Brexit brinkmanship: EU orders UK to scrap plan for treaty breach, UK refuses

webfact

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

Strange, you have never mentioned your pension before.

now THAT is really sarcasm  I presume ????  but I amsure if you would know the figure on it , sarcasm would change to envy ….????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Two topical updates from HMG:

This is the Government’s legal position on the UK Internal Market Bill (“the Bill”) which was introduced on 9 September.

HMG Legal Position: UKIM Bill and Northern Ireland Protocol

& here's the other...

The Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee met today at Lancaster House, London. The meeting was chaired by the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Michael Gove, and the European Commission Vice President, Maroš Šefčovič, alongside the co-chairs of the Committee, the Paymaster General, Penny Mordaunt, and Michel Barnier. Representatives from the Northern Ireland Executive and the EU 27 Member States also joined by videolink.

This meeting was an opportunity for both parties to set out their positions. Vice President Šefčovič detailed the European Union’s concerns, and requested that the UK withdraw the UK Internal Market Bill. The UK Government made clear that the legislative timetable for the Bill would continue as planned.

The UK Government reiterated its commitment to implementing the Withdrawal Agreement, including the Northern Ireland Protocol. The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster updated the Committee on the significant steps already taken to implement the protocol, with investment to support Northern Ireland businesses and new IT systems. The UK Government also stressed its obligations to the citizens of Northern Ireland, its determination to uphold the constitutional status of Northern Ireland within the UK, and its responsibility to provide good governance for the whole United Kingdom. As co-guarantor, along with Ireland, of the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement, the Government’s commitment to that agreement remains absolute.....

Meeting of the Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee on 10 September

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

People here are talking about it going to "international courts". Could anyone suggest which court it would go to, bearing in mind any international court worth its salt would have to be truly independent - which rather removes any of the "European Courts" from the equation!

It is all about sovereignty isn't it? For me and many the whole bloody business, going back to the Maastricht Treaty and beyond, is all about sovereignty. The UK took back it's sovereignty and now it is exercising it. Domestic opponents can tick and winge, but the fact remains that they lost the various referendum and elections which led to this government being formed, with a primary purpose of taking us out of the UK.  European enthusiasts can tick and winge but the fact remains that the UK decided, through a democratic process, to take back that sovereignty and leave the EU. The UK's supreme court has ruled that Parliament cannot be bound by its predecessors signatures on treaties, that is a very clear UK constitutional point, and always has been. On matters of sovereignty Parliament is supreme, and is not bound by any other body or court, domestic, European or "International".

if any, it would have to be the one in The Hague, file a case before Xmas and you might get some feedback

within 3 years, (and; there are no sanctions available)

I hope the international law nutters on here note your comments on sovereignty and supremacy,

as of 1st January and hangover, UK law rules in UK and the national assembly and the cabinet are responsible to UK law,

not some odd treaty text

(a couple of exceptions exist)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Lol - suggesting an acceptance of democracy embodies an acceptance of 'our' leaders. Core to the democract principle is that our leaders are accountable to their people - both the remainers and leavers - all are equal! And when they act like cretins who push their own political ideologies as singluar and factual and then proceed to make a complete mess of their ideologies and promises to people during their campagins to make them leaders, an insult actually seems to be a rather light rebuke. If I had been as cavalier in my approach to my job, my employer would have handed me my P45 the very next day I walked through the office door. 

I think what you misunderstand is that despite me wishing the UK to remain, I have nothing invested in it either way. However, the UK government (s) - May and Johnson and their little band of merry elves, have been unable to deliver anything to the British public, other than confusion, contradiction and economic uncerteinty. Which you seem to think is the best way to get Brexit done. And that if anything goes wrong it is someone else fault....cause we won the referendum. 

And there you have it, as a remainer the fault always lies at the British and never the EU, someone needs a reality check. Barnier is never going to agree to even start trade negotiations untill we give in to his impossible demands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Yes, but as a firm beleiver in the democratic process and the principles that underpin it, I accept the decision of the majority. However, many who voted to leave seem (it appears) rather disillusioned with the brexit process and the decisons of those who claim to be acting UKs interests, as a soveriegn nation.  Why is that I wonder. Could it be that their promises have turned out to be as shallow and vacuous as those of a snake oil salesperson? and their ability to deliver is just non-existant.  I may have wished the UK to remain in the EU, but having departed the UKs shores many, many years ago (an original Brexiter one might say) I have very little invested in the UK being in or out of the EU. Other than personal opinion. I lost the right to vote on such matters a long time ago.  

I think what Brexit has proven is the the UK and the British people are very easily divided and clearly are not as unified and strong as we like to think we are. A fact you have reinforced with your use of emojis. 

I suppose if you had enough emojis and put them in a line they would stretch across the whole country. Or you could just encircle both London and Glasgow with them?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

And there you have it as a leaver the fault always lies at the EU and never us Brits.

We chose to leave them freely and democratically  Do you actualy think the EU is going to let us leave and still have access to their economic market on terms which we decide and are benificial to us?  - I think you need a reality check my bexiter friend. The EU is a collection of soverign nations (just like the UK) who collectively make decisions based on their collective benifit (just like the UK). 

I don't know as nothing has been discussed yet, Barnier is waiting for us to bend over and think of England.

But while your there do you regret not taking Mays Brino deal?

• Like 2

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Thank you for partially answering what I put. Obviously you didn't read what i said.

What situation has changed. We have a British minister who isn't a remainer and is changing what the previous PM who is a remainer has done and will get it through parliament as law.

What about ignoring referendum results, no answer there.

Once in a lifetime referendum. Waited for 43 years to get a referendum and still won.

No comment there.  Quite selective eh.

Remainers and non Brits up in arms again.

I guess you really don't understand it before the Scots thought the UK would stay in EU that is no longer the case.

Do you really think that decisions can't change when new facts emerge ? Sorry but you make absolutely no sense. When conditions change one can have new votes and referendums. 

If the UK goes down the drain and suddenly wants to come back a new referendum can be held too. Nothing is forever its all about change.

Even I can change my opinion about staying in the EU, and then if enough people think like that we can demand a referendum. There is no such thing as no change.

In this case its clear the Scots like the EU always have and when they voted they did not think the UK would leave the EU. Now that has changed so they can leave if they want.

Not sure why you don't understand such things. Have you ever owned a company ? If so I would be even more surprised that you don't understand. Maybe you been in employment of one employer your whole life and rigid in your thinking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You’re pretty much alone with your creative definition of what constitutes good and bad faith. You could as well claim that elephants are small and green. You’re just ridiculing yourself, as so so often. Good luck finding an international court agreeing with you. 

It really depends on your interpretation of bad (or good) faith). He is not alone. The EU have been trying to dictate the divorce rules since the referendum, first with their priorities and sequencing of the WA negotiations and now with this weak charade that is supposed to end up with a trade agreement. Article 50 does not grant the EU the right for this bullying - the EU just assumed to do it - and they got away with it for so long, with the complicity of the UK PM and CS of the day (2016-2019), 

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1