STV: Not a single Chinese person actually applied for a special visa - TAT supplied "list of names"

webfact

10 hours ago, Brunolem said:

One wonder why foreigners would accept to jump through so many (expensive) hoops in order to go in holiday, especially the Chinese who don't lack places to visit within their own country.

indeed, I am told some of the local attractions are operating as usual or better this time of year.

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Everyone except Thailand. 

They have had it so good for so long they have totally lost all sense of perspective and reality.

It’s not surprising Thai women think foreigners are all millionaires and have 6 months holiday a year. 

And a tree in the garden that grows 100 Euro bills.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Be careful what you wish for. They may make it even harder in a sulking fit.

For the "genuine tourist", I don't see how it could be!

IMO, no tourist including "snowbirds" (includes me) is even considering Thailand unless and until the quarantine requirements are waived or very heavily modified....and for that to happen, the authorities would have to back down so massively that they'd lose all face. Insurance isn't a problem, flights will slowly open up, even getting a test before leaving home to get a COE is irritating but "doable" but 2 weeks in their quarantine - no thank you!

OK this thread specifically refers to the Chinese, but what tourist of any nationality is even going to consider Thailand at present?

Different for those of you who live and have relationships / possessions in Thailand, I do realise but this thread is about STV and, as I say Chinese in particular.

And @rumak I guess this serves as a reply to you too.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

You have<deleted> your tourism industry, and people will look for alternative, more accommodating destinations !

Congratulations !  

So true there are much better and cheaper places where you dont need to jump through hoops and once people go this will be their main holiday destination for many years to come

Glad they didn't apply and none are coming, China just started testing 9 million people as they found a cluster of new infections after people returned from their golden week vacation

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Myself, being in my mid 30s and love everything Thailand has to offer - and were (up until recently) spending 6-8 months per year in the country, I could never align the idea that there was a demand for this kind of a setup. 0 submissions from a country of 1.4 billion. 

Working in corporate finance I've asked around (for fun) with some high worth individuals (older peeps), and there's a common: no chance in hell. "Thailand is good, but not quarantine 2 weeks good". 

Who did the market research for Thailand? How on earth can they be so uninformed with something that is an essential part of their economy. Amazes me. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

You have<deleted> your tourism industry, and people will look for alternative, more accommodating destinations !

Congratulations !  

They  the Thai people don't want you. Why should 25 million agrarian workers care about Pattaya tourism? Thailand will spring back eventually and not rely on foreigners. Go look for better places. Good luck!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Glad they didn't apply and none are coming, China just started testing 9 million people as they found a cluster of new infections after people returned from their golden week vacation

Yep the Thais are not stupid like the brits, yanks or Aussies.

• Confused 4

I have been told quite confidently by a Thai that some Chinese tourists arrived in Thailand on schedule, apparently it was reported in one of the Thai language newspapers very recently, maybe they made a mistake in their reports.

Edited by ukrules
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I completed the first step in applying but am told Canada is “medium risk” country and not allowed . But, the article implies, they are going to open it to the UK? Their COVID-19 numbers are worse than ours!

If they ever come through and approve me for this visa, I’m not sure I would go for it, given all the expense and hassle and I am pretty motivated to get back for personal reasons.

Someone with some common sense needs to review this whole program and make it workable, but I am not sure anyone fitting that description works at the TAT or any of the other government departments involved.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

Please do not spread fake news.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/12/asia/china-qingdao-coronavirus-golden-week-intl-hnk/index.html

China has been largely coronavirus free since mid-August, with all cases reported by the country imported from elsewhere. But as of October 11, Qingdao has reported a dozen locally transmitted cases, all of which have been linked to a hospital treating imported infections, the city's Municipal Health Commission said in a statement Monday.

With all those strict requirement, which true tourist would want to come?

Vegetarian festival indeed....

As I have said, remove all the 14 days quarantine, insurance requirements etc and they will come.

Just do a Covid test in their home country. That should be sufficient before giving approval to allow them to board the plane.

This is the only practical way.

Edited by EricTh

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Where have all the tourists gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Thais ripped them off, every one
When will they ever learn?

Thank you for the Seeger and Hickerson nostalgia  The adaptation is still relevant today.

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

The thing is, because of their skin color, you can't tell if a Thai has a red face or not, but i'm sure that there are more than a few and some even with eggs on their faces...

Another way of spotting this is a unexpected punch to the back of the head, one of which I have experienced

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Long time passing
Long time ago
Thais ripped them off, every one

The lesson is repeated until it is learned grasshopper!