Typical Thai Answers to Questions - Do You Have Other Examples

Thomas J

After 30+ years living here my eyes are permanently rolled up and my arms are both in the air also permanently having given up on getting a coherent and to the point answers from the locals,

mind you though, the locals are pretty happy is receiving such vogue answers, doesn't bother them the least...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Me: This product is out of stock, will you get more in
Thai: Don't have now, product is out of stock

Me: What is the difference between the various models of this car
Thai:  Each one get more expensive

Me I know they get more expensive, what do you get that make each level of model more expensive
Thai: More Options

Me: My car needs service only have 12,000 km
Thai: Your car have over 10,000 Km you can not get 10,000 km service

Me: Ok which service level can I get
Thai: You can get 20,000 km or 30,000 km service package

Me: Ok what is the difference between the packages
Thai: One you get at 20,000 km the other at 30,000 km 

27 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I wanted a USB memory stick from the local printing school supplies shop. No. We sold them all so I didn't buy anymore.

And this is why it is called "Land of Smiles" :biggrin:

35 minutes ago, ezzra said:

After 30+ years living here my eyes are permanently rolled up and my arms are both in the air also permanently having given up on getting a coherent and to the point answers from the locals,

mind you though, the locals are pretty happy is receiving such vogue answers, doesn't bother them the least...

Such vogue answers are so fashionabale they are ...in Vogue.

I have long learnt the farang square peg in round holes leads to unecessary headaches.I used to foolishly ask when certain items would be in stock after the inevitable "no have" I would gently ask when they would like to do some business and take my money , the inevitable answer reminds  of politicians with their , presently, in the fullness in time, at the appropriate time, here an even simpler one day.

4 vehicles and 2 buildings done I have realized the locals won't change so I have either have to get bothered are far more relaxing go with the flow.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

neeranam

The examples I gave were spoken in Thai by my fiance. 

That explains it all -- your wife doesn't really want to take the time to bother w/explanations that won't get you anywhere so she tells you the first thing that comes to her mind... 

I speak Thai and have heard Thai people do this... it is just a time/aggravation saver...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Me: This product is out of stock, will you get more in
Thai: Don't have now, product is out of stock

The answer is - - ' I don't know' - but Thai feel it is not a good answer - they don't like to admit they don't know something as they want to be seen as being helpful... 

it is a cultural thing... as you learn the culture [and that it is not the same as kansas] things will make more sense.. 

• Like 1

If this product is out of stock so often, for months in a row, and every time you restock it, it sells out immediately, why don't you guys order more of it next time, knowing how good a seller it is?

Too difficult to keep in stock.

Cannot get. 

Manager think too much work.

How can we know it will sell next time?

You think too much!

• Haha 2

You get good answers too. Just days ago I replaced the battery of my tablet at the Samsung service center in Pattaya. I asked how long the warranty is. 3 months? She answered "No - it is 90 days". I really was impressed. Not often you get such a precise answer. She was right. 3 months and 90 days are not the same.