Decathon Full Suspension

Kinnock

Happened to spot this in Decathon yesterday - not cheap and perhaps not the best brand, but a good spec.  

The LH bar lever led to the shock, so I assume on the fly adjustment.  Only one front ring, but a massive rear cassette for all the gears.  29 inch wheels and large diameter front forks.

pixlr_20200907182542425.thumb.jpg.5b1be45f0cb1c09ed75f87df8bf53d85.jpg

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Pretty much everything Decathlon sells is under their own house brand.  You have to look at build quality and components to determine whether it's a good value.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/gs-nx-1-a1

Good point.  It looked pretty sound to me.  I like the look of that SRAM drivetrain - one less thing to get clogged with mud.

10 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Amazing, 40000 Baht is E 1078. The same model is sold in Europe for E 1609. https://www.decathlon.nl/p/mountainbike-all-mountain-100s-29/_/R-p-X8586941  

And its 10,000 baht cheaper in Thailand than it is in the UK (£1200 / 50,000 baht in the UK).

Well done Decathlon for some how not ‘applying a luxury tax’ on stuff we like !!!! 

Now I want to know: When will Decathlon start selling wine, cheese, Whisky, Cars, Motorcycles.

Although - don’t buy their swimming goggles - the ’tint’ deteriorates within a few weeks (if washed after use or not).

(buy the clear ones if you have to).

On the SRAM gear set - its not ‘in house’ Decathlon and has a good reputation, comparable to Shimano. 

The quality purely depends on which SRAM gear set.

The SRAM NX Eagle 1 is decent (plenty of reviews around). 

Its a good price for a good bike, especially in Thailand. 

Its 13.3 kgs well weighted for a full suspension machine.

Compared to a Specialized Stump jumper (which is 3 to 5x more expensive) and also uses SRAM NX Eagle (in its 4000 Euro model - Evo Comp Carbon 29”) and is 14kg

• Like 1

This has me completely stumped. House  brand for DEC and looks like the AM 100 series.  Never been a fan of Rock Shox  (I  prefer manitou and I think they use manitou's for the higher end  version of this model)

I just can't get my head around the 29" wheels. I know most of DEC's inventory is 27.5. and 29" is where the mainstream is going.  I am a dinosaur though, as I ride 26" (and won't abandon hard tail for full suspension.)    29" is promoted as faster  and more stable, but meh.   And sorry for going off on a tangent. I mention the size in case you ever need to replace components/parts. 27.5 is the universal size now. 29" may present some option limitations, and of course, very few options left for the change resistant 26 inchers like me clinging to the glory days of the 80"s and 90's. All that said, looks lovely.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On the SRAM gear set - its not ‘in house’ Decathlon and has a good reputation, comparable to Shimano. 

The quality purely depends on which SRAM gear set.

SRAM is a very popular component set used on many brands.  Same with the front fork, which is a Rock Shox (which is part of SRAM) 

The Decathlon brand in the story is Rockrider (I suspect anyway... because that's the way Decathlon offers very attractive pricing on pretty much equal quality/specifications).  They also sell a brand called Btwin.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

This has me completely stumped. House  brand for DEC and looks like the AM 100 series.  Never been a fan of Rock Shox  (I  prefer manitou and I think they use manitou's for the higher end  version of this model)

I just can't get my head around the 29" wheels. I know most of DEC's inventory is 27.5. and 29" is where the mainstream is going.  I am a dinosaur though, as I ride 26" (and won't abandon hard tail for full suspension.)    29" is promoted as faster  and more stable, but meh.   And sorry for going off on a tangent. I mention the size in case you ever need to replace components/parts. 27.5 is the universal size now. 29" may present some option limitations, and of course, very few options left for the change resistant 26 inchers like me clinging to the glory days of the 80"s and 90's. All that said, looks lovely.  

I've been riding a hardtail 27.5 inch wheel B Twin Rockrider for 2 years now - it was only 15,000 THB, but has hydraulic brakes and decent equipment, and I've not managed to break it yet.  And yes, tubes are easy to get for 27.5, but I think 29 is becoming more common?

I was tbinking of bringing my old, but still mint 26 inch wheeled Klein full suspension from home - I moved overseas for work just after buying it new, so it's had little use, but the Decathon full suss bike may be a better option, especially ss there's no chance of flying home this year.

Decathlon are on a bit of a roll at the moment with their new bike /[brand] offerings. The Rockrider/Triban/BTwin ranges may not set the world on fire, but always represent great value. And the new Van Rysel road bikes are getting great reviews.

This AM100S Rockrider looks interesting. The previous version was pretty much considered a dog. The latest version looks to have been totally reworked by someone who actually rides "All Mountain"; short stem, wide bars and the head angle slackened to 66deg. Details are sketchy, but it looks like they've thankfully dropped the [silly for an AM anyway] remote suspension hoohaa and included a remote dropper post - that'll be the left bar lever the OP saw.

The rear shock looks like a Manitou McLeod which I know zero about, but is probably okay. I think I'd look at rotating the shock 180deg to avoid pinched fingers when making adjustments on the fly. The Rockshox 35 RL apparently uses a basic version of the respected debonair spring, so is very likely the best fork at that price point. Rockshox/Fox vs Manitou? I used to love my old Manitou Dorado DH forks, but the company continued downhill[!] and into receivership. The resurrection by Hayes doesn't seem to have been a roaring success so far.

The SRAM NX drivetrain might be agricultural compared to Shimano, but will keep working in the mud. Lastly, given the unsophisticated single pivot suspension set up, 29er is probably the way to go to help with rolling over obstacles.

Overall, looks like a steal at that price point.

Edit: I see the OP photo shows High Roller II tyres! Amazing.

Edited by bobfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1