the neighbors' new puppy: uh-oh

orang37

Appears to be some form of pit-bull with an enormous sized head in proportion to body; he's got one blue-eye, and one eye that suggests some genetic albinism like effect. I think he's under 6 months old (still has his testicles, I  noticed). They have him shut up in a steel-mesh cage about 1x1x1 meter outside the house, out of direct sunlight.

He radiates an intense energy,  this one, and I'd guess he will be left alone a lot.

I don't know anything about this type of dog (nor does the owner who ordered him online), and wonder ... if he is neglected ... if he will get very aggressive.

Needless to say, I will not let the urge to intervene bite me.

~o:37;

I hate all dogs except the one next door which never barks and looks like a sheep

20 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So, Orang37, what exactly is the reason for opening this thread. Other than informative, I don't see any question or complaint or request for comments. Is there more to this you'd like to add? 

Having a go at dogs never gets boring, horrible animals IMO

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like an american bully. 

Its sad that it becomes a fashion to get these dogs when many cant properly look after them.

Even if the steel cage is outdoors it will get very hot in the hot season.

The american bully usually has a good temperament against people. 

They are very powerful and need an outlet for their energy.

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/americanbully.htm

He might be used for breeding, as they can rent him out to other people who has a female. If he is a good specimen. 

Tragic that he has to sit in a box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

does a post have to be a request for comments or a question?  Sometimes its just an observation for others to digest and comment on if they wish, or just take it and file away. Long may they continue. 

I agree until my post about LOS alternatives got shut down..so much for going outside the box----sigh

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, Trujillo said:

So, Orang37, what exactly is the reason for opening this thread. Other than informative, I don't see any question or complaint or request for comments. Is there more to this you'd like to add? 

Probably because there is no rule says he can"t.

• Like 1

The owner may be using the dog as a food reserve. I'm informed by my GF our dog Dorhu is too healthy, and might end up in a village cooking pot if he roams too far. The soi dogs don't get the same attention, too scrawny and diseased.

Apparently it's not just Koreans that eat dogs.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

i think Khun Playyer has identified the breed: American Bully. His linked article includes this:

A persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curb any dog aggressive tendencies. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order. Read Top Dog. The American Bully needs an owner who is firm, but calm, confident and consistent. They need to know what is expected of them; rules to follow and limits to what they are and are not allowed to do. The objective in training and successfully keeping this dog is to achieve pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader; lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success.

I'd say the new owner is very unlikely to provide any "pack order."

There is a kennel rearing, selling, this breed in Chiang Mai, which I will not mention by name because I find selling pups in the 15~30k baht range in this land of abused and neglected dogs revolting ,,, in fact I abhor all trade in animals as "pets" and, no, I am not a vegan, and I love dogs and cats, and birds.

~o:37;

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:15 AM, Dante99 said:

And it may get what it needs.

Sad quantity of negative speculation here.

In general Thais  are  LAZY and take  care  of nothing except  there fantasy  Buddah, its  as  simple  as  that.Having ANY animal is a lot of work, many have switched to cats as they require even LESS   work however all of these  animals  cause problems and expect wildlife to suffer even more ie  frogs birds  etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both Thais and farang here seem to think it's compulsory to keep a dog. Someone builds a house, next thing you know there're two or tnree noisy dogs in the garden and beggar tbe neighbours. They're a curse. Why did the good Lord give them such loud voices?

On 9/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, 2long said:

Sadly, you can't teach or fix stupid.

Having a rabbit or bird in a cage is bad enough, but a dog is just so cruel.

I am not a fan of pitbulls, but I do love all dogs and they (for some strange reason) like me. Soi dogs are cool, as long as you interact with them in the right way.

There's not much you can do in this case, because TIT.

If you see people being cruel to animals, you can report it to the local police by calling 191 or report it to the Tourist Police by calling their hotline at 1155.

The criminal code clearly states: Article 381, “Those who commit cruelty to animals shall be sentenced to one month in prison or a fine of 1,000 baht or both.” Article 382, “Those who force an animal to work beyond its capacity or cause injury to an animal shall be sentenced to one month in prison or a fine of 1,000 baht or both.”

Please call 191 or 1155 and police will be dispatched to the scene. We mostly fine the offender(s).

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Confused 1