Shipping Beer To Thailand

Jamie

I was thinking of sending a friend some different specialty beers from my state. I checked the FedEx website for prohibited imports but didn't see anything specific to this...except under "Gifts" it says that gift shipments of alcohol are prohibited. I'm not sure why they would say gifts of alcohol are prohibited yet the prohibited list of imports says nothing regarding alcohol.

I was thinking of sending a friend some different specialty beers from my state. I checked the FedEx website for prohibited imports but didn't see anything specific to this...except under "Gifts" it says that gift shipments of alcohol are prohibited. I'm not sure why they would say gifts of alcohol are prohibited yet the prohibited list of imports says nothing regarding alcohol.

So, if it says , in one section, that alcohol imports are prohibited,why then would you expect to find that they are permitted under another section?

Mayhap you have difficulty in translating English into American??

Thanks for the smart comment. It specifically says in the listed items that are prohibited NOTHING about alcohol. A small blurbwithin a large paragraph stating it's prohibited as a gift. "Mayhap" if you don't have something constructive to add, you shouldn't.

Edited by Jamie

Oh sorry, I meant to add I'm no lawyer...wait, I am a lawyer but I'm not a good one--just read my posts.

I've always brought in scotch or other liquor up to about four liters, always disclosed and never had a problem. But maybe different for shipping as opposed to carrying in?

I'm no expert on this but I would have thought sending in any quantity of alchohol, or any other commodity, you are in effect importing it into country and without an import licence you are breaking the law.

Hand carrying it through customs you are permitted up to a set limit for personal consumption. Whether that "personal" consumption is by you or another party is irrelevant, the quantity is set to make it uneconomical as a business.

I'm no expert on this but I would have thought sending in any quantity of alchohol, or any other commodity, you are in effect importing it into country and without an import licence you are breaking the law.

Hand carrying it through customs you are permitted up to a set limit for personal consumption. Whether that "personal" consumption is by you or another party is irrelevant, the quantity is set to make it uneconomical as a business.

Full on! You need a specific import license for any kind of alcohol and the sole distributorship for Thailand. Not worth the headache if no commercial interest drives you.

Handcarrying is the option of your choice!