Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

11 hours ago, SidJames said:

I would have thought that a response like that from the boss would a good reason to go back.

I know he changed supplier not soon after the lockdown was released.

Should he not have been aware of the sub-standard food being given to customers before it got out of the kitchen?

On 11/13/2020 at 6:52 AM, luckyluke said:

Wednesday noon, Diana Arcade, exactly 1 customer in the all place( at Kiss), one visitor ( me). 

Saw the works at Don Pepe ( ex  Big Horn) doesn't seem the owner is sparing money on the rebuilding. 

Came from Witerspoons Beach Road, where I was the only customer too, till a couple (Thai/foreigner) came in and went to the upperfloor. 

Sad situation. 

This will be the case throughout "high season" and for the foreseeable future. 

Some well known places that have remained open may survive, whilst others will close.

Some new places opened during covid may well close, before really making a start.    

On 11/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, luckyluke said:

I am not very good in explaining,

at the end of Pattaya Klang, on the corner.

Witherspoons pub, Pattaya Beach Road, Thailand, Southeast Asia, a play on  the name of the British Wetherspoons chain of pubs Stock Photo - Alamy

Eventually went there the other day, upstairs is a nice spot, the one lady on duty is friendly enough, but at around 90 for a small bottle I don't see many moving from Buakhao. 

However once the ravening hordes are back I think it will do OK. Whether that includes making a profit and justifying the investment is to be seen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Eventually went there the other day, upstairs is a nice spot, the one lady on duty is friendly enough, but at around 90 for a small bottle I don't see many moving from Buakhao. 

However once the ravening hordes are back I think it will do OK. Whether that includes making a profit and justifying the investment is to be seen. 

Wetherspoons  put very little money into this restaurant... The Chinese seafood place before them are the ones who did the vast majority of the remodeling, which was only a few years old...

33 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Wetherspoons  put very little money into this restaurant... The Chinese seafood place before them are the ones who did the vast majority of the remodeling, which was only a few years old...

The rent at that location would not be cheap. 

Going to have to have a lot of "bums on seats" throughout opening hours, not just at sunset, just to be able to pay the rent, not to mention other overheads.  Eg. staff, electric etc.  

Then, there's key money etc to recoup, all before 1 baht of profit can be made.

Can you see that amount of turn over any time soon?  

On 11/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, dabhand said:

Thanks for your response. Have no doubt that your noted experience is a genuine memory. I do recall that a number of private companies operated the Bangkok-Pattaya service and the Nipa Hotel link may well have been one such option.

My memory is linked with the Ekamai bus terminal to Pattaya service with the Pattaya end being as I noted. I have a distinct memory of catching the bus at Pattaya in 1988 when my departure coincided with the Seoul Olympics 100m final and the infamous Ben Johnson drug ban. I managed to catch the final live on TV before boarding the bus. Also recall that the bus, to reach 2nd Road, needed to ascend a bit of a hill from the bus park before heading to North Road and then onto Sukhumvit. That also seems to match with the topography at the north end of Beach Road, rather than the flatter Klang area.

Looking back I do wish I had taken more photos of my earlier trips to Pattaya (plus many other places) rather than having now to depend on a memory that is nowadays more prone to fail.:biggrin:  

Anyway, thanks for allowing me  to think back to what I always consider to be the best days of my long connection to Pattaya. Cheers.

I think it was called Soi Regent Marina, now where the Holiday Inn is situated. It had entrance to both beach rd and 2d rd. Tropical Bert had his first bar there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Punch and Judy is still on the go, i had a nice steak there the other evening, good prices too.

Don't know what the soi is called but it's opposite Caddyshack ( which also does a decent breakfast btw ).

How was the service in the Punch and Judy?  I went a couple of times for Sunday lunch when it was reasonably busy and unfortunately it really was disorganised chaos service wise. It was uncomfortsble watching one table eventually lose the rag and have a go at the staff, the owner didn't seem to have a clue.

The food was reasonable value for the price. 

Just now, kinyara said:

How was the service in the Punch and Judy?  I went a couple of times for Sunday lunch when it was reasonably busy and unfortunately it really was disorganised chaos service wise. It was uncomfortsble watching one table eventually lose the rag and have a go at the staff, the owner didn't seem to have a clue.

The food was reasonable value for the price. 

Service was fine, we were about the only people there so it was easy for them.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:14 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Don Pepe opens on Thursday (3rd)

Anyone here been yet.? 

I apologise for being off topic. 

But as a goodwill gesture I will ask has anyone been to the Atelier.? Looks a connoisseurs kind of gaff. 

• 3 weeks later...

That one went down so well I'll try another. 

Small general update

Dicey Reillys was open last weekend, not sure about before or since. The small Katesiree has re-opened, the big one looks a bit shut. At risk of going off topic the Meeting Point has finally given up the struggle, for the moment at least. My regular places keep going but I know they are losing plenty. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

That one went down so well I'll try another. 

Small general update

Dicey Reillys was open last weekend, not sure about before or since. The small Katesiree has re-opened, the big one looks a bit shut. At risk of going off topic the Meeting Point has finally given up the struggle, for the moment at least. My regular places keep going but I know they are losing plenty. 

Meeting Point Soi Khao Talo? Ate there for the first time 2 nights ago. The food was disgusting.

35 minutes ago, polpott said:

Meeting Point Soi Khao Talo? Ate there for the first time 2 nights ago. The food was disgusting.

No the Meeting Point on 2nd Road between Wonderful 2 and the Lek. 

Just passed the Bodega a bit further along and they had at least 20 punters. Last night was the same, Christmas rush at last.!!!

11 hours ago, rott said:

No the Meeting Point on 2nd Road between Wonderful 2 and the Lek. 

Just passed the Bodega a bit further along and they had at least 20 punters. Last night was the same, Christmas rush at last.!!!

While all about them remains empty. What are they offering that is achieving this? Or was it just a large get together like I went to in Jomtiem recently... after a funeral. 

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2020 at 6:50 AM, jacko45k said:

While all about them remains empty. What are they offering that is achieving this? Or was it just a large get together like I went to in Jomtiem recently... after a funeral. 

Possibly they were balloon chasers.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Possibly they were balloon chasers.  

I've never seen a balloon at Bodega bar. Why do you keep making things up?

I'm not surprised Bodega bar would be doing okay, for me I found it because of being a no hassle bar with friendly staff and cold, cheap beer. Can easily see 20 expats there as they were pre-covid

Edited by aussiexpat

5 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm not surprised Bodega bar would be doing okay, for me I found it because of being a no hassle bar with friendly staff and cold, cheap beer.

And don't forget that excellent selection of Cold Cuts.

17 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm not making anything up.  

They may have had a party there, hence why it was busy.  Thus, my balloon chaser comment.

Are you saying you have never seen one party there?

21 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm not surprised Bodega bar would be doing okay, for me I found it because of being a no hassle bar with friendly staff and cold, cheap beer. Can easily see 20 expats there as they were pre-covid

Nice to see you again ae, Bodega has been averaging not much more than half that for a while. That is what I've seen but it is open for 12 hours or so a day so poss not too bad. But compared to how busy they've been daytimes previously it ain't too good either. But now lockdown again so..? I don't know. 

6 hours ago, Hugh Lao said:

Is the corner bar on soi six and second rd still open? I normally don't frequent any particular bar as I try as many different bars as I can on my infrequent sojourns to Pattaya. Only the most tasteful ones of course.

They were before the current order to close bars was announced the other day. 

• Thanks 1