Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

Last week I was glad to see that Natalie's Soul Bar has reopened on Soi Diana, new sign, which was nice. Had a couple of expats in there. They weren't playing Northern Soul or Motown when I looked in, but I know they will on request. I need to stop in next time I'm in the area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

As to the area, I responded to your very limited specification

What are your geographic boundaries that define "Central Pattaya" for you?

You're still about a decade out of date. Was a farang tourist area, now includes Central Festival mall,

And also includes the broke The Avenue Mall.

One closure + One opening = 0 net gain.

Pattaya's always been known for clueless farang business owners, so many as to become the b.u.tts of some classic jokes. Nothing new there; they've come and gone.

They won't be coming back here again anytime soon.  That leaves the "clueless farang business owners" broke, without a dreamer to sell to, and the Thai landlords with a tenant, which means derelict buildings everywhere.

How many times does the obvious need repeating as if it hasn't been said countless times since last April?

If domestic Thai tourism is so large scale, and so lucrative, how come so many places are closed, and for sale, or for rent?  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

And also includes the broke The Avenue Mall.

One closure + One opening = 0 net gain.

The Avenue was never a regular haunt for anyone and quickly failed. No loss. When shops really don't have any business, they close. So much for the TVF Money Laundering Conjecture. Central immediately attracted domestic tourists and locals and became their regular haunt as well that of the newer international tourist demographic.

That popularity as a regular haunt continues. It's silly to try to compare 7 billion baht Central, with over 300 shops (+300) with the tiny inconsequential blip of The Avenue.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

If domestic Thai tourism is so large scale, and so lucrative, how come so many places are closed, and for sale, or for rent?  

No one has ever said Thai tourism is on as large a scale or nearly as lucrative as international. Yet the old haunts for domestic tourists seem in general to be surviving better than many places targeted exclusively to international--and to a quite narrow international demographic at that.

New places for domestic tourists are springing up now that could be come regular haunts in the future. Unlike our bigots here, no Thai sneers at the helpful effects of domestic tourism, least of all those who are beneficiaries from the maids on up. Hence the Pattaya authorities have been thinking how they might get more domestic tourists in during week. So we may have an increase in regular haunts that appeal to Thais as well as expats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The Avenue was never a regular haunt for anyone and quickly failed. No loss.

What's a loss here, or there? ????

When shops really don't have any business, they close.

So do bars, restaurants, and gogo's.  

No one has ever said Thai tourism is on as large a scale or nearly as lucrative as international.

So most of the "haunts" of western tourists will not see any domestic Thai tourists.  Glad we cleared that up.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

In regards the Avenue I quite liked it as my Condo is just behind. Starbucks, McDonalds, Villa Market, DYI store, Cinema, all good places on my way to or from Bodega bar and Wonderful bars across the road ????

Too bad they had no parking. 

Robin Hood still open? 

On 11/7/2020 at 4:18 PM, Leaver said:

I have always categorized "Central Pattaya" as between Klang and Tai, and Beach Road and 3rd Road.  The Beefeater restaurant is in this area.  So they had  Thai family or two, what about all the other restaurants in this area?

Seems odd that central Pattaya comes to an end exactly where Central Pattaya Rd is. The buses from Bangkok used to drop all the passengers at the bottom of Klang too.

(Despite Google Maps also writing Naklua in big letters exactly there).

On 11/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, Leaver said:

What's a loss here, or there? ????

Loss of a haunt is a loss to the hauntees. Those shops in the Avenue were never such and had no customers to mourn their quick deaths. Indeed the death of California Fitness was mostly celebrated owing their sharp business practices. Soon the relatively huge number of new businesses at Central swamped the tiny number of closings at the Avenue.????

So do bars, restaurants, and gogo's.  

The Avenue had no bars or go-gos. If expats were so concerned about restaurants not closing, then they could have packed into Shenanigan's, which served fish 'n' chips and was therefore perfectly respectable. That didn't happen, however. Robin Hood's now surviving--more power to it--but is a beneficiary of closings elsewhere, as the TVF Fixed Pie principle would predict. Not to say it isn't doing some things right.  Meanwhile, as noted above, Starbucks and McDonald's survived. Most members of the Commonwealth wouldn't be caught dead in either, but they are after all also haunts for Thais, so again we come down to the help of domestic tourists and locals, plus some free-thinking expats.

So most of the "haunts" of western tourists will not see any domestic Thai tourists.  Glad we cleared that up.

As they didn't pre-COVID, with some exceptions. Hops, as one example, has been a regular venue for both Thais and Western tourist and expats. Only you somehow managed not to know that, so you may be glad you cleared it up for yourself.

47 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Hops, as one example, has been a regular venue for both Thais and Western tourist and expats. Only you somehow managed not to know that, so you may be glad you cleared it up for yourself.

Hops was my secret go to place when I needed a break from the Pattaya bar scene. Excellent food and always packed with Thai's so you could relax in real Thai atmosphere (as in locals enjoying a German themed restaurant/bar) 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, jacko45k said:

Seems odd that central Pattaya comes to an end exactly where Central Pattaya Rd is. The buses from Bangkok used to drop all the passengers at the bottom of Klang too.

