Worse than Tom Yam Kung crisis - Thai tourism is "seriously wounded"

webfact

47 minutes ago, fangless said:

Apart from the ending to a prayer what does "amen" have to do with this topic?

i think it was a way to say ''it's over'', as you say it's the ending of a prayer

i have just re-used the term used by Scammer in his original post (Post 47 page 4)

which i was answering to.

i apologize if i have hurted your religious convictions, it was totally unintentional

Edited by kingofthemountain

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Did the shop have big windows?

So that they could see you coming a long way off!

A lot of the places I go don't have windows at all - that way, people cannot see you coming! :sorry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

What an excellent idea it was to rely on Chinese mass tourism.

That was not really an idea, it was the last resort...all other tourists had disappeared already so the only ones left to lure were the chinese...Chinese and Western tourists don't mix well so they better go totally for the chinese.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youlike said:

That was not really an idea, it was the last resort...all other tourists had disappeared already so the only ones left to lure were the chinese...Chinese and Western tourists don't mix well so they better go totally for the chinese.

i would mix extremely well with chinese woman if they knew english

• Like 1

I have been enterprising for a long time and if i would be in the Tourists Industry in Phuket , Koh Samui , Pattaya , Chang Mai , based on the actual proposed " Phuket Plane " from whom only a few might benefit ...  (brake even might at best) , i would close the business . No hope in what the Government is proposing . Good Luck !

5 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Why?

The 1997 crisis was an internal crisis caused by heavy speculation in the baht. The 2020 crisis is an external crisis which has caught Thailand in its web.

The 1997 event didn't stop foreign tourism for a year or more - it encouraged it, as the baht went down to 56 to the dollar.

In short, there was a way out of the 1997 crisis, which is not available now, and will not be, if some experts are to be believed, until late 2021, by which time many parts of the Thai economy will be in ruins.

Holy moly, there are some sane people here!

55 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Holy moly, there are some sane people here!

"The crisis of ’97-99 followed several years of rapid economic growth, capital inflows and build up of debt, which led to an unbalanced economy. In the years preceding the crisis, government borrowing rose, and firms overstretched themselves in a ‘dash for growth.’ When market sentiment changed foreign investors sought to reduce their stake in these Asian economies causing destabilising capital outflows, which caused rapid devaluation and further loss of confidence".

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/glossary/financial-crisis-asia-1997/#:~:text=On 2 July 1997%2C due,get out of Asian currencies.

Don't know whether the problem can really be called an "internal "crisis. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

77kaoded called it a 2 trillion baht hit on tourism and described the sector as "seriously wounded".

It's not unique to Thailand, it's a worldwide issue, many countries rely heavily on tourism, this is going to be felt hard by some.

But Thailand said it's only 12% of the economy so the other 88% will help it recover, unless it's been telling porkies!

Was reading 83% of NY restaurants will be gone. In Oz due to money the government is handing out the full effects of the collapse of tourism are yet to be felt, next year it will be ugly.

In Thailand, tourism isn't coming back any time soon, even though it looks like the virus is burning out in many places the media is still pumping the end of times story, and the ignorant believe it. Unemployment in the West also will be going up, less people will have holiday money. And of course as long as the fear is propagated the quarantines will remain to stop those that would like to travel.

Thailand might be better to bite the bullet, recognize that much of the tourism industry is toast for years and start thinking about how they are going to start creating employment through other means. Of course they face the same challenge that the West does, how to compete against China.

• Like 1

No plan. No action. No clue. Same ol' stupid story in Land Of Silly. Months ago could have come up with a plan to allow all long term visa/extension holders back in...Elite, Marriage, Retirement, Business, Education, etc regardless of where they are from. ALL are being quarantined, tested and required insurance...so no matter of origin. Mandatory insurance and quarantine and testing at the entrants expense. There are thousands of empty hotels and staff that would welcome the business. Many health care and security workers could be put to work. Food services, cooks and delivery services would be busier. Then after getting all those whom can meet those requirements and expense...none of this COE and other flaming hoop jumps, paperwork, nonsense with Thai Embassy/Consulate...THEN start the same type of entry with TOURISTS. 

The way it's going...a full year will have passed and The Land Without A Clue will still be moaning, whining and complaining about how bad things are without foreign money. Then in the next breath, talk about submarines and other silliness while the nation starves, suicides and suffers. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Haha 1