Red Planet to make itself visible in Thai skies on October 6 and 14

webfact

By THE NATION

800_c7dba61296c0a9c.jpg?v=1601537412

The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) announced on Tuesday that Mars will be close to the Earth on October 6 and 14 and visible to the naked eye if the skies are clear.

The institute has also promised to provide a view of the Red Planet via Facebook Live.

Mars will be 62 million kilometres from the Earth on October 6, and its magnitude on that day will stand at around -2.6.

NARIT added that the planet’s surface will be visible clearly through a telescope.

On October 14, Mars and the Sun will be directly on either side of the Earth. This phenomenon, called “Mars Opposition”, takes place every two years and two months.

The Red Planet will be 62.7 million kilometres from the Earth on October 14 and will be visible throughout the night until the next morning.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395445

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-01

2 hours ago, webfact said:

unless it gets stage fright and call's the gigs off .. an' red ? looks more orange with some grey on it to me or is that the primer and filler before the top coat .. 

Ok, give me a compass heading to look for Mars -- and if this differs widely by time of night, please elaborate (yeah, my astronomy smarts are zip -- I can't remember even being offered an astronomy course option in college.....).