Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

If there were any reliable statistics to back up Leaver's claims it might have some validity. 

I would imagine the hotels that are part of the local hoteliers association compile statistics by guest nationality for the Tourism authority, but as we know Western tourists are just as if not more likely to stay at the numerous condo rentals on offer or small independent guesthouses or hotels. These have grown exponentially to meet the increase in Pattaya's popularity. Leaver has himself highlighted the rise of Airbnb's in Pattaya,. so even more arrivals off the official statistical radar.

All I know is Western tourist arrivals have been on the increase to Thailand more or.less every yesr for the last decade based on the most accurate measurement available, point of entry. I've got no reason to believe Pattaya has bucked the trend, especially given the expansion of accomodation and entertainment offerings in the city. The pie has definately been spread thinner with more venues than before, that's just as likely to explain individual experiences than overall Pattaya numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

If there were any reliable statistics to back up Leaver's claims it might have some validity. 

I would imagine the hotels that are part of the local hoteliers association compile statistics by guest nationality for the Tourism authority, but as we know Western tourists are just as if not more likely to stay at the numerous condo rentals on offer or small independent guesthouses or hotels. These have grown exponentially to meet the increase in Pattaya's popularity. Leaver has himself highlighted the rise of Airbnb's in Pattaya,. so even more arrivals off the official statistical radar.

All I know is Western tourist arrivals have been on the increase to Thailand more or.less every yesr for the last decade based on the most accurate measurement available, point of entry. I've got no reason to believe Pattaya has bucked the trend, especially given the expansion of accomodation and entertainment offerings in the city. The pie has definately been spread thinner with more venues than before, that's just as likely to explain individual experiences than overall Pattaya numbers. 

Many articles on the net about it, some on TV.

Here's one.

This was in the low season, but high season wasn't much better.  Way before covid.

You mention the accommodation choices of tourists may skew the stats of hotels, but my observations were from bars and restaurants. 

Articles like this, with comments from Thai's in the industry, plus my own observations, lead me to conclude there simply were less western tourists coming to Pattaya in the last couple of years.  

I accept the tourists stats were up, on the back of Chinese package holiday tourists, but I am commenting on the western tourism market.     

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Many articles on the net about it, some on TV.

Here's one.

This was in the low season, but high season wasn't much better.  Way before covid.

You mention the accommodation choices of tourists may skew the stats of hotels, but my observations were from bars and restaurants. 

Articles like this, with comments from Thai's in the industry, plus my own observations, lead me to conclude there simply were less western tourists coming to Pattaya in the last couple of years.  

I accept the tourists stats were up, on the back of Chinese package holiday tourists, but I am commenting on the western tourism market.     

Like I said I'd be interested on how the numbers quoted are arrived at, the guy in the article doesn't seem sure - somewhere between 20 and 30% in low season, specifically referring to one year. 

No doubt Pattaya's future growth will be driven by the prosperous Asian markets and as per this thread I'm sure the over supply of venues catering to and favoured by the Western market will correct itself as a result of the current situation. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Like I said I'd be interested on how the numbers quoted are arrived at, the guy in the article doesn't seem sure - somewhere between 20 and 30% in low season, specifically referring to one year. 

I would be interested also.  Possibly it's a survey of members of the association.  The members derive their figures based on turnover / profits / sales, and maybe calculated they were down 20% to 30% and state this in their survey.   It only confirmed my observations.  

Edited by Leaver

19 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I just don't see why it matters, as every poor high season has been surpassed by this one .... well apart from high season 1993.

It may be the case that some businesses that are still hanging in there were perhaps destined to fail anyway, yet, they think covid is their only woe.  

I hope people are doing as well as can be expected during 2nd lock down. Sad to see TQ go as it's an historic place and a reminder of the old Pattaya.

Was coming back this month but now hopefully in March to help prop up a few of my regular haunts (seems like most are still going thankfully). At least the exchange rate is better, long time since I've seen 23+ baht to $A

Edited by aussiexpat

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I hope people are doing as well as can be expected during 2nd lock down. Sad to see TQ go as it's an historic place and a reminder of the old Pattaya.

Was coming back this month but now hopefully in March to help prop up a few of my regular haunts (seems like most are still going thankfully). At least the exchange rate is better, long time since I've seen 23+ baht to $A

Did you cancel, or the airline? 

35 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

In reality, I'm waiting until the 2nd covid wave sorts itself out, or not.

So, you'll be back in 2022 then.  ????

37 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

cancelled because I thought Pattaya was doomed and bars were failing

I hope some are still left open for you when you come back.  Might not be many open on Soi 6 though.  

