Anybody successful using Embassy letter for special extension as spring-board for a 1-year extension of stay?

Hi,

Anybody successful using the Embassy letter for a special 30-day extension as spring-board for a 1-year extension of stay?

I have not yet come across reports of applicants using the Embassy issued letter for the 'special' 30-day extension of stay, AND THEN USING THAT permission to stay to apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

There is at least one report from a TVF-member where his IO (HatYai) warned him that applying for that 'special' 30-day extension of stay with an Embassy letter, would bar him from obtaining any later 'regular' extensions.

So reports of people successfully doing that or being denied further regular extension-applications would be very welcome.

Also please mention the specific IO where you applied/enquired.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Nobody? Really?

Nobody yet, as can be expected.

If somebody has the money seasoned, he doesn't need to apply for an extension with an embassy letter, he would directly apply for a one year extension.

If somebody has to wait until his money is seasoned, then he didn't apply for the one year extension yet, because the money isn't seasoned yet.

You will have to wait until after 26th September to find somebody who did what you are asking for.

• Thanks 1

I spoke with an immigration lawyer a couple of days ago. She said that based on what she has been told by the immigration authorities, extension by embassy letter would not deter application for a non-O visa. That is, if the process is started within 14 days of the extension stamp's expiration date. She said she has confirmed this and would let me know if she found out anything different, FWIW.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhateverDude said:

I spoke with an immigration lawyer a couple of days ago. She said that based on what she has been told by the immigration authorities, extension by embassy letter would not deter application for a non-O visa. That is, if the process is started within 14 days of the extension stamp's expiration date. She said she has confirmed this and would let me know if she found out anything different, FWIW.

There have been a couple of people already who have applied for a 30-day extension with embassy letter. The application is taken under consideration, with a report back date to confirm the updated permission to stay too late to apply for the in country visa before the 15-day limit.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Nobody yet, as can be expected.

If somebody has the money seasoned, he doesn't need to apply for an extension with an embassy letter, he would directly apply for a one year extension.

If somebody has to wait until his money is seasoned, then he didn't apply for the one year extension yet, because the money isn't seasoned yet.

You will have to wait until after 26th September to find somebody who did what you are asking for.

Thanks for response.

There were reports of some IOs where applicants were being denied their application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa or for a 1-year extension of stay because their Amnesty-extended permission to stay was not considered a 'valid' permission to stay.  Hence the 'free stamp' to regularize their stay and make them eligible for the Visa or extension application, but that free stamp seems not to be nation-wide practice (it is in the Bangkok area, but in up-country IOs it is met with blank stares).

So it is well possible that such applicants did apply for the Embassy letter in order to get that 'special' 30-day extension of stay, which they believe would allow them to subsequently apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  I hope that's indeed the case, but am not sure whether all IOs would allow it (e.g. the HatYai refusal to do this).

Anyway, today is last day to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (as it needs at least 15 days left on the permission to stay when applying for it).  So those on a VE or TR entry with no regular short-stay extension left, might have tried using the Embassy letter-route already.

And applying for a 1-year extension can be done from 30 days before till last day of the permission to stay, so some might have already tried that too (or at least enquired about it).

> Any reports of actual applications or enquiries (and IOs where successful or denied) are welcome to shine some light on this.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

There have been a couple of people already who have applied for a 30-day extension with embassy letter. The application is taken under consideration, with a report back date to confirm the updated permission to stay too late to apply for the in country visa before the 15-day limit.

Thanks!  If I read/understand this correctly, it looks that for those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry, that it is indeed possible to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa using the Embassy letter.  So in those cases the Embassy letter is somewhat like the 'free stamp' (no Embassy letter required) to regularize your permission to stay status and apply for the Non Imm O Visa.

Are there any reports from applicants on a Me Non Imm O Visa that already used their 60-day extension needing such Embassy letter supported special 30-day extension to apply for the 1-year extension of stay?  E.g. because their IO refuses to handle their application when not on a 'valid' permission to stay, or them needing the time to meet the 2-month seasoning requirement of their funds.

I went to the Jomtien IO today to inquire about the 30 days extension with a letter from embassy. Was handed a paper with the required documents,  2 copies of everything. 
Front desk couldn't tell if I could get retirement visa while on that extension so got a ticket for the retirement officers. Was whisked into dragon lady's office very quickly. She said it was NOT possible to get a retirement visa if on an embassy letter extension. I would have to leave the country and get a new visa to apply for that. 

Does anyone know how long I would have to live in girlfriend's rural province before I could apply for a retirement visa there? And are IOs in non-tourist provinces just as bad? There are hardly any agents there to funnel the bribes through. 

• Thanks 1