Brexit brinkmanship: EU orders UK to scrap plan for treaty breach, UK refuses

webfact

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Gove yes but Cummings no. 

Cummings is not brave enough to put his name to a bill which breaks international law.

That sleekit Gove on the other hand. He will probably champion this and then suddenly find he has to leave the country so is unable to vote for it.

Leave Johnson facing the music.

You cannot be serious! Its got Cummings mitts all over it. Cummings never puts his name on anything, he's got Boris the glove puppet for that.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:46 AM, robblok said:

Thailand never had a name for being trustworthy. Could be expected from countries like this. The UK used to have a good reputation. If you can't see the difference something clearly is wrong.

You seem to be taking this all quite personally. Very much out of proportion not only to the issue but the impact on yourself.

49 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Philippe Sands QC, a professor of international law at University College London, said: “Every international lawyer is familiar with the Vienna convention on the law of treaties, and its article 27, which reflects a general principle: ‘A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty’.

“There is simply no way around this binding rule – to opine that parliament is sovereign is, in this sense, hopeless.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/11/brexit-override-plan-would-breach-vienna-convention-qc-says

Is Johnson now going to pull the UK out of the Vienna convention?

bloody hell, abut time you and other treaty treaty nutters on here get real

which countries are adhering to the treaty treaty as gospel and letter by letter?

Wonderland? yes

Fantasyland? yes

Fairyland? yes

any other lands? hardly

international law is pretty soft stuff

its adhered to as long as it suits

and!!!

its not a question of UK jumping the bandwagon, its about selective application

(the softness in nature is sometimes pretty useful and not all negative,

to the extent "members" agree you can bend things a looong way to achieve mega results quick quick)

Edited by melvinmelvin
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed and its not the UK that has the upper hand but the EU. Sometimes I think the leavers still live in bygone age when the UK was a powerhouse. 

Strange comment. I must say that I tend not to like the British or their country. But I can see that this move for independence has every chance of making things better for them. It will give Britain, a relatively small country with limited military reach, the opportunity for nimble movement in foreign affairs. It will be able to strategically position itself to its own benefit economically and diplomatically far more quickly than the overstuffed Goliath that is the EU. Once again, it may gain outsized influence in international affairs. That is something the Dutch and Belgians used to be able to achieve before they became little more than a toll booth for trade between Germany and the UK. I only wish that my state likewise would secede from the Colossus weighing down its opportunities in North, Central, and South America.

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

No, its what makes your statement a misnomer.

In which case;

- Quotas no longer apply to ???????? (let's not split hairs over a few weeks) &

- Economic migrants are neither refugees or seeking genuine asylum & should not be allowed to abuse the system as seen of late; especially when taxpayers () are picking up the tab. 

I didn't think i'd need to spell it out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Britain, a relatively small country with limited military reach, the opportunity for nimble movement in foreign affairs

Really. 6th largest economy in the world. Only one of 2 European nations with nuclear armaments.

You seriously underrate us.

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No you never. I understand English is not your first language and you do very well. But you did not explain it at all.

Really I could use other words but you would probably take offence.

How flexible do you have to be 43 years waiting for a referendum and so many times people tried to get a vote.

Just so you know as you are new to these threads on brexit. i am not against Europe or the countries just the EU and what is stands for and what it has morphed into from the EEC.

Well that's the reason some are giving. how ironic that posters are shouting about the UK leaving the EU but are supporting Scotland leaving the UK which has been part of a union for a far lot longer.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and if your happy to remain and have the freedoms and liberties taken away from you by the EU, well good luck.

Nothing more to say.

I do agree with you about the fact that the EU became to involved in politics  but I love the one market and commercial stuff. You can insult me if you want, im not pulling any punches either. But I don't see it as personal. Its just my debating style in reality im quite mellow. 

What you find ironic is true but it works two ways you guys want to leave the EU and did (fine by me i might not agree with it but you did). Now give the Scots the same choice. That would be fair you can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Really. 6th largest economy in the world. Only one of 2 European nations with nuclear armaments.

You seriously underrate us.

The UK certainly is not a small country but alone its not that big if you compare it to the EU or US or China or any of the other large blocks. Then it becomes a non major player. I do think the UK has a good military. (better as the Dutch anyway not that that says much we are small and insignificant that is why its good to be part of a larger block)

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

its not that big if you compare it to the EU or US or China or any of the other large blocks.

"or any of the other larger blocks"? Russia and then who? US Russia and China have large well equipped armies and then who? UK I would argue. Not the biggest but by far the best trained. Size isn't everything.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

"or any of the other larger blocks"? Russia and then who? US Russia and China have large well equipped armies and then who? UK I would argue. Not the biggest but by far the best trained. Size isn't everything.

I was not talking military but economically. I looked at importance of trade blocks and stuff. Not the military. I have no idea how well the UK ranks. The USA and China and Russia can certainly beat them. Not sure if there are others who can. 

Sorry I should have been clearer in my reply.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was not talking military but economically. I looked at importance of trade blocks and stuff. Not the military. I have no idea how well the UK ranks. The USA and China and Russia can certainly beat them. Not sure if there are others who can. 

Sorry I should have been clearer in my reply.

On those grounds, its the 6th largest economy in the world.

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

On those grounds, its the 6th largest economy in the world.

Yes but look at the trade blocks that are formed. Just compare the UK to the EU for instance.. or other trading blocks. Countries that together have a bigger economy then the UK. When your out on your own trading wise the bigger parties have more power. 

https://www.exportgenius.in/blog/10-major-regional-trading-blocs-of-the-world-236.php

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Yes but look at the trade blocks that are formed. Just compare the UK to the EU for instance.. or other trading blocks. Countries that together have a bigger economy then the UK. When your out on your own trading wise the bigger parties have more power. 

We are currently in a major trading block, the EU. Why do you think the smart people didn't want to leave?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

have the freedoms and liberties taken away from you by the EU,

The E.U. seems to be  very selective. 

So apparently they took away freedoms and liberties in the Netherlands, but not in Belgium. 

Never understood this E.U. thing. 

Good that so far it didn't, in no way, change my daily life as a  Belgian pensionner. 

Well not really, there was a huge change : the implementation of the Euro. 

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

We are currently in a major trading block, the EU. Why do you think the smart people didn't want to leave?

Why do you think it was the smart people that didn't want to leave? 

I think it fair to say that anyone that agrees with you is smart, yes? 

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The E.U. seems to be  very selective. 

So apparently they took away freedoms and liberties in the Netherlands, but not in Belgium. 

Never understood this E.U. thing. 

Good that so far it didn't, in no way, change my daily life as a  Belgian pensionner. 

Well not really, there was a huge change : the implementation of the Euro. 

We dodged the Euro. I can't think of any way that it changed my life for anything but the better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

We dodged the Euro. I can't think of any way that it changed my life for anything but the better.

Smart people all know that you would not be able to think of anything, because there is no real way of knowing what might have been had there not been a EU.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I live permanently in Thailand. 

I know how much Baht I receive for my Euro. 

I have no idea how much I should receive if Belgium was out of the E.U., and still dealing in Belgian Franc. 

Being a small country, with a lot of political problems, and not that great economy, I think it wouldn't be that great. 

• Like 2