How long ago did buses drop off at the bottom of Klang Rd.? 

Central Pattaya to me was from Klang Rd to Royal Garden (even though the postal address was/is South Pattaya.)

And Beach Rd to Third Rd. 

14 hours ago, rott said:

How long ago did buses drop off at the bottom of Klang Rd.? 

Central Pattaya to me was from Klang Rd to Royal Garden (even though the postal address was/is South Pattaya.)

And Beach Rd to Third Rd. 

Oh a long time ago, maybe over 30 years, I don't recall exactly when the North Rd bus station was opened, but prior the big coaches used to go all the way down Klang and into a hotel car park down there. Was it perhaps  the Nippa Lodge? The postal address was Nongprue for a long time.... probably still is. 

I hope some old timer can come along and help, there was never much sobriety in me once I had been dropped off. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, aussiexpat said:

In regards the Avenue I quite liked it as my Condo is just behind. Starbucks, McDonalds, Villa Market, DYI store, Cinema, all good places on my way to or from Bodega bar and Wonderful bars across the road ????

I liked/like The Avenue too. Pity it doesn't seem to be viable. At the moment you'd have more fun in Mr DIY than your regular bars. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rott said:

Yes another Pattaya optimist, opening a nice not cheap looking gaff in an arcade where other places aren't doing much. 

I wish him the best of luck. 

Didn't even know Big Horn was closed.  Beefeater seems to do OK.

2 hours ago, rott said:

I liked/like The Avenue too. Pity it doesn't seem to be viable. At the moment you'd have more fun in Mr DIY than your regular bars. 

Before Covid came along it was going to be developed into Pattaya's version of Nana Entertainment complex (will it still be post Covid?).

I enjoy my cinema trips to Major, not much else to get excited about there.

31 minutes ago, champers said:

Before Covid came along it was going to be developed into Pattaya's version of Nana Entertainment complex (will it still be post Covid?).

I enjoy my cinema trips to Major, not much else to get excited about there.

That's an urban myth isn't it? I've been hearing that story about the Avenue for nearly 10 years now

Edited by aussiexpat

15 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

That's an urban myth isn't it? I've been hearing that story about the Avenue for nearly 10 years now

There were concrete plans discussed on a substantive thread in these pages about Jan/Feb this year. March was the due date for opening but then Covid came along and the topic died a death.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh a long time ago, maybe over 30 years, I don't recall exactly when the North Rd bus station was opened, but prior the big coaches used to go all the way down Klang and into a hotel car park down there. Was it perhaps  the Nippa Lodge? The postal address was Nongprue for a long time.... probably still is. 

I hope some old timer can come along and help, there was never much sobriety in me once I had been dropped off. 

Before the North Road bus station opened the big Bkk coaches would enter Beach Road at the north end and pull into a parking area, maybe around Soi 3, close to a few shops + ticket office. Not sure that it was a hotel car park as such but there was a hotel nearby. Can't recall the hotel name but it was certainly close to the northern end of Beach Road and well short of Klang. That's what I recall from my first visit to Pattaya in 1981 and numerous visits thereafter until having a permanent base from 1987.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rott said:

Yes another Pattaya optimist, opening a nice not cheap looking gaff in an arcade where other places aren't doing much. 

I wish him the best of luck. 

Hell even Kiss restaurant is struggling there these days....Kiss had turned into a mini Moscow....Packed with Russians at all hours...So good luck to the Tapas restaurant ....

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, jacko45k said:

I think the boundaries I have posted is "Central Pattaya" as in, the Pattaya CBD. (Central Business District)  Walking Street and Soi 6 should also be included.    

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Hell even Kiss restaurant is struggling there these days....Kiss had turned into a mini Moscow....Packed with Russians at all hours...So good luck to the Tapas restaurant ....

"Packed with russians"...............Must be doing well then.

12 hours ago, dabhand said:

That's what I recall from my first visit to Pattaya in 1981 and numerous visits thereafter until having a permanent base from 1987.

Well thanks for your input but I feel very confident the big bus pulled into a place just past Tops.... I recall a girl getting annoyed as I pointed my case out with my foot there. And it most certainly pulled off the main rd as it could turn around in front of the hotel. Always figured the hotel was pushing to get people to check in there. Perhaps pre-bus station a few places got used.  Or my memory is addled. I still think it was the Nipa Lodge, which is now the Basaya Beach Hotel & Resort.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think the boundaries I have posted is "Central Pattaya" as in, the Pattaya CBD. (Central Business District)  Walking Street and Soi 6 should also be included.    

We tend to stick to old memories.... I still call the South end of second Pratumnac as it was known!

26988487_OldPattaya.jpg.521e23deb9645b7f9786548a567da113.jpg

• Like 1

Wednesday noon, Diana Arcade, exactly 1 customer in the all place( at Kiss), one visitor ( me). 

Saw the works at Don Pepe ( ex  Big Horn) doesn't seem the owner is sparing money on the rebuilding. 

Came from Witerspoons Beach Road, where I was the only customer too, till a couple (Thai/foreigner) came in and went to the upperfloor. 

Sad situation. 

• Thanks 1