Fauci says his remarks were taken out of context in Trump ad

webfact

7 minutes ago, J Town said:

“In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed, nor do I now endorse, any political candidates,” Fauci said in a statement reported by NBC News. “The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials.” ~ Dr. Fauci

I admire your dedication to be able to ignore that paragraph. 

From the OP:

"In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate," Fauci said in a statement.

"The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials," his statement added.

5 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

From the OP:

"In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate," Fauci said in a statement.

"The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials," his statement added.

So which version of evidence don't you understand? This is very clear that Dr. Fauci was misquoted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wow!

Does that mean that now Trump will call fox news fake news?

He already had complaints in the past. Wanted that reporter who confirmed the 'losers' story sacked. As for Fox - the news section isn't as bad as the Fox & Friends part.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

the campaign ad:

"President Trump is recovering from the coronavirus, and so is America," the ad's narrator says. "Together we rose to meet the challenge, protecting our seniors, getting them life-saving drugs in record time, sparing no expense."
The ad then flashes to an interview with Fauci in which he says, "I can't imagine that anybody could be doing more."

text of fauci's interview in march:

"We've never had a threat like this. The coordinated response has been...There are a number of adjectives to describe it -- impressive, I think is one of them. We're talking about all hands on deck. I, as one of many people on a team, I'm not the only person," Fauci said at the time. "Since the beginning, that we even recognized what this was, I have been devoting almost full time on this. I'm down at the White House virtually every day with the task force. It's every single day. So, I can't imagine that under any circumstances that anybody could be doing more."

So they not only took it out of context, but also truncated the sentence.

Edited by candide

3 minutes ago, candide said:

So they not only took it out of context, but also truncated the setence.

that's the beauty of quote mining.

you take something someone actually said, remove the context, and can often get it to appear to mean something exactly opposite what was intended.

you'll often see that in movie reviews.  the critic says "incredible flaming pile of poop!", and on the back of the dvd cover is printed "incredible"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

Hmmm well the context is conveniently not given in the quoted text.

The context was the question to which this was the answer.

It was an answer to a specific question (I just read your previous posts), I don't formally disagree with it. He was asked whether he has witnessed "this big of a coordinated response by an administration"

However -you may try to twist it in any way you want- it was not an answer to, or a comment on:

"President Trump tackled the virus head-on, as leaders should,"

So yes, it has been definitely used out of context!

Edited by candide
  • Thanks 2