Anyone else got a cold/flu?

giddyup

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And I believe that is the case for many. I have not had my usual levels of coughs and sneezes this year,

Yet I live around people who are habitual mask wearers and they have been sick on and off for the last 6 months. 
I'll say one thing about masks.  I wish when people actually get sick they'd put one on.  The same people I know who have been wearing masks every time they go outside suddenly think they don't need them once they are hacking, coughing, and sneezing.

I've been sick once this year with an upper respiratory infection that most people in and around our village contracted.  I spent time in the sun to up my vitamin D, upped my intake of vitamin C, and generally rested.  I had it beat in 10 days and I'm officially "elderly".  People around me including the habitual mask wearers had it for anywhere from two weeks to two months, including the kids around here who should have more resilient immune systems. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

after 3 months of school, well, 2 real months, both kids for sniffles and one had to stay home a few days

normally I also get sick when I take care of the sick one at home, not yet, but there is time

many kids sneezing in class, NO MASK on...

but hey, they have 99,998 percent survival for their age

• Like 2

I've worn disposable surgical masks daily for almost 7 months now, no cold or flu symptoms. 

But this damp weather has triggered pains in my knee from torn ACL, my torn rotator cuff, my broken ribs, and both ankles....all sports injuries from 10-40 years ago. No I do not like damp weather

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

could be COVID ..... you could be one of the first to try the Chinese vaccine ....

imagine how famous you'll be   !!

I heard the Chinese vaccine is safer than the Russian one...

Capture.PNG

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do you promise to let us know how that goes?

Well surely not Surelynot, sarcasm can only be used and never explained or used in a manner where someone needs special training to understand when and how to use it.  Just like using the afore mentioned medical concoction to cure oneself. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, pomchop said:

Cold and/or flu are both the result of a VIRAL infection.  Covid is a VIRAL infection so why would anyone just assume it is not Covid?   If you were exposed to a cold virus u certainly could have been exposed to a covid virus.

wear a mask, wash hands, stay home are best ways to avoid virus 

With a cold (aka a rhinovirus), a person would have tell-tale signs like a sore throat, possibly followed by congestion and perhaps even the sniffles.

With COVID, symptoms would resemble that of the flu. Aches/pains, high fever, and the possibility of other symptoms. If a person is experiencing symptoms related to the rhinovirus, then obviously it is not COVID (or the flu).

I will give you $0.02 for stating the common cold, the flu, and COVID are all caused by viruses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

I heard the Chinese vaccine is safer than the Russian one...

Capture.PNG

... yes, this one is way better, the Chinese one would most likely turn you into a cross of bat & pangolin ...

I always loved Vlads feminine side, I think she's hot, well, he's hot ... can 'Vlad' be used for both sexes?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, this one is way better, the Chinese one would most likely turn you into a cross of bat & pangolin ...

I always loved Vlads feminine side, I think she's hot, well, he's hot ... can 'Vlad' be used for both sexes?

ladyboy better ?

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, the test is free, but if positive, you can expect a large medical bill, thus, a deterrent to test yourself if feeling ill, and you go on to infect others.  Such Thainess.  

My health insurance agent told me back in April, I was covered, but don't be submitting bills for tests, that weren't authorized.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 5:28 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Shows masks don't work well if this cough and cold is going around. BTW sneezing and sniffles isn't a symptom of Covid 

You see Covidiot Farangs all over flouting masks, especially in Pattaya , I don’t see many people sick at all because of gels and mask 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, impulse said:

If treatment is free, why would they require $100K of insurance?  The responsible, civic minded thing to do is to get tested.   But in the current environment?  Even if testing is free, the consequences of testing positive are pretty much a 100% certainty.  While the odds of being vulnerable or even symptomatic are much lower.   I can't imagine them letting a patient testing positive go back home to recover, regardless.

"If treatment is free, why would they require $100K of insurance?" What a silly question, to fill certain pockets of course.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Except there isn't supposed to be covid here except new arrivals in quarantine, but having said that I wouldn't be surprised if there was an outbreak cluster detected too late. what mad person would go for testing 

Normally you would not expect Covid19 here BUT there have been a number of Cambodians/Burmese caught illegally crossing the border. Also a few truck drivers bringing in supplies from there have tested  positive so there is a slight chance of the general population being exposed. Reason to keep safe and prctice protocals.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, giddyup said:

How many new cases in Pattaya recently? I always wear a mask and wash hands, plus I get my temp taken every time I go in a 7/11, plus I can smell and taste good, so what are the odds I have Covid? Don't people get common colds anymore?

It's about this time of year when I get my annual snotty nose, blocked sinuses, headache and lethargy, which I've often thought was some sort of virus "flying around the place", but it can last for a month or more.

That's why I went and had some allergy tests done, but they were negative, although other people have said that the tests here are next to useless. 

So I self medicated with Aerius and Nasonex nasal spray and that does it for me, so whenever this part of the year comes around, I have Aerius handy and always use the Nasonex.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Except there isn't supposed to be covid here except new arrivals in quarantine, but having said that I wouldn't be surprised if there was an outbreak cluster detected too late. what mad person would go for testing 

there are thousands of Covid cases here in Thailand.

There is zero testing done except the quarantine arrivals.

for sure, nobody is dying (as far as i am aware)

but you really think there are no Covid cases here?

Asymptomatic for sure, in their thousands, but nothing reported.

but nothing to worry about, as the vast majority are mild

On 10/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I have had the cough, the sniffles and lots of sneezing.  I put mine down to seasonal allergies.  Can't have the flu, I got the flu shot earlier in the summer.  Won't go to a hospital or a clinic as it is not debilitating. 

Just because you have a flu shot does not mean you can't catch flu

Just google the different symptoms for Covid19 and colds and flu. There r differences.

I usually  spend winters in Esaan and have noticed that there are some virulent viruses that circulate each year. I know because I usually catch 1 or 2 of them from my missus's snotty-nosed kids when they come to stay....bless-em. Also the many open fronted clinics in town are usually full in the evenings during November and December. Most colds I get usually have a cough and sore throat towards the end but last November the kids, my missus and myself had one that started with a cough which continued almost throughout. I wonder if we actually had Covid19 or a milder version of it. Also I wonder if these seasonal viruses that preceded Covid19 in Thailand lent Thai people, some degree of protection which might explain why Thailand got off so lightly.

3 minutes ago, peleid said:

Just because you have a flu shot does not mean you can't catch flu

You do understand sarcasm do you not?  I used to get sick within a day of getting the flu shot, and I always blamed it on the injection versus possibly picking it up in the waiting room at the doctors office.  Enjoy your night.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:12 PM, giddyup said:

How many new cases in Pattaya recently? I always wear a mask and wash hands, plus I get my temp taken every time I go in a 7/11, plus I can smell and taste good, so what are the odds I have Covid? Don't people get common colds anymore?

Ask yourself how many people have been tested out of the 70 million people who live there and dont believe the government figers they only care about saving face the maths simply dont add up so it's best to be tested just in case it's not just a cold