Vaccine to arrive in Thailand ‘early next year’

snoop1130

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I started a thread in the covid forum.  The bar is set very low for this vaccine to be approved for use.  It basically has to help those with mild symptoms and does not have to stop the disease, nor prevent death.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1186778-forbes-article-covid-19-vaccine-protocols-reveal-that-trials-are-designed-to-succeed/

Fake and <deleted> it's a full vaccine as stated by AU GOV....Bla bla bla

15 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Wonder if the university of oxford know or have been informed

I wonder too, where did this story come from? There is no word of a breakthrough in the the vaccine here in Uk, so many false stories on this website

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

will you be getting what is advertised on the tin in Thailand or be charged 50k for saline injection.

I would happily pay for the saline injection, if they make that vaccination compulsory.

... better, than being a guinea pig for vaccines quickly thrown on the market  with a shortened screening and test process and also containing boosters

• Like 2

Omg, so many people here still haven't gotten over the "dirty farang" thing???? I didn't even care and didn't know who said it. So it was this Anutin guy apparently. He indeed successfully got many of you.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

If you are close to the process... and have made that decision to be one of the guinea pigs... of course you're going to be positive in your thinking. I have doctor friends too who are much more dubious... primarily because they recognize that there is no ACTUAL need for a rushed insufficiently tested new technology vaccine. They recognize that even with the old process of vaccine development, that many years are necessary to produce a safe and effective vaccine. And rushing a new technology, under the guise of any EMERGENCY is not really advisable. It is a fact that none of the previous coronavirus vaccines have been successful to date and one only has to look at the efficacy rate of the decades of attempted increase in efficacy of Influenza A and B vaccines to realize that this new rushed SARS2 vaccine will be no Panacea. The real question is... what are going to be the currently unknown side effects of this not fully tested new technological MRNA vaccine?

Indeed...it's the potential long-term side effects that are worrying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sitti said:

Omg, so many people here still haven't gotten over the "dirty farang" thing???? I didn't even care and didn't know who said it. So it was this Anutin guy apparently. He indeed successfully got many of you.

Oops,  your naivety is showing!  ????

• Like 1

It's Going to take some time before there is produced enough vaccines to the entire planet. We don't know if it will be one or 2 doses at the start and then regular shots like the normal flu vaccine, and we don't know which ones will produce the best result with fewest side effects. 

So we're maybe talking about 15 billion doses each year if not more. 

That quite a bit. 

If we take the world largest manufacturer of insulin as an example, Novo Nordisk, they produce 1 billion cartridges, penfills, vials each year.  And that company has approximately 40,000 employees spread around the globe and production facilities in Denmark, US, France, Brazil, China and Russia. Off course you can't compare insulin and vaccines, but both productions share some similarities. 

It's going to be a battle to get the first doses worldwide, because all want it, but production can't keep up.

Will Thailand get their share. I hope so, as I hope for all countries, but let's start using it on those needing it. 60+ aged people, those with chronical diseases where covid 19 is a risk and those working where the risk is higher of getting covid 19.

The rest of us should wait until the production can keep up. 

Just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

The Oxford vaccine’s not a messenger RNA vaccine like the Moderna one, but a modified chimpanzee adenovirus (if that makes you feel any better!)

If you search for how this works you usually find very vague details. The vaccine is based on a genetically engineered version of the common cold virus that usually infects chimpanzees. Viral vector vaccines use live viruses to carry DNA into human cells. The DNA contained in the virus encodes antigens that, once expressed in the infected human cells, elicit an immune response. It causes the infected cells to produce the SAR-COV-2 spike protein which your immune system will learn to recognise and produce antibodies against it. 
There are no viral vector vaccines currently on market for use in humans. There are twelve viral vector vaccines currently in use for veterinary diseases.

16 hours ago, anchadian said:

I can see Thai hospitals administering the vaccine having a note on their door saying:

Thais - Free

Farangs - B10,000

And what I understand is that certain hospitals have cancelled the 30 baht medical card but that's another subject.

They can make it 100,000 Baht for farang for all I care. Anything to discourage us from taking it, because I certainly won't be. I'll leave the country permanently if a mandate ever came into force.

From my reading of the emergency acts, the only possible mandate they have planned is in "outbreak areas". Therefore, it is unlikely any mandate were forthcoming in the near term.

My concern however lies not with a blanket mandate, which is unlikely anyway, but what if stores and businesses require it? Or public transport? 

Interesting about the cancellation of the 30 Baht insurance scheme for Thais and eligible foreigners. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

7 minutes ago, Virt said:

It's Going to take some time before there is produced enough vaccines to the entire planet. We don't know if it will be one or 2 doses at the start and then regular shots like the normal flu vaccine, and we don't know which ones will produce the best result with fewest side effects. 

So we're maybe talking about 15 billion doses each year if not more. 

