is an entirely different matter vs nothing.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is clear about this:

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/questions-answers-on-thai-visa?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c30600068d3

An immigration Officer can find you inadmissible for many reasons no matter what visa you have in your passport as a common citizen (non-diplomat). Having a visa means nothing, your entry into the country is contingent upon admissibility at immigration checkpoint.

These "games" with physical Tourist Visa labels are at an end anyway for the foreseeable future.

There are also many on-line travel agents which will provide a booking - there are typicaly used to support a visa application - for a manageable fee ( ~ 20 USD ).

There are other methods as well.

These are both legal, and verified to work in many applications, including supporting Proof of Onward Travel.

There are gazillions of threads here re: POWT.

There are very few truly fully refundable tickets these days. Yes, some online travel services offer 24 hour cancellation. Yes, some can book an award and the refund the miles without fee.

It must be a law, rule, police order, requirement, request etc. as it is in most GDS'es.