Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

If your post-Covid plans include a stroll down memory lane in Pattaya, you can cross the TQ off your list of venues to visit. They officially closed the doors and paid off the staff over the weekend. A sad end to 42 years of rock 'n' roll, fun, bell ringing, lady drinking, bar-fining, wet t-shirt contests, champagne toilet, Christmas snow and incredible Back Door parties.

Tahitian Queen on Beach Road, the oldest continuously operating gogo bar in Pattaya. RIP

https://pattayaone.news/farewell-to-tahitian-queen/

Edited by NanLaew
  • Sad 5

On 10/28/2020 at 12:24 PM, BigStar said:

Tough market now, obviously, but TQ's surviving. Needed to cut back on opening hours, staff, and salaries. Won a break on the rent from the landlord.  The quality of the lineup and the music improved. Talked to one of the honchos and received no sense of foreboding. I wouldn't pay much attention to rumors.

Will and Supertom are having a b'day party on Nov. 21, so good at least until then.???? Tip generously.

Lol, seems like the TVF bar assessment experts called this one right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kinyara said:

Lol, seems like the TVF bar assessment experts called this one right. 

Not yet. Now after all a broken clock's right twice a day. And a TVF Doom prediction has no expiration date, ever. So we have old Doomsters who'd predicted the demise of Pattaya decades ago (for the usual reasons), and been suffering disappointment all these years, now claiming vindication from (unrelated) COVID! Gotta love this forum.

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not yet. Now after all a broken clock's right twice a day. And a TVF Doom prediction has no expiration date, ever. So we have old Doomsters who'd predicted the demise of Pattaya decades ago (for the usual reasons), and been suffering disappointment all these years, now claiming vindication from (unrelated) COVID! Gotta love this forum.

Western tourism to Pattaya had been in decline the last few high seasons.  Does that equal a "demise" - no, but the decline was quite sharp. 

Seems like you are the one using covid to make make excuses for the direction Pattaya was heading in way before covid.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

LOL, not back to spouting this nonsense again?

Hardly. 

Ask any business owner how the last high season was, pre covid, they will tell you.  It was the quietest high season for most of them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

That's his thing....lol

99% of it being nonsense.

You visit Pattaya 2 days a month.  That's 10 days for the whole high season from November to Songkran.  Not enough observation time.  

Just now, Leaver said:

You visit Pattaya 2 days a month.  That's 10 days for the whole high season from November to Songkran.  Not enough observation time.  

lol.

Are you suggesting you know all my movements? don't think so sunshine.

I have plenty of observation time don't you worry about that, worry about yourself first.

• Like 1

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

lol.

Are you suggesting you know all my movements? don't think so sunshine.

I have plenty of observation time don't you worry about that, worry about yourself first.

Nothing to worry about.  I know what I saw.  It was the quietest high season for westerners I have every seen here.  This was confirmed by business owners.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Western tourism to Pattaya had been in decline the last few high seasons.  Does that equal a "demise" - no, but the decline was quite sharp. 

Moving the goalpost. Demise, no, as a decline in Western tourism doesn't equate to a demise or even a decline with regards to the economy of Pattaya, as has been pointed out to you numerous times. You see, when a TVF Doomster quaffs a few Changs and bellies up to his keyboard to peck out a portentous Dire Prophecy,

stormclouds.jpg.8f3cc84bf0fc8cd109551bccf6c9a43b.jpg

it's gotta reflect his bona fides and gravitas as a Seer and a Punisher of the stupid, wicked Thais for victimizing all the poor farangs all these years. It's gotta rise to the UK tabloid level to awe the local Brit peanut gallery and put them off their usual fish 'n' chips.

In short, it's gotta be apocalyptic. We're talking bleached ruins, rubble, the starved, rotting corpses being eaten by dogs and rats (many of them condo owners too late to head for exits), the jungle reclaiming the area. Justice at last. It's coming!

