Tyres in Thailand today not years yesterday.

Kwasaki

Like Trans in Thai motors I find bike Thai forum boring but was thinking how many tyre experts in Thailand or let's say knowledgable guys here that are experienced motorbike riders say on what's good on there particular motorbike.

Don't want to criticize just interested in what people think and do when it comes to tyres. 

Say a particular make is it in your head or just because you paid a lot. 

Tyres psi pressure in Thailand what knowledge do you input into the psi use of your tyres. 

Mine is a Sportsbike so different to to most bikes because of larger cc and power and Thailand mainly because of heat. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Almost thirty years riding all manner of motorcycles in LOS, including a Kwaka 900 and a Yamaha Genesis. I put Michelins on all of them, plus several Honda Dreams belonging to Mrs P over the years. I admit that I am biased, - I put them on a brand new Triumph Daytona 500 in 1971 in Oz at the suggestion of a professional biker, after the original Dunlops wore out in weeks. We shipped the missus' 125 Dream here to Oz when we moved away from the Chiang Mai smoke pollution (and Thai driving) a couple of years ago. Put new Michelins in the spares box, plus a chain and sprockets etc. When I registered it a few months ago, I put the Michelins on. The bloke who passed it for rego in Oz said "why did you put them on - they are worth more than the bloody bike" ! He services the 'postal-bikes' (<deleted> Chinese-made single-seat copy of a Dream) and took ours for a spin. He said the Michelins made it "corner on rails". As someone else said - they are the most important part of the bike. 

• Like 2

My last motorbike was over 50 years back, it had nobbly tread, the scooters before that had  a nobbly tread, I could throw the things all over the place and never come off, but the odd time I use her scooter, which ever one she had, I was not at all happy with the feel of modern day "slick" type tyres, whether in the wet or dirty/sandy roads...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

So for my Africa Twin for example it came with stock Dunlop Trailmax I think they are called. Didn't like them. Didn't give me enough confidence on dry road and in wet not at all. Offroad useless.

Wanted to go for Pirelli Scorpion Trail next but couldn't get them quickly enough so settled for Metzeler Tourance Next. Since I was riding all over Thailand I thought maybe time to get something that handles light offroading better so went for Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR. ut at the same time very good grip on road and even OK in the wet. The only annoying thing is a bit of noise from the front. Not sure what I'll try next.

For my Ducati Scrambler I never tried anything else than the OEM Pirelli MT90 because I was very happy with them.

On my CBR500R I get very happy with Diablo Rosso III (and II before) and see not much reason to look for something else. I was also happy with the Michelin Pilot Road I think it was.

In general I tend to get a lot of milage out of a tire in Thailand because the grip isn't there to ride more aggressively. 10k - 20k km.

I am aware that at that point the tire is hot so have to adjust the PSI accordingly as recommended ones are for cold state.

Good call, the reason for this thread thanks.

Where we differ is I like Dunlop trailmax.

Pirelli Scorpion Trail in 2 years showed signs of cracks in side walls and they were within date.

Metzeler I not familiar with but son likes them but a supersport bike tyre so not same for you.

As for other tyres you mention good info. 

PSI tyre setting from cold as they say in hot Thailand is for me a minus 6 PSI from the recomemded OEM.

3 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Michelins made it "corner on rails". As someone else said - they are the most important part of the bike. 

Yeah many people like Michelins they come out number 1 tyre in the world.

Don't like em personally myself on a super sportbike.

On something like a Dream I think nowadays you can find many tyres that would be just as good.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on what you want, there are many different tires for different purposes, a general answer isn't possible.

But i recommend to first check which tires are actually available in Thailand in the required size before looking at reviews from other countries. The available options are quite limited compared to for example Europe.

PSI depends on personal preferences, just try different pressures and see what suits you.

Good stuff.

I would just add, tyres on a powerful bike is I see as a very personal thing, the way person rides the feel from the road is important and individual.

There is a real Pirelli shop in Bangkok. Sadly the guy who used to run it lost an argument with a wall late one night. But the shop is still in business. I am sure they would send you some tires.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Funny? For years I had him on ignore. Always waffling on about V8's? but I can't really remember.

His calm down now ???? .

Met him one time nice to know.

I would luv to stick a V8 in my Isuzu truck. ????