Govt gives Bt1.9bn boost to organic farming

webfact

Govt gives Bt1.9bn boost to organic farming

By The Nation

800_ad79aed38f7fc21.jpg

File photo

The government will spend Bt1.9 billion from the 2021 budget to boost organic farming in Thailand. The money will fund development of 209 agricultural projects, government deputy spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek announced on Thursday.

The committee tasked with promoting organic agriculture also endorsed an organic action plan for 2017-2022, she added.

The plan calls for collaboration between seven ministries to achieve three goals for the organic sector: R&D for agriculture, creation of new products and services, and developing markets for the products.

Ratchada said the global market for organic produce is worth more than US$100 billion (Bt3.1 trillion) and is growing at a rate of 20 per cent per year.

The key organic markets are Europe, North America, China, Australia and Southeast Asia. The organic market in Thailand is worth about Bt3 billion annually.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394327

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The plan calls for collaboration between Seven ministries to achieve three goals for the organic sector: R&D for agriculture, creation of new products and services, and developing markets for the products.

Meetings.  More Meetings !   Call the caterers !

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 1

When my wife and I are over in Thailand we run a mushroom farm, We are certified organic and we maintain we use no chemicals and make 100% organic mushrooms, But when we sell to the market and a factory who supplies to Makro we get the same price.

I try to tell my wife we should be getting more but Thais see a mushroom and they know the going rate and will not pay more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

You may get a few surprises if you bother to look into it!

I plan on visiting some farms, and talk to the owners to see for myself, and then buy directly from them.  My wife runs a dozen food shops, so she could also buy organic