Vaccine to arrive in Thailand ‘early next year’

snoop1130

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

What can expats expect as far as getting the vaccine apart from very expensive and have to wait unless Embassies can step in and help .

No doubt will be available at your local Bangkok Hospital or affiliates at a premium price.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, connda said:

I'll be the last in line and will only consider it if it's mandated as a requirement for extension.  And if that's the case, I'll attempt to find a vaccine that is based on proven technology.  I don't feel like being a lab rat from an mRNA jab.  But, all the rest of you who want it - don't let me stop you.  Although I'd used to say, "It's a free world", but nowadays?  It's not. 

What's mitochondrial RNA got to do with it? Serious question, not mocking. 

But, seriously, I'm dismayed at all the hate and negative spin here. Thailand's brightest at Mahidol University collaborated with Oxford University to come up with the vaccine. Even Anutin understands that the more people vaccinated (with an effective vaccine) the better. I'll be very surprised if, in the attempt to achieve herd immunity, we're cut from the herd. 

10 hours ago, anchadian said:

I can see Thai hospitals administering the vaccine having a note on their door saying:

Thais - Free

Farangs - B10,000

And what I understand is that certain hospitals have cancelled the 30 baht medical card but that's another subject.

How can 'certain hospitals' cancel the 30Baht medical card? Just your negativity deliberately working overtime. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Could be a different one...

Same like me graduating Magma Cum Laura from Harfurd University.

Just googled it and found an Oxford in Suriname. Perhaps it has a university tucked away somewhere....

Is Harfurd one of the Ivy Plague unis?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

What's mitochondrial RNA got to do with it? Serious question, not mocking. 

But, seriously, I'm dismayed at all the hate and negative spin here. Thailand's brightest at Mahidol University collaborated with Oxford University to come up with the vaccine. Even Anutin understands that the more people vaccinated (with an effective vaccine) the better. I'll be very surprised if, in the attempt to achieve herd immunity, we're cut from the herd. 

mRNA is messenger RNA.  some vaccines use it to introduce genetic material into test subjects.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have they considered the length of time it will take to vaccinate the Thai population?  Some time 2022 would be my guess.  Have they considered that it’s unlikely the vaccine will be more than 60% effective?  That many will refuse to be vaccinated ... myself among them. Will they demand foreigners be vaccinated before they are allowed to enter the country?  In light of this, what are the objective triggers that will move them to open the county.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

What can expats expect as far as getting the vaccine apart from very expensive and have to wait unless Embassies can step in and help .

What does the Thailand government have to do with expats and vaccines? You are a non immigrant  citizen of another country living in Thailand on an extension of stay. Nothing is unclear about that in the Thailand society. You  are not a Thai citizen and no matter how much money you spend in Thailand, you will never be a Thai citizen. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 1

My fear is seeing the first batches hit every University in Thailand to see if they can copy the Vaccine and produce their own, then sell to the public and maybe other overseas Countries, just like the Uni's have done for years with Software ... cracking some of the worlds leading software packages and selling them off at 150 Bt ....

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

Die off in Europe, strapped in a machine. 

Help yourself, register for the vaccine and get one of these yellow WHO vaccination cards where your vaccination gets documented. 

Why does Thailand think it has priority over European countries ? Just because they have signed a worthless document. They sign lots of MOU's in Thailand that mean nothing in the future. The reality is that there is no chance of a vaccine for us for at least 2 years if all goes well. Need to test it on the human guinea pigs first.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaiyen said:

Why does Thailand think it has priority over European countries ? Just because they have signed a worthless document. They sign lots of MOU's in Thailand that mean nothing in the future. The reality is that there is no chance of a vaccine for us for at least 2 years if all goes well. Need to test it on the human guinea pigs first.

That's why they have volunteers who take the risk as a human guinea pig. I did this too as a poor student, and I got paid quite well. 

They explained everything in advance, so it was informed consent. 

The real guinea pigs in Germany - with no informed consent at all - are tumbling around in mental hospitals.