Talking to a friend this morning and he was commenting on the ridiculous state of the entertainment industry. He was in Retox on Saturday night. Had a meal whilst watching the FA Cup games.

He was disappointed that he couldn't have a glass of wine with his meal. And then to add insult to injury at 9PM it shut.Turfing them all out to the street.

Then I told him that although  he couldn't buy alcohol in a restaurant, all the 7-11's, Tesco's etc were selling alcohol  as normal.

We agreed that this might be the last straw for some restaurants as without the profit on alcohol and the fact that some people (like me) dont eat out if they can't have a glass of wine or 2 with their meal.

And as for shuttling at 9pm the mind boggles.

9 hours ago, roger101 said:

Talking to a friend this morning and he was commenting on the ridiculous state of the entertainment industry.

There is a pandemic going on that they are trying to rein in. I ate out recently and as no beer was available I had to have a simple soda water.... I assure you the margins are on that stuff too. Mind you, one was enough whereas usually I will have a few beers, so the restaurants still lose out. 

I think missing a glass of wine or a cold beer will not do any of us harm.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, roger101 said:

We agreed that this might be the last straw for some restaurants as without the profit on alcohol and the fact that some people (like me) dont eat out if they can't have a glass of wine or 2 with their meal.

It will be the last straw, if expats do not support these establishments.  Yes, it's not as pleasant an experience as we would like, but that's through no fault of the management.   

Support them, or lose them.  Then where are you going to go?    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It will be the last straw, if expats do not support these establishments.  Yes, it's not as pleasant an experience as we would like, but that's through no fault of the management.   

Support them, or lose them.  Then where are you going to go?    

Personally, I never drink alcohol with a meal. I use restaurants now more than I ever did. However, a favourite restaurant of mine, Cafe des Amis, has decided to close until they can serve alcohol again as they can't break even without alcohol sales.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, polpott said:

Personally, I never drink alcohol with a meal. I use restaurants now more than I ever did. However, a favourite restaurant of mine, Cafe des Amis, has decided to close until they can serve alcohol again as they can't break even without alcohol sales.

A place like that doesn't have a lot of room to move in lock down.  If they change their menu offerings to cheaper and faster food, it diminishes their brand.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

139537259_3648762188547266_2718250949975915595_n.jpg.27770acfa74d141582134a17abe0d4fb.jpg

Brand new menu....and yet they get the spellings of "Hawaiian" and "Spaghetti" wrong!  TIT ????

Edited by VBF

On 1/14/2021 at 11:57 PM, jacko45k said:

There is a pandemic going on that they are trying to rein in. I ate out recently and as no beer was available I had to have a simple soda water.... I assure you the margins are on that stuff too. Mind you, one was enough whereas usually I will have a few beers, so the restaurants still lose out. 

I think missing a glass of wine or a cold beer will not do any of us harm.

I tend to agree. My favourite "Indian" restaurants here in UK are closed due to Lockdown.

If they were to open but not sell alcohol, I'd still very much enjoy a meal with mates.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

I tend to agree. My favourite "Indian" restaurants here in UK are closed due to Lockdown.

If they were to open but not sell alcohol, I'd still very much enjoy a meal with mates.

2 of my favourite Indians in my home town have never sold alcohol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

2 of my favourite Indians in my home town have never sold alcohol.

Merely out of interest, are they Indian, or Pakistani?

Point of fact, most so-called Indian restaurants in UK are actually Bangladeshi, however were they to be Pakistani, they may be Moslem so choose to avoid handling alcohol.

Sorry if this is :offtopic:for a Thailand forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

Merely out of interest, are they Indian, or Pakistani?

Point of fact, most so-called Indian restaurants in UK are actually Bangladeshi, however were they to be Pakistani, they may be Moslem so choose to avoid handling alcohol.

Sorry if this is :offtopic:for a Thailand forum.

The population of South Asians in my local city is almost exclusively Pakistani. Most from the same village in the Punjab and all having the same surname, Patel. Great food though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, champers said:

I wonder why the Chicken Fried Rice on the Kids Menu is 100 Baht more than on the regular menu.

Actually the 100 baht more on the kids menu is quite reasonable. Just remember everything on the kids menu includes a soft drink and ice cream.

Edited by Watchful

9 hours ago, polpott said:

The population of South Asians in my local city is almost exclusively Pakistani. Most from the same village in the Punjab and all having the same surname, Patel. Great food though.

I heard a joke that relates to your village.

Guy bought a dog for his wife, yorkshire terrier, it was brown and black with a little bit of white, when asked what she'd call it she settled on 'Bradford' - lol

• Like 1