Brexit brinkmanship: EU orders UK to scrap plan for treaty breach, UK refuses

webfact

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

So no. As a UK EU enthusiast I - and many others like me - believe that the UK should leave the EU in accordance with the referendum result. All I ask in return is that my government respects its obligations and abides by the rule of rule. It appears that this is too much to ask of Johnson and his cronies.

I am a Brexiteer but I fully agree with your comment. However, it is not one-sided. The EU have significantly contributed to this debacle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

You raise a very good point. If the EU, as has been mooted I believe, were to start blockading, punitive tariffs or otherwise preventing trade with the UK, then we could hardly be expected to allow free and unfettered passage of goods through the Uk to the Republic of Ireland. I know that there are ferry routes from Ireland to Europe, but i am sure that the vast majority of traffic between continental Europe and the Republic of Ireland comes via the UK "land bridge".

St Malo  France is the default capital of Eire,as from Jan 1

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

I don't for one minute think that it will come to this, but if the EU and UK were to enact an embargo on each other's products there would be only one 'winner'.

No doubt the RoI would suffer greatly and the rest of the EU member states would take 'hits', but this would pale into insignificance against the hurt which would be suffered by the UK. For example, 30% of the food consumed in the UK originates in the EU, an amount which is far too large to replace overnight. This might mean a return to the good old days of food rationing!   (Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply)

Nah! this is Irish talk,  food already being stockpiled,     1000 tonnes of Idaho spuds already earmarked

Eire will suffer mightily,the EU know it,cost them a fortune,but thanks to that the EU will cave in

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I am a Brexiteer but I fully agree with your comment. However, it is not one-sided. The EU have significantly contributed to this debacle.

If you are referring to the trade talks, then I agree. Imo the EU does have to change its position on fishing rights (as does the UK on the level playing field). 

However, the issue here is the Withdrawal Agreement which has been agreed to, and signed by, both parties. This Agreement stands alone. There is no reason for Johnson to renege on it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RayC said:

I don't for one minute think that it will come to this, but if the EU and UK were to enact an embargo on each other's products there would be only one 'winner'.

No doubt the RoI would suffer greatly and the rest of the EU member states would take 'hits', but this would pale into insignificance against the hurt which would be suffered by the UK. For example, 30% of the food consumed in the UK originates in the EU, an amount which is far too large to replace overnight. This might mean a return to the good old days of food rationing!   (Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply)

I wasn't suggesting that the UK initiate any action.  I was suggesting that if the EU initiate any action ( a suggestion reported in at least one broadsheet newspaper today) then the route to Ireland through the UK would almost certainly be affected.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robblok said:

answered your question, you obviously have no idea 

Where is the answer for this for starters.

"Unlike Holland and Ireland, referendums in the UK are not ignored. But also many people like me believe we shouldn't have another one because they didn't like the result"

I see you are an expert now on Brexit and British issues.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

And meanwhile the UK continues to get new trade deals in record quick times. Once we have Canada, Australia and NZ on board the EU might finally start taking us seriously.

Unsurprisingly today's agreement with Japan is not making the main headlines on any of the main TV / radio stations.

UK and Japan agree historic free trade agreement

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-japan-agree-historic-free-trade-agreement

Yep that 0.07% is awesome. 

LMAO

Oh and just to counter any falsehood conspiracy theory bs that the major news sources are ignoring the carbon copy of the EUs trade deal with Japan, here’s a couple of articles. 

UK signs first major post-Brexit trade deal with Japan https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54116606

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/11/uk-government-historic-trade-deal-japan-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am hoping for a deal, but this whole 'breaking an international agreement' is a whole load of horse manure. 

I remember being in Japan last year when Trump threw out the The Trans-Pacific Partnership that Obama had agreed a few years earlier. Not a single feacal plop was done. 

The Paris Climate accord treaty also broken. 

Kyoto protocol also broken. 

If the EU really want to hurt the UK, all they have to do is threaten them with a block on importing their goods. That would seriously <deleted> the UK up. 

The problem with the UK, is they have no room for negotiation or bargaining. Any attempts to go down a hardcore no deal route would mean the short term destruction would be horrific. So far the EU have played nice (most likely because they don't want to alienate the UK population who in generations to come may look to rejoin), and i am not sure if they would be inclined to get nasty by banning all UK goods (which they have threatened to do this morning with soundbites) - but if they did the UK would be screwed.

It's a posturing isn't it. The UK want to play hardball. Ireland are just an excuse to keep the UK tied closely. But the UK really screwed up by the delicate situation of Ireland. 

Is Ireland still an issue though for people in Ireland? 

Essentially we are back to where we were last year. I can't quite fathom what the point of the year long period is from last year to now is all about. 

Edited by AndrewMciver

11 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Yes, immediately... 

Pity we did not listen to Charles de Gaulle, and did ever join these treacherous British... even a ratification of the British Parliament does not hold 9 months...

Would that have been the same Charles De Gaulle who liberated France in 1944, with a little bit of help from "Les Anglo Saxons" on the fringes of the whole business?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/11/brexit-news-deal-eu-boris-johnson-withdrawal-agreement-brussels/

Amy Jones, Political Correspondent

11 September 2020 • 3:44pm

Brexit latest news:

Boris Johnson to address Tory MPs in attempt to head off growing backbench rebellion 
The Prime Minister will urge backbenchers to support his controversial plans to override the Brexit divorce deal this evening, as MPs plan to rebel over controversial new legislation....

He still has 50 seat majority  

Ireland ,as Boris has stated are chock a block   of useful idiots   no more so than now

Edited by izod10

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

Unfortunately leaving the EU has not had and will not have any effect on this issue. Shame so many people voted leave on an issue that the EU has no control over.

would say denying access to financial means,denying access to accommodation,foodbanks even.  The new financial bill about to become law ,    Id say one step away from ID cards will cause the illegals to throw up and clear off