As the COVID lockdowns conveniently seem a good start at fulfilling all the dire prophecies, The Beginning of The End, it's not surprising that at least one old Doomster has attempted to claim credit. But, post-COVID, we'll need new ones, I'm afraid.???? Be ready. 

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Seems like you are the one using covid to make make excuses for the direction Pattaya was heading in way before covid.    

Nothing in my post implies any such thing. Misreading.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Moving the goalpost. Demise, no, as a decline in Western tourism doesn't equate to a demise or even a decline with regards to the economy of Pattaya, as has been pointed out to you numerous times. You see, when a TVF Doomster quaffs a few Changs and bellies up to his keyboard to peck out a portentous Dire Prophecy,

stormclouds.jpg.8f3cc84bf0fc8cd109551bccf6c9a43b.jpg

it's gotta reflect his bona fides and gravitas as a Seer and a Punisher of the stupid, wicked Thais for victimizing all the poor farangs all these years. It's gotta rise to the UK tabloid level to impress the local Brit peanut gallery and put them off their usual fish 'n' chips.

In short, it's gotta be apocalyptic. We're talking bleached ruins, rubble, the starved, rotting corpses being eaten by dogs and rats (many of them condo owners too late to head for exits), the jungle reclaiming the area. Justice at last. It's coming!

So the COVID lockdowns seem a good start at fulfilling all the dire prophecies, so not surprising that at least one old Doomster has attempted to claim credit. But, post-COVID, we'll need new ones, I'm afraid.???? Be ready. 

Eloquent post, but no substance.

Speak to business owners here, they will tell you the same.  Last high season was like a low season.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Eloquent post, but no substance.

Speak to business owners here, they will tell you the same.  Last high season was like a low season.  

They always say that and you've only talked to a few. Again, to ride the same ol' hobbyhorse, you're confusing the Pattaya economy with Western tourists only, as TVF Economists degreed from Soi Buakao University inevitably do.

Poster @tropo said it best back in 2011:

LOL. The best method of assessing the economy - walk around Pattaya and talk to some shop owners.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigStar said:

They always say that and you've only talked to a few.

There were not your typical alcohol hole in the wall bar owners.

I talked to quite a few, and the only reason such a conversation would even come is is because it actually was quiet, and not for a night here and there, due to rain, for example, but consistently quiet.  

27 minutes ago, BigStar said:

you're confusing the Pattaya economy with Western tourists only,

No, I'm not confusing the Pattaya economy with western tourists only. 

I have been quiet clear that western tourists were were down, way down.  I accept Chinese were here in record numbers.  

29 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Poster @tropo said it best back in 2011:

LOL. The best method of assessing the economy - walk around Pattaya and talk to some shop owners.

What type of shops?  if you are talking about supermarkets, tourists don't shop there. 

If you are talking about brand name shops in Central Festival, for example, my observations were it was quiet in there also, but I did not speak with any staff there.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Nothing to worry about.  I know what I saw.  It was the quietest high season for westerners I have every seen here.  This was confirmed by business owners.  

But just because it was the quietest YOU have ever seen, does not necessary been it WAS the quietest.

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When you go out you always meet the business owners and always ask how busy they are??

strange...... i never ask them about this and tbh have no interest in speaking to the owners but to each their own, are you a former detective by any chance?

I know some of these owners personally.  I socialize with some of them, outside of their business.  They will approach me to say hello when I am in.  Most of the time, they volunteered information on how quiet it was, and some of their ideas to get people in.

Some owners I just know to say a brief hello to.  It's a more general chat about their place.

Many times they will ask where else have I been that night, and if it was busy.     

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree the last people I want to talk to are the owners and managers, some people almost break a leg trying to do it and buy man drinks, a mystery of life

I'm not a groupie. 

To be honest, and I have said it to them personally, I couldn't think of any place worse to own a business. due to all the bureaucracy and paperwork, and the corruption.  

• Like 1