Is an affidavit from US embassy enough to get the Kror Ror 22?

Hi

I got married to my Thai wife in the US and I'm going to extend my O visa with a 1 year extension based on marriage. Seems like I'll need a Kor Ror 22 for this and to get that the US embassy needs to notarize our marriage certificate. However, the US embassy wont notarize marriage certificates so we could only get an affidavit from them. The US embassy has a warning on their website that this affidavit might not be enough for Thai government agencies. After reading lots of threads on the forums most people seem to say that the local amphurs will accept the affidavit but some say they wont and they instead had to go through a very complicated process with US government agencies instead. 

Could anyone clarify whether an affidavit will be accepted or not? 

I do not recall any reports of a Amphoe not accepting a affidavit done at the US embassy to do a self certification of your marriage certificate when registering a foreign marriage.

Same for immigration accepting them when applying for certain extensions of stay applications.

The most important part is to have the affidavit translated to Thai and then getting the consular officers signature on it verified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA and the translation certified of it and your marriage certificate.

• Thanks 1

Getting the affidavit from the US Embassy is the first step.   Then you need it translated to Thai and then blessed by the Thai MFA.  See below earlier thread that gives a good rundown on the process to get your foreign marriage registered with your local district office so you can then get a Kor Ror 22 when needed.

Just now, beachproperty said:

May be easier to get married in Thailand!

But that would require lying on the form saying your are not already married/free to marry....can't get married if you are already married--don't matter if it's to the same or different person.  Of course this means nothing if the Thai authorities look the other way. 

He just needs to do it the right, legal way.

6 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

May be easier to get married in Thailand!

How?

It would mean making a false statement on the affirmation of permit to marry done at a embassy that is required.

Also it does not require much more paperwork to register a foreign marriage than it does to get married.

I Just went though this and now have my KR.22 (I'm Australian), Applied at my wifes Village near Udon Thani

I needed

Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate > Translated > Certified Translation at MFA Ministry of foreign affairs.

Certified Copy of Passport > Translated > Certified Translation at MFA Ministry of foreign affairs.

All this can be done by an Agent. I did the translations + MFA though an agent. I was also able to use just the above at Udon immigration to extend using the 60 family extension.

The marriage certificate needs to show your parents names, address. For Australians like me it's the BDM Marriage certificate not the other one. 

It takes about a week to get the translations and MFA stamps. 

Amphur

I'm not sure if you can just get an affidavit as you still need to get the MFA stamp for the amphur office, that is the only thing they seem to care about but to get the MFA stamp it needs to be legalized by your Embassy apparently which is the embassy stamp. We were caught out with this with my passport, Agent said we only needed a translation but then the Amphur wanted the MFA stamp. So that was two trips to bangkok .

Also at the Amphur ( District Office ) is another process in it's self, I had to get photos with the village head honcho, Photos of house and family, photos of the head of district office. I needed two witnesses to sign the KR.22 document. 

I'm unsure of the whole time frame, first they gave me a pink ID card and yellow house book and no KR.22 . This process took nearly a month. then when that was done they did the KR.22 a day after, which only took an hour or so but it was a huge amount of paper work.

Tip. Ask your local Amphur first what is required. If your partner lives in a close village with an Amphur office you need to apply there. Documents seem to be slightly different. Also ask and see an agent, they will show you what is needed. It would have been much cheaper if i had just paid the agent.

I'm glad this is all over now

6 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

I'm not sure if you can just get an affidavit as you still need to get the MFA stamp for the amphur office, that is the only thing they seem to care about but to get the MFA stamp it needs to be legalized by your Embassy apparently which is the embassy stamp.

A affidavit in his case is the only way he can legalize his marriage certificate without waiting for months to get it done the US.

Not every country's embassy can legalize a marriage certificate or any other document. Ask a person form the UK about it for example.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A affidavit in his case is the only way he can legalize his marriage certificate without waiting for months to get it done the US.

Not every country's embassy can legalize a marriage certificate or any other document. Ask a person form the UK about it for example.

yes, i researched and everything was different. If he can do just the affidavit that's great, it was a nightmare of a process at the village there was only one lady that had any idea what a KR.22 was. I still need to get a KR.2 can this be done at any Amphur ?

6 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

yes, i researched and everything was different. If he can do just the affidavit that's great, it was a nightmare of a process at the village there was only one lady that had any idea what a KR.22 was. I still need to get a KR.2 can this be done at any Amphur ?

You cannot not get a Kor Ror 2 due to getting married outside the country. All you need is the Kor Ror 22 for your foreign marriage registration.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot not get a Kor Ror 2 due to getting married outside the country. All you need is the Kor Ror 22 for your foreign marriage registration.

I did the registration (22) and need:

1) Copy Passport Certified by MFA The Netherlands

2) Translation Passport Certified by MFA Thailand

3) Mariage certificate in English certified by MFA The Netherlands. Not older as 3 months

4) Translation mariage certificate certified by MFA Thailand.

5) Name of father and Mother.

Take care to use always the same translation of your name for all papers and documents in future, an other translator can translate your name different. (driving license, tabian baan, pink ID, by a car, insurance etc.)

We used the headmen of the village as witness and a envelop with 500 baht for both to speed up the process. Although it took 4 hours of waiting at 2 different days.