That quite a bit. 

If we take the world largest manufacturer of insulin as an example, Novo Nordisk, they produce 1 billion cartridges, penfills, vials each year.  And that company has approximately 40,000 employees spread around the globe and production facilities in Denmark, US, France, Brazil, China and Russia. Off course you can't compare insulin and vaccines, but both productions share some similarities. 

It's going to be a battle to get the first doses worldwide, because all want it, but production can't keep up.

Will Thailand get their share. I hope so, as I hope for all countries, but let's start using it on those needing it. 60+ aged people, those with chronical diseases where covid 19 is a risk and those working where the risk is higher of getting covid 19.

The rest of us should wait until the production can keep up. 

Just my opinion. 

A recent Bangkok Post article suggested 33 million doses, enough for half the population is what they're aiming for, not blanket coverage. Bill Gates confirmed this in an interview about a month or two ago - 30-50% vaccination coverage is the aim. Not 90%, because in his words "covid isn't the measles".

"Herd immunity" can be achieved with a coverage of 30-60%, again, figures he has quoted. This is a slight piece of good news for those of us who don't want to get it. I suspect with all the fear mongering both in Thailand and abroad, it is highly likely that the 50% target will be achieved with zero effort on the part of authorities. Even 70-80% of the population will go for it without undue coercion. Thus, the goal of 50% coverage will be greatly exceeded. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Up to you. 

Then you either go to quarantine for 2 weeks or stay away from Thailand for one year, save up all your assets wherever you are, and then apply for a new visa in your country. 

Call it whatever you want, Thailand is a free country and can do what the majority of Thais want. And they want additional Farangs quite obviously.  

In what parallel universe are you living in?

If Thailand imposes masks to enter stores using a machine that doesn't open it's gates if you're not wearing one, and 2 week quarantines and restricted movements I've got news for you - that's the OPPOSITE of free! It's a police state!

Thailand is NOT free. Maybe it never was, but the difference between early March and now in terms of freedom is like night and day. Back then the country could still be considered relatively free. Now, it's anything but and very likely to get worse.

Granted, this is not limited to Thailand, but since the Thai leadership loves nothing more than pleasing foreigners, they will happily show off for the UN and WHO that they're the first in the world to require a vaccine for entry to the country or something of that sort. And then collect a fat check from the WHO. I can totally see that happening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

there is a common misconception amongst large groups of people that there is going to come a time when they will wake up one morning and everything will be back to normal.

It ain't never gonna happen!

We need to learn to live with this; a vaccine is not going to bring an end to this, just like that - we haven't even any idea what sort of vaccine it will be.

We still don't eve understand how to effectively stop transmission of the disease.

If you are an expat in Thailand, you need to think in terms of how you are going to get through the next few years in a country whose economy has shrunk beyond recognition ,will have draconian laws and even civil unrest.

Very well said. 

This misconception is very common amongst Thais too. I suspect the vast majority of Thais believe that in 3 or 6 months from now, the masks will come off and freedom will return. Just because there is no longer a blanket requirement to wear one whenever outside, this doesn't imply freedom is returning. It could simply be the calm before the storm.

I agree this is likely to become even worse.

Draconian laws are already being introduced and as you say, civil unrest is coming. Granted, this is not limited to Thailand of course and things have been shown to be worse in many other countries, principally some Latin American nations, which have in place draconian curfews that start as early as 2pm. Not to mention Qatar, which imposes 3 years in jail for failure to wear a mask. And the list goes on. 

Myself, I'll be carefully considering where to live in the future if it indeed comes out to be like you say. Unfortunately, I fear you are going to be proven correct in your assessment. The future looks bleak globally, but it looks particularly bleak for those of us here in Thailand (perhaps because we're living this nightmare in the moment and feel like we're stuck here...some of us in fact, are stuck). 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

10 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

there is a common misconception amongst large groups of people that there is going to come a time when they will wake up one morning and everything will be back to normal.

It ain't never gonna happen!

We need to learn to live with this; a vaccine is not going to bring an end to this, just like that - we haven't even any idea what sort of vaccine it will be.

We still don't eve understand how to effectively stop transmission of the disease.

If you are an expat in Thailand, you need to think in terms of how you are going to get through the next few years in a country whose economy has shrunk beyond recognition ,will have draconian laws and even civil unrest.

I should mention even if a vaccine never eventuates (and many scientists and experts don't believe it will) all these other draconian measures are scary and disturbing enough. 

3 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I should mention even if a vaccine never eventuates (and many scientists and experts don't believe it will) all these other draconian measures are scary and disturbing enough. 

It's a brave new world,  or at least it better be. Huxley and Orwell being proven right more and more often.  Scary and sad in equal measure. Time to buy some land in deepest darkest Kanchanaburi and start prepping , methinks.

• Like 2