Johnson lashes out at EU as he clears first hurdle for Brexit treaty breach

snoop1130

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

OMG !!!!

We better leave NATO as well. Its always talking about better integration of its member states armed forces.

Being a member of NATO also undermines our sovereignty. 

Mmmmmm sovereignty.

Is your name Pike, from Dad's Army?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Already there mate. I read the relevant chapters - they are not what you claim. Better you go have a read of it too, rather than The Grauniad.  

If you have read the relevant chapters, you have clearly failed to understand them.

I will try and make this simple so even you can understand.

Whilst the Belfast agreement does not specifically mention that there should be no hard border between North and South, the implication is there and that implication has accepted by all parties ever since.

Except for your heroes in the DUP who rejected the whole agreement at the time.

Brexit meant that there was now a land border between a non EU state, the UK, and an EU one, the RoI. Under normal circumstances this would not be a problem. The EU has land borders with many non member states with the appropriate controls at those borders. 

But as stated, the history and politics of the island of Ireland made this simple arrangement impossible, so a solution had to be found. In May's deal this was the backstop, in Johnson's it is the protocol.

Remove that protocol and replace it with nothing means either a hard border or an open one.

The EU would understandably find an open border with a non member state unacceptable; and many British citizens and politicians would find it unacceptable as well. Especially those that support Brexit.

How would you feel about the UK having an open border with the EU which anyone could easily cross with no checks? Wasn't doing away with that one of the main reasons for Leave winning in 2016?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, david555 said:

Than you are not as clever as other brexiteers , I call my self a European now , as the game Brexiteers  like to play the game from divide and rool ….., did not work and shall not work , we 27 can have some differences , but not in this Brexit game , united we are .

And let me now give you latest from Brussels where the opinion is no it shall be a no deal as much we would like different , the expectation  is now for no deal . 

You can hear it very soon on your news and  Sky news 

Shame you didn't do that stuff in 1939, eh.....:whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Again these old-fashioned and irrelevant bluster.

It was Russia that defeated the Nazi army and the Americans who finished the work in Western Europe, mainly to block the Russians.

Without them you would probably be speaking German today.

This in no way detracts from the courage of your fathers who bravely fought the aggressor, like that of all resistance fighters in the occupied countries.

What are you on about, my points are nothing to do with WHO won the war, it is about WHO were complicit in aiding the German government of the day, whether 100% or factions, that is the reason some of you here want to forget that period in time, I don't, because if folk could do then perhaps they could do it again....

1 hour ago, transam said:

I am on about Europe, every aspect of it, and you, as an "anti-Brit" Brit, are looked down upon by me, not that that will affect anything you believe in or say, we had a few of the same ilk during 1939-45 to deal with, didn't we......????

I can understand your fixation with WW2. It was the last time the UK was a significant factor in world events.

Since then it has been a long, slow, painful decline.

Those days are not coming back. The UK is now an insular, backward looking small island.

Get used to it. Most people have.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I can understand your fixation with WW2. It was the last time the UK was a significant factor in world events.

Since then it has been a long, slow, painful decline.

Those days are not coming back. The UK is now an insular, backward looking small island.

Get used to it. Most people have.

The Scottish bloke runs down his country again..A salute sir......

f5bf670dcf1951ac7c8055736470c438.jpg.9986c398c3865c567340388e93a14878.jpg

• Haha 1