Don’t risk an overstay: Foreigners in Thailand urged to renew ‘visas’ BEFORE 26 Sept

rooster59

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

Why is it no longer possible to get a volunteer visa without volunteering or an educational visa without going for education?

I recall reading must be submitted 15 days prior which would be to late 

to file now..

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

well said . if you have retirement visa and you are within the expiry date you do not come under the amnesty  i cant why this is not understood 

Maybe because they (Immigration) actually say this:

The Immigration Bureau has announced that all kinds of long and short term visas can be extended at immigration offices nationwide from now until the 26 September. 

All visas will start their validity from the 27th of this month and all those on long term visas of any kind will receive extensions valid from September 27th. 

I'm the last one to be surprised if it actually are so because it will give Immigration better overview/control with every foreigner in country allowed to stay from a specific date.

Btw, where is the order saying that it not include retirement visas/extensions?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

My new English neighbour renting the house opposite is under the amnesty. I asked him if he'd got a new visa yet (his plan was to get a volunteer visa) but he said no, he was waiting to see what happens. He's expecting the government to extend the amnesty again, I guess. As I understand it, he's left it too late now to get a volunteer visa, he's in his forties and reasonably fit so I doubt he'd get a medical visa, and there are flights back to the UK every week so he can't get a letter from the embassy to say that he can't return. I wonder what his plan is now?

he still can this week.  Several agencies are providing the service.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I recall reading must be submitted 15 days prior which would be to late 

to file now..

I'm on amnesty and you would be right, I'm going through the Ed visa route and my paperwork had to be in by 10/9 and i have an appointment on 25/9 to receive the stamp. Didnt pay too much on top of the lessons (mine is an actual course)

Was offered all sorts of volunteer (dont have to do anything)  no class requirement ones but If i was paying for a course I want to actually have the option to attend it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering, how many types of visas this country have? i guess like 2 dozens and even more,

the day that this country will streamline their visas type that will be the day they send home half of the people that work in immigration centers in the country and confusing will be minimized...

Stranded tourists are either on a 15 days VOA, a 30 days visa exempt or 60 days TR. The rest of the "stranded" are most likely on 90 days ME Visas. Some are on Non-B and Non-ED. This is not so many types. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

This again is just a big push to get people out of the country. They did not say NO amnesty again,just don't let the door hit you in the back side on the way out. Another amnesty this week for sure?

Stranded tourists September 26 have had 6 months of free permission to stay. What are you complaining about? You do know that you can leave the country almost every day? Maybe going to Australia is still off limit, but that's all. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Then why not open the borders so foreigners can go get a visa to stay in Thailand? Until then let us have a visa amnesty. Tourists trapped in Thailand are spending money. Expats without visa's are waiting to cross the border to renew their visa. Why create this panic which makes people desperate and looking for all means to find a solution to stay. It's just crazy. Lay off, we're going through a global pandemic, we'll sort our visas out when you open up your borders again.

In a perfect world this would make a lot of sense.But we only live in Paradise?

12 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Then why not open the borders so foreigners can go get a visa to stay in Thailand? Until then let us have a visa amnesty. Tourists trapped in Thailand are spending money. Expats without visa's are waiting to cross the border to renew their visa. Why create this panic which makes people desperate and looking for all means to find a solution to stay. It's just crazy. Lay off, we're going through a global pandemic, we'll sort our visas out when you open up your borders again.

does your country show the same courtesy to tourists and expired visa holders presently?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

My friend who has an OA went to the IO last month to do 90 day report they looked at his passport and handed it back to him saying call us on 17 September as we expect to know what’s happening by then his yearly OA expires on that day it appears the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing I expect more announcements in the coming days I cannot see why they just cannot give another 3 months amnesty if 100,000 People leave that’s a fair loss of income to the local economy Whilst people are stuck the saving grace is that they are spending money.

What has your friends O-A Visa got to do with the amnesty? He can extend it another year. 

They've said this before, but who knows.  It's best for everyone to extend it.  Or just have us pay money when we depart.  Easy.  Too many people have to leave, and I guarantee the flights available will not be able to handle the exodus. And it's hard for many Americans to transit and you also need a negative test to transit in Dubai or Qatar.  And borders are closed.  And Thailand needs tourists - bad - so why make us leave.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1